Fellowship of the Newbie Continued

I also liked Swordpoint but I was the Germans so I'm not sure how the Allied side felt. Getting across the bridge did my opponent in.

So am I co-champion since we didn't get a final round? I'm not afraid to admit though I barely won a couple battles which I felt heavily favored my side.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep all over.

Congrats to Webs, Shades and Ace Pilot for taking out the honours for their section. There is no planned play off for ultimate champion, though you guys are more than welcome to organise this amoungst the three of you.

You can discuss the battles as much as you like - feedback for the designers is always appreciated.

Blecch. I hated Sword Point, as Allies.

First off, the write-up that no Germans had moved into town overnight. They may have been on the point, but that was OK. On turn one, I moved my airborne into a row of building, only to have them slaughtered:

Turn 1

Plan:

In a somewhat unexpected development right off the bat, a German halftrack (?) has been spotted in the southwest corner of town. It has LOS to only one of my units, C platoon HQ by the guns' destination. Most disturbingly, I may not be able to move my guns if the German forces are upon me already. Regardless, they are limbering up to start.

E platoon on the northwest is melting back into the woods. It will swing south towards the Point with a PIAT and a mortar. First stop is the woods by the light building near the bridgehead. One mortar is staying put as smoke support for the moving AT guns. So are the PIATs by the road, which will get a chance at the halftrack if it advances. B platoon will sneak south to enter the row of apartment buildings that runs south to the road to the Point.

C platoon will cross the street to the east and enter the southwest corner of the southern C-shaped apartment block with two PIATs. I am wondering what to do with D platoon, however. I had planned to send it east as well, but if the germans lie primarily south, all that would happen is that I would at best maybe hold up German reinforcements. Because I don't know where the Germans are, however, sitting in place is not helpful either, and smacks too much of reaction rather than action, as would a move south. D platoon will move southeast and take up observer postions in the southwest corner of the building in front of it. A half-squad or two may eventually work their way east inside the complex to recon.

Results:

It didn't take long to lose this game.

The Germans have moved into town overnight.

On the south, my B platoon immediately spotted a squad of militia in the building a mere 35m away, exactly where the PIAT team was headed. Under fire, the German squad retreated to the next row of buildings east and the PIAT made it in. The halftrack retreated as well. Unfortunately, a light gun due south of B platoon has opened up as well. I lost three men from the Vickers team and three men from B platoon proper. In return, I incapacitated two militia. The platoon detects infantry sound contacts coming from the south.

C and D platoons ran headlong into more militia - at least eight units' worth and probably a whole company. The green Germans slaughtered my airborne. After a minute of fighting, the Germans have lost five infantrymen (known) and a Panzerschreck team. I have lost 18 vets (including all of D platoon HQ), five regulars, a mortar, and three PIAT teams. The northern Vickers is dueling with a German light gun in woods 45m away.

I posted my full Sword Point AAR in the last thread, at http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=024818;p=11

I spent the rest of the scenario with very limited infantry. getting across the bridge was a snap, as I smoked the point nice and good before crossing. It's just that with a Panther guarding each side of the crossroads I had to cross, my tanks were bottled up and I could not move into town.

That was, I think, the only battle I lost, 57-43. I had won the other battle with a 54-32 minor victory, but I lost points for not garrisoning my rear flag, which my opponent never came close to. That one should have been a 68-32 tactical victory.

Oh, here are my Wiltz and OLP AARs (with pics at the Web pages). I thought Wiltz really favoured the Germans, which I played. I employed the basic Blitzkrieg - my armour rammed through his left while my infantry kept the choke point open. The terrain seriously favoured the attacker. To quote from my AAR: "With the meagre Yank force, the American commander had to cover both (western and eastern) routes of advance, and even if the forces were balanced, the terrain dictated that he couldn't cover it all. Forces on the left couldn't cover forces on the right and vice versa because of all the hills and trees. Since I could concentrate my AFVs as well as probe with infantry, I could attack in strength at a weak point. He just didn't have enough to prevent a breakthrough."

Wiltz: http://101squadron.com/CMpics/wiltz/wiltz.html

OLP: http://101squadron.com/CMpics/wiltz/push.html

Webs – nice AARs.

It’s interesting how the outcome of a scenario can impact one’s perception. I thought between Wiltz and OLP, OLP was the unbalanced scenario, but that’s probably because the Germans surrendered to me in OLP. I thought Wiltz was fairly well balanced, but that may be because 1) my opponent played the Americans well, and 2) I tried going up the middle somewhat instead of focusing on the flank. When my attack bogged down in the middle, I shifted everything to my left, similar to your plan from the start. The big difference was I lost a lot going up the middle and didn’t have enough time to complete the attack on the left.

It seems to me that our situation in OLP was reversed – you started up the middle and then shifted to the left flank where you started having success. I sent a force around the left flank at the start and wound up having an easy time of OLP. I guess the lesson learned here is - always hit 'em in the flank!