historical grogs - do you play in mud?

Was at the Dogs of War message board and someone asked what terrain we prefer. I replied that I don't care, but that I want to try deep mud. Why? Because I haven't played in mud yet. smile.gif

Anyways, my question is aimed at you historical grognards. If you insist on historical OOBs, then do you also insist on playing in mud or deep mud? Everything I've read lately indicates that from Sep44 to Mar45 that is pretty much all the terrain was...mud. If it wasn't frozen, it was mud, and in some cases, deep mud. So, what's the story historical nuts? You really historical or not?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I would have to say yes.

I tend to play with what ever is given, weather or unit wise. Of course I am kind of strange in that I don't care if I lose or not. Trying to do the best with whatever I have in what ever conditions is all I try to do.

So Yes I like playing in Mud, rain, snow, night, fog, ect.

The same way I like being given odd ball units that I might not normal pick for myself.

Sure it might be a lot harder to win, or maybe even impossible, but thats not the point. The point is trying and learning new things... and having a lot of fun doing it.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

I usually let my opponents pick that, and they almost always pick dry and overcast, which is an unlikely combination at best. But now that you've mentioned it, I'll ask for mud more often. I'm not looking forward to dragging VVSS Shermans through it though frown.gif

------------------

"Good for burn infantry. WERY cheap!"

Originally posted by Juardis:

Was at the Dogs of War message board and someone asked what terrain we prefer. I replied that I don't care, but that I want to try deep mud. Why? Because I haven't played in mud yet. smile.gif

Anyways, my question is aimed at you historical grognards. If you insist on historical OOBs, then do you also insist on playing in mud or deep mud? Everything I've read lately indicates that from Sep44 to Mar45 that is pretty much all the terrain was...mud. If it wasn't frozen, it was mud, and in some cases, deep mud. So, what's the story historical nuts? You really historical or not?

Playing with mud is for amateurs. Real grogs sit in mud while playing.

Dawn/dusk/overcast/rain/fog... I love them all! Actually, I still get a charge out of listening to the thunder during rain. I tend to favour random weather for PBEM's, unless we're trying for a specific action.

Guest Martin Cracauer

I prefer random weather and even random time when trust is there between me and my opponents. The engine ensures enough mud then :)

For the record, the tournamenthouse opponents I play all agreed to random weather and time in my setup, while they play German. It can't be that bad with systematic German playing and/or cheat fear at TH.

Originally posted by Martin Cracauer:

I prefer random weather and even random time when trust is there between me and my opponents. The engine ensures enough mud then :)

For the record, the tournamenthouse opponents I play all agreed to random weather and time in my setup, while they play German. It can't be that bad with systematic German playing and/or cheat fear at TH.

I agree with the Random weather, you will come up with Mud sooner or later. I know I was a litle unprepared for it the first time lol, watching in pain as my Shermans mucked about then immobilized. smile.gif Mud can be a fun break IMO but a steady diet wouldn't be so enjoyable. When I'm playing the Germans I am not concerned about Random weather at all really since most of their AFVs have better ground pressure than the Allies on average.

> they almost always pick dry and overcast, which is an unlikely combination at best.

Presumably you haven't spent much time in Europe. The "overcast" sky in CM would be more convincing if it were just plain white, not threatening grey.

------------------

"Compared to the European armies, Americans had a permissive view toward the authority of doctrine and considered blind obedience to doctrine a vice, not a virtue." – Michael Doubler's "Closing With The Enemy" in brief

Guest Rex_Bellator

I don't know about how many players have played a CMBO mission in mud, but I bet more have paid to watch two half-naked women playing in mud, possibly sheep in one famous instance wink.gif

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

"I'm equally sure that no mud in the world is so deep or sticky or wet as European mud. It doesn't even have an honest color like ordinary mud."

Bill Mauldin

Hehehe, that's a good quote. You know someone that was in the 28th or do you just like the name bloodybucket?

The only problem I have is with the realism with playing in mud or deep mud. The allies knew that there tanks sucked ass in mud so without a road of some sort any armored attacked over deep muddy fields would just be suicide.

Ever notice that in ALOT of the pictures you see of Shermans in combat that they are sitting on roads. wink.gif

Jeff

------------------

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Guest Andrew Hedges

I like to play random weather (not time, as there weren't that many night battles), and so I've played in mud a couple of times. Random weather makes purchasing more realistic IMO.

Well here I am right now, trying to defend

a city as Axis. So I have a fairly long front

in which to defend. About a 3'rd of

my left flank is marsh, so I consintrate

my defense's to my right, (assuming he's not

going to take his units for his "Assault" through the marsh. : (- well what do i see

Oodle's of infentry running through the marshland under the cover of smoke. Oh @#$%

I say to myself. The moral of the story, I don't know but it "deeked" me out. I mean who

would want to get the boots dirty anyways smile.gif

------------------

"Is this thing loaded!"