WHATS YOUR FAVORITE?

After playing combat mission a year this july I have wondered what others think about the scenarios that come with the disk. Now I finally decided to ask whats your favorite scenario, and on wednsday I will compile the overall info and tell you which is the most popular CMBO (on disk) scenario thanks. Only exception is Vally of Trouble (from gold demo)

-Niles "Fieldmarshall" Hirschi

P.S. my favorite are

Chance Encounter

Hemmikeln we start here

All or Nothing

Thanks ahead for the feedback

;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vonkluge:

After playing combat mission a year this july I have wondered what others think about the scenarios that come with the disk. Now I finally decided to ask whats your favorite scenario, and on wednsday I will compile the overall info and tell you which is the most popular CMBO (on disk) scenario thanks. Only exception is Vally of Trouble (from gold demo)

-Niles "Fieldmarshall" Hirschi

P.S. my favorite are

Chance Encounter

Hemmikeln we start here

All or Nothing

Thanks ahead for the feedback

;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you on Hemmikeln we start he...that is a great scenario

1st Clash at Cambes- a brawl and a half. Up close and long range, little bit of everything.

I always liked the Last Defense... call it nostalgia. I always knew those bastards were coming, but I never knew how it would turn out.

CE goes without saying- but my most memorable battles (outside of the First Three... Riesberg changed my life) have been QBs. God bless whomever thunk up the QB editor. Except for the map shapes and some other things. But even so.

It's not a scenario, but I'd have to speak up for the operation "Ardennes--Team DeSobry". "First Clash at Chambois" is also cool. I also like the one in the bocage with the three crack/elite Panthers. Can't remember it's name.

I've downloaded so many user-made scenarios that I'm far from played all the CD ones.

Hamminkeln is an interesting one no doubt. Green germans with some serious armor reinforcements versus Ami paratroopers. Playing a PBEM of it right now as the Allies, and have got it pretty much wrapped up.

[spoiler STUFF]

And this without getting any of the CAS that was supposed to come on turn 12!

However, as a test of this scenario, I took the Americans and had them camp out and wait. A few turns before the end, I performed the "mother of all flag rushes". Got the victory. Now not sure how that would play out with a real opponent, but it was an interesting test.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Windopaene ]

I got well over 650 scenarios in my folder and seeing as I do mostly QBs for my PBEMs I'd say there is a margin before I'm tired of those.

For stock scenarios I must say that I have a certain fondness for Kommerscheidt.

That's challenging.

Mind you, Last Defense being the first I ever played before the Beta Gold, it's a special something...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I also like the one in the bocage with the three crack/elite Panthers. Can't remember it's name.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that's "Le Lorey-A Hard Stand" with Barkmann and a small group of Panthers. Watch those side roads...

One of my favorite operations is "Drive to Mortain." Can give surprises to an Allied player with all the bocage. It's quite difficult for the German player too since losses are not replaceable. Trying to stop company after company of tanks and infantry starts taking its toll... I rejoiced at having been reinforced with a PzKpfw IVH...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

One of my favorite operations is "Drive to Mortain." Can give surprises to an Allied player with all the bocage. It's quite difficult for the German player too since losses are not replaceable. Trying to stop company after company of tanks and infantry starts taking its toll... I rejoiced at having been reinforced with a PzKpfw IVH...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good one. Bocage, btw, cuts both ways for Allies. It can create surprises, but since Allied tanks can drive through it, it can also enhance flanking possibilites and provides good cover against enemy tanks. It's probably more favorable for Allies in CM than in real life, in part because in actuality only about 1/4 of all US tanks had bocage-cutters and then only late in the campaign.

A few comments below.

DRIVE TO MORTAIN--Regarding reinforcements

Possible Spoilers

I played this as Allies and received, I think, ten tanks total, which I is two platoons. A US tank company is three platoons--17 tanks including a couple for HQ, as I understand it. I finished in four of six rounds, so there may be some later rounds of reinforcements I missed. I got an infantry platoon after the first battle and an infantry company + HTs after the second, but no new tanks, or no more than one or two, that I recall. Also, I'm guessing from the Allied briefing that the AI doles out reinforcements selectively. The worse you're doing, the more reinforcements you get, from the battalion or regimental level. So if Warmaker killed off several companies of tanks or even several platoons, that must have meant that he was doing pretty well and the AI kept pushing in those reinforcements.

BTW, I only encountered one tank the whole time, a PzIV that appeared, and died, in the first battle. Lots of AT guns, though, and plenty of ferocious infantry that seemed to have no compunctions about charging my tanks. Certain death for them, but they killed a couple of tanks in close assaults.

I have not played all the original scenarios yet, but of the ones I have played on the CD:

Wiltz (My M-10 was amazing)

Reisberg

Valley of Trouble

anyone else play the demo Chance Encounter, learning the game, then try VoT and were awestruck when that beautiful valley appeared? I got chills.