Vets only please. Others can read. . .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

Suddenly I like you. See, it's the "glorious" moments like that which the recruiters and the flag-wavers forget to tell wannabes about. They don't tell us that jobs like that have to get done every day. They use their glossy TV ads to show all these happy (refreshed-looking) guys enjoying cool outdoor fun, but, pending the invention of smell-o-vision, the prospective newbie is be unaware of what happens when 75,000 men go camping.

I hope you got a medal or somethin' ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe...you got that right. They always show tanks jumping over hillocks and flying through the air. They never show the pissed off tankers 15 minutes later, lying in the rain and mud trying to put the damned tracks back on. Those vehicles in the ads always look like tanks from the pass-in-review parade: nice and shiny and clean.

They never show the 3 hours waiting in the wash rack line after the fun exercises, either.

Or mixing exactly the right combination of black paint and gasoline to produce the stain for the plywood map-holders that the Chief of Staff liked so much.

Or the effort of spreading sawdust on the floor of the Division Tactical Operations Center because it gave it a more "military" appearance than plain canvas. The static on the plexiglass map covers attracted the sawdust, making the Division Sitrep map illegible, and attracted lice. The sawdust (with lice) was carefully shovelled up and bagged for use at the next location.

Or spray painting the underside of the HQ vehicles flat black, dirt, grease, and all, to pass quick inspections.

War is hell, but peace was a ............

The term "vet" has two legitimate uses, in different contexts; surviving the military, and surviving combat, are two very different things.

Vietnam is where I served. I flew armed helictopers in close ground support. CM is a great game, and I thoroughly enjoy it. One of the most challenging things about combat is competing against the other side. That is exactly what we're doing in CM.

Thank you for your responses. Not having served, I can't relate to the accuracy in CM (but I do appreciate it). I have felt regret in watching a routed infantry squad flee into my perfectly timed artillery barrage. I don't remember a game that caused me to say out load "don't rush that" house! Knowing that I have a SMG squad and an MG in hiding. I guess that, in a way, that is a good thing.

I am not a war veteran, so I would hazard to guess that Combat Mission is largely a game of abstraction when compared to real combat engagements. Elements that traumatize a person; blood, dismembered limbs, the retched odor of burnt flesh, screams of the dying and the need for writing letters to family members who just lost their son simply does not exist in Combat Mission.

I believe the selling line for Westwood’s Command and Conquer series sums it up best for the war game genre:

"All of the power. None of the responsibility."

<table>

<tr>

<td cellspacing="2">

War in Space</td>

<td>sscassieblue.gif

</td>

</tr>

</table>

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: Boeman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Turn five:

-Sent my mop and bucket team to the barracks hallway in hunt mode.

-My foxtail operator has run into a large ambush of ghost turds, he will need back up.

-My liberty squad has been waylaid when they stumbled into the control radius of the paint detail CO.

-Many of my squads are busy hunting for barracks beer leeches.

-Another of my squads has been eliminated for mis-identifying a Sgt Major as a Gunny. It will spend the rest of the game picking up cigarette butts from the parking lot.

Peace is hell.

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It just keeps getting better!

:D

Michael

Gyrene, you would be pleased to know that the "honeysucker" truck still runs in Camp Pendleton. Everytime we see that guy we think,"sucks to be him." Funny thing is that he probably makes 2-3 times more than any serviceman.

Here's a nasty thought for the others: In Edson Range (where the recruits train) at Camp Pendleton the "honeysucker" guy complains to the nearest officer if his equipment gets clogged up by some recruit's garbage. Guess what has to happen next? Hint, hint... all fingers point towards the recruit. No gloves will be involved. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well, think I'll get me another cup of rotgut." That was a signal to everyone else in the hooch that the ritual was about to begin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael, when I was a Pvt. or PFC I could have sworn that Staff NCO's (E-6 and up in the Gun Club) were issued coffee cups with their first rocker stripe!

They also seem to have a standard manual of arms for the coffee cup, which involves holding the cup at chest level with your forearm parallel to the floor, and it doesn't involve much actual coffee drinking as much as walking around with it all day.

Coffee drinking did really seem a SNCO ritual as partaking in the ritual was frowned upon when we lowly boots did it. (Outside the mess hall)

Another bizarre Marine ritual was the adoption of chewing tobacco by fresh -from-boot Marines. I remember how when we were left at ease in formation outside any place in Camp Pendleton that 90% of us (Not me, for one) would "dip up" and proceed with the disgusting ritual of chewing and spitting and generally fouling up the air (Dip breath makes smoker's breath smell like peppermints). You could always tell were a platoon had been "parked" for a while as the ground would be covered in spit, looking from a distance as if someone had parked a dozen old buicks on that spot.

Another danger of dipping is that you could never safely set down a soda can anywhere and leave it unattended for more than a few seconds, as some dipping bastard would re-appropriate it as his personal spit reservoir, and yes, there have been several "accidents" were unwary soda owners would return and drink from their cans. Also you could never throw any paperwork in the trash that you think you might need again,as it too would be coated in the sickening brown substance almost instantly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Gyrene, you would be pleased to know that the "honeysucker" truck still runs in Camp Pendleton. Everytime we see that guy we think,"sucks to be him." Funny thing is that he probably makes 2-3 times more than any serviceman. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were all pretty sure the guy was making more money than we were, hell anyone made more money than we did.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the "honeysucker" guy complains to the nearest officer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The civilian employees that I think pissed me off the most with their ratting on any little thing we did were the Filipino taylors at MCRD San Diego...The Master Gunny running the supply section there at the time was also Filipino, so I guess that made them feel that they could complain to him about ANYTHING. I remember one of them poked me with a pin when I was getting fitted for the Alphas and I said something along the lines of "Watch it" or something really innoccous like that. (I really did not cuss him out) and I got an instant "I'll get the Master Gunny here you troublemaker", which he did and I got an earfull and a half.

Lovely.

Gyrene

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>hell anyone made more money than we did.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever serve with any Brit troops? We were like Fortune 500 CEOs compared to those poor bahstids. Wonder they didn't all defect to the Argies.

Gyrene said: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Michael, when I was a Pvt. or PFC I could have sworn that Staff NCO's (E-6 and up in the Gun Club) were issued coffee cups with their first rocker stripe! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not make fun of sacred traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation. Did you know that Dan Daly would never have been able to say "You! Do you want to live forever!" had he not just wet his parched whistle with a cup of hot joe?

John Quick, Lou Diamond, in fact all of the legendary enlisted leaders of our proud Corps were able to perform the heroic deeds that made them immortal because they had a cup of coffee first.

As I write these lines, a tear comes to my old eyes, as I reflect back on the creed I learned as a young Staff Sergeant, so long ago...

"This is my coffee cup. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

As I write these lines, a tear comes to my old eyes, as I reflect back on the creed I learned as a young Staff Sergeant, so long ago...

"This is my coffee cup. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sense a "bizarre memories" thread cropping up soon...

Well my own bullet dodging was limited but to get the true impact of CM

Don't shower, shave or eat for two days then turn off the lights. Start up CM

Do a QB but you are restricted to using the "1" camera angle. To similuate the fear factor have your favorite love one or enemy attach a pair of self locking pliers (firmly)to your family jewels then attach them to a cord. Have them take the cord into another room and have them roll dice every 3 minutes (3 dice) if they get 3 ones have them pull very very hard - with out warning

That might give you an indication : ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Ever serve with any Brit troops? We were like Fortune 500 CEOs compared to those poor bahstids. Wonder they didn't all defect to the Argies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lived on base in the UK for a month in 1990 while on loan to the British Army - don't forget the crap food they got/get. If it's not fried, it's curried. Morning milk came from a trough (no kidding). Malt vinegar, brown and red sauce... Our only salvation was Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken. And even then, it was 10 pence for every packet of ketchup. The horror!

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I'm am a member of 2' para in england and i can tell u this, the game is pretty realistic in terms of strategy. my main qualm is the fire support. If a 81mm mortar shell lands within a 15 meter radius of a man standing up he is almost CERTAINLY dead. if ure lying face down anything inside 7 meters will STILL kill you, never mind HEAVY artillery. the ONLY effetive defense is a foxhole or better still a building. the buildings walls will protect u from the shrapnel of shells outside, and if the building is being shelled the enemy has to work through the roof and all the floors below.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> On the other hand, in the fleet the Filipino corpsmen don't seem to take multiple stabs with the needles to get it right with me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giving blood samples was the most dreaded thing I regularly had to do in the military (Seemed like every 2 weeks), I'm not a bleeder and my vein would often plug up before giving up only a quarter of the sample tube. It often took 3-4 tries to get it right...Once it took 5, on the 4th the corpsman left me in the hallway with the thing stuck in my arm when it stopped filling up again...almost tested the hardness of the deck with my nose that time.

Second favorite military medical experience Dental cleanings by surly waves who would rather be doing something else.

And remember...Motrin will cure whatever ails you!

Semper Fi.

Gyrene

Edited due to odd :D thingie showing up.

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

Said with feeling by Gyrene:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Giving blood samples was the most dreaded thing I regularly had to do in the military <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I remember one nasty Corpswave digging in my arm like an epileptic with a knitting needle. When I had the temerity to question her technique, she asked me if I knew what "Marine" stood for. When I said no, she stuck me again and said, "Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential".

THIS IS MY COFFEE CUP

There are many like it but this one is mine. My coffee cup is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life.

My coffee cup, without me is useless. Without my coffee cup, I am useless. I must drink my coffee straight. I must drink it more than any Marine who is trying to out-drink me. I must fill my cup before he fills his. I will....

My coffee cup and myself know that what counts in this Corps is not the brand we drink, the quality of our creamer, nor the quantity that we make. We know that it is the cup that counts. We will have the fanciest one...

My coffee cup is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weakness, its strength, its correct mixture, its accessories, its handle and its bottom. I will keep my coffee cup clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed. My coffee cup and myself are the defenders of my mornings. We are the masters of our hang overs. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no more coffee left, but work.

Amen

Gyrene

Gyrene, you have touched an old Master Sergeant's black heart. I have never seen the Coffee Cup Creed rendered so movingly.

The Marine's Hymn plays softly in the background. In my mind's eye, platoons of lifers long gone proudly form up at the heavenly perculator for that last cup of joe before the everlasting retirement.

I can't go on, I am weeping...(SOB!)

View?u=1643390&a=12575482&p=47522535

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: BloodyBucket ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Giving blood samples was the most dreaded thing I regularly had to do...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh god, you're causing me to have flashbacks. I normally don't have a big problem with giving blood. I've mostly been lucky that the people who were drawing did a good, quick, painless job of it.

But recently I had to do a several day stint in the hospital, and there was this one guy named Bob... Bob came into my room at six in the morning and proceeded to give his rendition of the World's Most Incompetent Blood Drawer. Again and again he would jab the needle painfully into my arm and miss the vein, all the while muttering, "I'm really quite good at this..."

I'm sorry, I can't go on.

Michael