What the heck is this thing?

I didnt wanna post a whole topic just on this, but even after looking around I couldnt figure it out. I went to '>http://www.jagdtiger.de/

and I found this picture:

Moskau01.jpg

What the heck is this thing! Comparing him to the other pictures where he stands beside a Tiger2, this thing is even bigger then the TigerII!

Also, if you go there, I suggest you go to the German Tanks section and click on the Morsel Karl, (Mortar), the rounds are 600mm!!

Maus (mouse --- German humor!). Hitler demanded the biggest tank in the world from Porsche, and this is what he got:

Wt: 207 tons

Max Armor: 240mm

Main Gun(s): 1x 128mm & 1x 75mm (in same turret)

Unfortunately(?), the Germans didn't have an engine powerful enough to move this mountain of steel faster than 8mph. It was so heavy that no existing bridge could hold it up, so they outfitted it with a snorkel arrangement so it could ford rivers (would have liked to have seen it try!).

Only 2 prototypes were built, and there's an unconfirmed rumor that one of 'em went down fighting against the Soviets.

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

That would be the Maus, a German super heavy battle tank. it's got two guns on the turret, one's a 75mm, I don't know about the other one though. It was so heavy that only two were ever built. The first's turret couldn't move because it wieghed so much. The second was finished some time in 1945, and never saw combat.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

That would be the Maus, a German super heavy battle tank. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, you all were talking about the tank? Yep. That's a Maus. Specifically, it's the Maus at the Moscow museum and that's CM's own Warphead standing next to it. I thought you wanted to know who the guy was when you asked "what is that thing?" My mistake. ;)

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

Who the &%&^* is Warphead?

Kitty, you think you're funny but really you're not....hamster.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

Oh, you all were talking about the tank? Yep. That's a Maus. Specifically, it's the Maus at the Moscow museum and that's CM's own Warphead standing next to it. I thought you wanted to know who the guy was when you asked "what is that thing?" My mistake. wink.gif

Kitty

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talking about "Chicks with Tanks", "Tank Girl" cool.gif is my all time favorite war movie!

gp

Guest Warphead-

Somebody mentioned my name? biggrin.gif

Charming as ever Kitty! wink.gif

And that thingy is really the only Maus in existence. The main gun is a 128mm KwK. 44 L/38 (using 150mm Patronenmunition) the secondary is a 75mm KwK. 44 L/36,5.

And it is quite impressive to stand next to it.

I took some more pictures at Lindan's and my site.

And just in case somebody really examined the shirt closer: There are NO swastikas on it! mad.gif And I think it would be bad taste and a bad idea to enter a Red Army museum with a such a shirt...

------------------

http://www.nahverteidigungswaffe.de

"Haben die Krupp-Werke Betriebsausflug? Da rollt ja halb Deutschland auf mich zu..." (Vincent)]

[This message has been edited by Warphead- (edited 01-05-2001).]

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldier,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're entitled to your opinion. <shrug>

Warphead is one of the best CM players ever and he has a really cool website. AND he's my friend too. So there.

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

That was wierd. I only posted once but that same message should up twice....and not at the same time. Wierd.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

I assume that Maus tank can move, I don't know how they would have towed it into the museum. (?) How DO they move around tanks that are inoperable? What a chore that must be.

I see one problem with the Maus: It makes a great target for ground attack planes.

wink.gif