Tiger on the prowl..modelling in 3D

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, thanks Mace, Im always looking for something even higher to look up to wink.gif

That is an excellent model, the artist did a great job. For interest sake to put it in perspective to CM, I would guess that model would have textures easily 8 times the size of the current CM texture and probably have thousands of polygons, in contrast to our Tigers 300. That single scene probably took a couple of minutes to render, too, hehe.

CM will be able to look that good one day, but Im guessing we are probably still about 5 years away...damn it smile.gif For the mean time, here is a muddy old Tiger Ive been playing around with, hehe...she is not finished yet though, I want to play with the colouring more.

TigerA.jpg

TigerB.jpg

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 01-14-2001).]

I think that is an optical illusion caused by the fact that the cables are blurry towards the front and sharp at the back. This causes your brain to think that the sharper part in the back is actually closer than the blurry front part. The result is that the side panel looks to be an extension of the front rather than at a right angle to it.

Hey Kwazydog, that inverted horse-shoe, is that coincidence or did you put it in only after seeing that pic? smile.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Guest KwazyDog

Good call Pvt Ryan smile.gif Id also say it is to do with the shadowing of the vehcile, something I havent played with on that model yet. You will notice that the from and side of the hull are roughly the same shade of colour, where as if you look at the pictures Mace supplied you will notice this side is in distinctive shadow, and thus you can easily see the corner of the two hull plates. If I darken the side hull, it will give you the impression of shadowing and make the model look like it has more depth..

Juju, hehe, its a coincidence actually. That horse shoe was on the model I origionally based the Tiger on.

Tom, check out this model, I think its one of the best Ive seen smile.gif

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/german/jbpanth.htm

Most of you should recognise it, hehe. We tracked down James Blackwell and asked permission to use it in CM smile.gif

Old DOg, not sure yet to be honest, Im still just playing around and testing techniques for CM2 wink.gif

Dan

What's the purpose of what appears to be chain link fence on the gun barrels? Is it for attaching camoflage? I've never noticed it in photos before.

Everytime I see awesome models such as these it gets me wanting to try it again, but I know mine will never look as good as those, so I decide not to. I built some nice models when I was a kid, but these put mine to shame.

Guest KwazyDog

Im guessing that is indeed what it would be for Ryan. Ive seen similar in a photo before, and that is what they were using it forum smile.gif

There are some excellent books out there on modelling Ryan, which would be worth checking out if you were thinking of getting back into the hobby. Its not the cheapest of hobbies to be into though smile.gif

As a slightly OT question Dan.

How is it that your bocage/hedge go as high as the turret?

In my games it goes just as high as the one near the right track of the Tiger.

Thanks.

------------------

You are not Obsessive-CMpulsive, you are Allied-Retentive.

Mark IV

Believe me, Dan, I know. I have many modelling books and armor books from when I was a kid. I have an airbrush and a compressor and about 25 kits that I never even opened. Last year my mom sold her house and I had to go through all my kits and built models. I looked on e-bay and saw that many of the kits I had are now collectibles. I went on a buying spree and bought a couple dozen vintage kits as an investment, all aircraft. Then CM came out and I got the armor bug again. My social life is in such a sad state that if I got into modelling again I would never leave my house except for work. Damn CM! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

There are some excellent books out there on modelling Ryan, which would be worth checking out if you were thinking of getting back into the hobby. Its not the cheapest of hobbies to be into though smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me about it. This damn game! I've caught the armor bug again and the kits are the least part of the expense. I'm also remembering the fun parts of modelling (assembly) and the tedious parts (cleaning airbrushes). But I'll soon have my very own 37mm AT gun w/crew, albeit a small one. Next on the list is a Panther, I think.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

While checking out the model (the static, plastic types, guys) sites, I found something that I thought may inspire KwazyDog to greater artistic heights. wink.gif

Tiger 1E

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A beautiful model! However, I have some questions about the markings ... looks like it's intended to be Wittmann's "205", yet the company markings don't look right. The two crossed skeleton keys unit insignia show it to be of the sSSPzAbt 101 and the red with white outline "2" shows it to be of the 2nd company. However, the 2nd company should have the unit insignia on the right hull front (where the horseshoe is), as can be seen in the well-known picture of Wittmann's "205" leading his company along a French road in June, '44. The placement on the model of the unit insignia, along with the Zimmerit cutout, is that of a 3rd company Tiger, correct? Also, not sure but that "205" may have had the monocular gun sight, can someone confirm?