What is it?

And I'll add a fourth to that ID. "World War Two Tanks" by George Forty (not the best reference, I know :rolleyes: ) indicates that ten were built in 1936 and 1937. Evidently a lot of the tinkering in the early marks was with the suspension - the IIIA had 5 sets wheels on coil springs, and the IIIB had 8 sets of wheels (mounted in four pairs per side) on leaf springs. Minor changes (doesn't say what) were made to the suspension in the IIIC and IIID, but they finally got it right on the IIIE, which had the familiar six wheels mounted on torsion bars.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

You are all full of it. According to Simon and Shysters "Guild to Cool Looking German Stuff" it is a Wurstschleiferzitronepie-Chart Toilettereinigungsmittelrattedung-Hamstermobile. I wish you guys would do a little research before you answered incorrectly.<hr></blockquote>

Slapdragon,

Dear God, man, are you daft!? Look closely at the picture! Third bolt from the left! Now, you tell me; is it right-hand thread or left? Ahhhh, yes, now you see the error of your ways. A "Wurstschleiferzitronepie-Chart Toilettereinigungsmittelrattedung-Hamstermobile" indeed! Obviously it is a a Wurstschleiferzitronepie-Chart Toilettereinigungsmittelrattedung-Hamstermobile mkII with that thread config. I would suggest that it is YOU who needs to do a bit more research before you castigate the others....

(shakes head, walking away....)

smile.gif

Regards,

MSP

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>"Wurstschleiferzitronepie-Chart Toilettereinigungsmittelrattedung-Hamstermobile" indeed! Obviously it is a a Wurstschleiferzitronepie-Chart Toilettereinigungsmittelrattedung-Hamstermobile mkII with that thread config. <hr></blockquote>

Agh, I think I heard something pop in the speech part of my brain when I tried to pronounce that.

Besterds!

Gyrene

Checking on the PzIII and it's variants It does look like Ausf A. 5 road wheels dampened by coil springs. Armed with a 37mm KwK L/46.5 it was designated a medium tank, although it only had 15mm thick armour. The suspension was also found to be unsatisfactory and they were all withdrawn from combat units in feburary 1940.