Answere this question for me....

I love reaserching WW II and German tanks, I know alot etc. except in all of the books I have they dont tell me much on Zemmerit coating, I know it was anti-magnetic I think,DONT make fun I know a whole bunch of other stuff I just cant find a good source on Zemmerit,,,WHAT WAS IT FOR AND WHAT WAS IT MADE OUT OF??? :confused:

Hi,

Yes, zimmerit was an anti-magnetic plaster/cement. I am not sure “exactly” what it was made of but it was used between August 43 and mid-September 44.

It was every suddenly stopped because the Germans suddenly got it into their heads that it was a fire hazard. I know, it sounds strange. But an order went out to all plants to stop using it immediately on about the 14th September 44.

It was of no practical use anyway. Hence no one else used the stuff during or after the war.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. Information comes from one of the Jentz books, I “think” the one on the Panther.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

I've never seen a complete recipe, but the primary ingredient was sawdust.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to an British report compiled after the war, Zimmerrit was made from:

40%- barium sulphate

25%- polyvinyl acetate

15%- ochre pigment

10%- saw dust

10%- zinc sulphide

Regards, John Waters

Guest Babra

25% polyvinyl acetate (matrix)

10% saw dust (filler)

40% barium sulphate

10% zinc sulphide

15% ochre pigment (coloring)

It was supposed to defeat magnetic mines by increasing the distance between the metal and the magnet, thus reducing the

magnet´s adhesive effect. It also supposedly makes it more difficult to get Gammon boms to stick to the surface since the

pattern made in the Zimmerit makes the available surface are smaller (it can only stick on the ridges of the Zimmerit).

Cajun Zimmerit Surprise (Serves 6)

40%- barium sulphate

25%- polyvinyl acetate

15%- ochre pigment

10%- saw dust

10%- zinc sulphide

2 table spoons of Paprika

1/4 cup of Tabasco Sauce

2lbs tiger jumbo shrimp

1 or 2 tb spoons of cayene pepper

Mix all in a bowl, bring to a boil for 10 minutes

Spread over tank and allow it to cool.

Enjoy it while fighting off the seagulls

Gyrene

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Mix all in a bowl, bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Spread over tank and allow it to cool.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a similar recipe by the Two Fat Ladies, but they added 12 quarts of Normandy butter and a hogshead of crème fraîche.