Book Buying Suggestions

I found G Company's War to not be all that interesting. They barely did any fighting! I like personal accounts much more than operational ones, but this one didn't draw me in. Much of the "diary" of the two men was not written "the day of," but long afterward based on scribbled, incomplete diary entries.

Best part of the book to me: The casualty reporting on Egger's Squad & Platoon. Whenever a man was injured, the editor (who contributes the operational background to the events of the day) reports on the fate of the injured man. I couldn't believe how much time some guys spent in the hospital... and then still returned to the unit. Or how quickly some of the replacements became casualties.

Thanks, Matt

Dictionary of Military and Naval Quotations

Robert Debs Heinl, jr

ISBN 0-87021-149-8

It isn't really related to CM, but it is a great reference. Probably out of print.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 03-24-2001).]

I recently went on a similar spree at Amazon, and I bought "Stalingrad" by Beevor (its great) "Enemy at the Gates" novel which inspired the movie of same name, the book by Guy Sajer(can't remember the name) but it is a highly acclaimed memoir by a german foot-soldier in WW2, and "Tides of War" by Pressfield, who wrote the AMAZING book "Gates of Fire" about the battle of Thermopylae.

My two pfennigs.

"Seven roads to Hell" a screaming eagles account of the battle for Bastone. A quick read but one of the best first person accounts of battle I have read.Happens to have been written by a guy just up the road from me in Michigan. There are at least 10 different battles that could be recreated in CM in it. I am playing one right now. Don't know how those men held out.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

The Forgotten Soldier, is the name of the book by Guy Sajer...

And if you want to read a novel form of Enemy at the Gates, get a book called "War of the Rats". The names are the same as in the movie, both accounts are fictionalised, but the tensions, and character developments in War of the Rats are much better.

Another Cool book I got is called "The Mammoth Book of War Stories". Its like 800 pages, and its filled with 1st hand accounts and diaries from wars throughout history.

Almost half the stories are ww2 related, and one of the highlights is the Memoirs of Otto Skorenzy, and his commando raid to Free Mussolini

Guest Martin Cracauer

I found "Frontsoldaten" to be very disappointing. You can get most of its contents in the memoirs of the individuals.

I have "Frontsoldaten" and some of the individual memoirs and have to say that the contents of Frontsoldaten lost most of what the guys had to say. It is "outwashed" (someone knows a better english term?) like any repetition in other words by an author who did not experience the subject of the writing. Most of these first-hand accounts get their quality from the continuous narration of the whole experience, not the pointed selection of exiting moments.

Granted, if you read Frontsoldaten, it is an exiting read, but the first-hand accounts are 10 times better. Some fictional works are very good in transporting an impression as well.

[This message has been edited by Martin Cracauer (edited 03-26-2001).]

I would tend to agree about Frontsoldaten; it is too dry and one tends to lose the feeling in the minutiae and the sheer volume of material (and the fact that as I recall the author leans disproportionally on a few sources). On the other hand, Frontsoldaten is one of the very few english language secondary sources that attempts to look at the German war on the individual and small group scale, as opposed to the volumes available on the larger picture(s)...

------------------

Cede Nullis - Yield to None

As someone already mentioned, "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor.

I warmly recommend this book! It gives both a wider perspective on the eastern-front war, and Stalingrad in particular.

It is based mostly on letter, many unpublished before as I understood it, from Germans and Russians.

It is sometimes horrible reading, but worth every penny. Get it!

I'll second the 'Seven roads to Hell' suggestion. Also recommend "Flags of our Fathers" about the battle of Iwo Jima (brought tears to my eyes) and anything by Cornelius Ryan. I'm currently reading "A Time for Trumpets" about the Battle of the Bulge; well written, extensive, and informative.

I thoroughly recommend

"An intimate history of killing" It's essential for anyone interested in the field of war studies or stuff. I think it's quite illuminating and a useful guide to all your other books on the issues.. um, yeah, buy.

Bevor's "Stalingrad" of course.

"In Deadly Combat" - German pak gunner at Sevastopol and Lenningrad.

"The Guns of War" - Canadian FOO, very engagingly written with lots of detail

PeterNZ

------------------

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem, Croda and JeffShandorf -

Der Kessel scenario design group

Combat Vision movies

I am tending to agree with the above negative impressions of "Frontsoldaten," by Stephen Fritz. I was really excited about this book, but it hasn't lived up. The author heavily quotes Guy Sajer, and as some have said, there seems to be a dilution effect. I have found much of the material to be highly "repeditive" in nature. It is taking me forever to finish this book, and I have contemplated abandoning it- but I am hoping "the Seasons of War" chapter has some good anecdotes on the winter weather fighting. The chapter on the German training methods was very interesting. I am still waiting for a chapter on actual combat experiences- I hope I'm not disappointed...

My estimation of the material and the author dropped when I read a quotation about an infantry company in Stalingrad gathering around as one of their own played Beethoven on an abandoned grand piano amid some nearby shelling. This immediately pricked my attention, and I checked the source. It was "Last Letters from Staligrad," which has been authoritatively reported (if not confirmed- I am uncertain) to be a fabrication by german war correspondents- admittedly great for atmosphere and realistic fiction, but nonetheless a fabrication portrayed as reality. However, Fritz made no mention of this when he offered the quote! On the contrary he portrayed it as authentic. So I am left wondering- how much of this is real and how much fantasy, did the author leave this out intentionally, or is he just a poor researcher?

I am about to dive into Beevor's "Staligrad," which comes highly recommended, and I can also recommend Clark's "Barbarossa: The German-Russian Conflict, 1941-45" as an excellent read, and great history of the Eastern Front with tons of very readable detail. I believe that 95% of this book (published in 1965) has stood the test of time.

Anyone have definite knowledge on the authenticty (or not) of "Last Letters from Stalingrad" ?

Homba

Guest Mikey D

I've always leaned more towards the 'tech' end of the genre.

If you're into halftracks you should grab the brand-new book from R.P. Hunnicutt. A massive reference work called "Half-Track, a history of the American Semi-tracked vehicles". 250 pages, 28 detailed 5-view scale plans! I got mine.

While not WWII books I very strongly recommend "Breakout" by Martin Russ and "East of Chosin" by Roy Appleman both about the Chosin Reservoir campaign in Korea, both gripping accounts of some of the most intense squad level combat this century.

I hope that someday (When BTS is done with all WWII CM modules, of course biggrin.gif) there'll be Korean war CM modules.

"I am about to dive into Beevor's "Staligrad," which comes highly recommended"

aye, a good book so far but the negative reviews @amazon.com about it are pretty much correct. Beevor 's writing style jumps around alot and he already lost me a couple of times already where I had to re-read the previous sentences a few times to make sure what the thought was. There's also a good bit of artistic license sprinkled throughout for flavor I guess. Example:

"'The order is just that,' agreed Tresckow. Stahlberg then asked where it had come from. 'From the man to whom you gave your oath,' answered his cousin. 'As did I,' he added with a penetrating look."

Beevor uses a good bit of *cough* "additive" like above to make parts of his writing seem more like a fictional novel. "penetrating look"? Come on.

jmtcw,

-John

I recommend Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific by Gilbert. I know it's PTO but it was very interesting reading with personal and operational accounts. The amazing thing is how fast the repair units could fix a knocked out Sherman.

Eric