Soviet Weapons

Guest Solid Snake

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Soviets had 50mm mortars too? Damn. I thought maybe I'd finally be rid of those pieces of junk when CM2 came out. *Sigh*

wink.gif

Oh yes, and not only the Soviets. The Soviet 50mm mortar was actually much better than the other 50mm mortar we'll be seeing in CM2: the infamous German 5cm Leichter Granatwerfer M 36. I'm really looking forward to lugging one of these babies around the map - not enough range, and even less firepower.

------------------

z

veteran of the psychic wars

Very good question Michael.

The answer I think is spelled something like SU or ISU...

The lacking indirect capability was replaced by direct fire.

Hopefully BTS will sit down for a bit with this one. The artillery, as it is represented in CM now, is way, way too flexible.

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 03-28-2001).]

Guest Rommel22

The Russians suffered horrific casualties (as is known) in 41. But they ( Russians) lost HUGE ammounts of artillery pieces, HUGE number. So during 41 the russians almost had no artillery to counter the germans arty. They did have some but small numbers. Even as late as 43 they haven't fully re-covered. They still were well below the number of artillery pieces compared to 41 (before the invasion).

Ofcourse some fronts like Stalingrad, Mosocow and Lennigrad had priority in recieving arty pieces. But they were in few numbers still.

I don't know the exact numbers lost or gained back. Does anyone have some numbers concerning this!

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

Commissar wrote:

You better get used to massive artillery barrages. When it came to artillery, the Russians were hard to beat. Watch those German lines evaporate!!

The RKKA certainly could mass more guns per km of front than any other army and do horrible damage when the barrages hit. However, their capability to concentrate fire on quickly-appearing targets was not as good.

At Ihantala on early July 1944 Soviets had at least two times more indirect firing guns (it may have been as high as 5 times more, but I don't remember for certain) than Finns had. However, Finns could achieve 20 times higher shell concentrations on their targets. (Where shell concentration is defined as the number of rounds landing in a minute in a 100 x 100 m target area).

- Tommi

Originally posted by Rommel22:

The Russians suffered horrific casualties (as is known) in 41. But they ( Russians) lost HUGE ammounts of artillery pieces, HUGE number. So during 41 the russians almost had no artillery to counter the germans arty. They did have some but small numbers. Even as late as 43 they haven't fully re-covered. They still were well below the number of artillery pieces compared to 41 (before the invasion).

Ofcourse some fronts like Stalingrad, Mosocow and Lennigrad had priority in recieving arty pieces. But they were in few numbers still.

I don't know the exact numbers lost or gained back. Does anyone have some numbers concerning this!

Neither 1941 or 1942 were good years for the Soviets. However, from 1943, on, things got vastly better. As far as artillery production goes, the Soviets produced more pieces than the USA in WWII. I have the figures at home, if you want confirmation.

------------------

Best regards,

Greg Leon Guerrero

Guest Rommel22

Grisha,

Can you post the figures or sent them via e-mail to me. (rommel21@earthlink.net)

I read this from Russian books and German ones too. The russians had almost no artilery from 41 to 42. They did start replanish them but slowly.

Even by 43 they didn't have the original number of arty pieces compared to 41.

They sure made in AFVs though.

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Imagine the ISU-152 assault gun in CM2. Low siluette, tough armour and a huge gun! 152mm!!! Pretty effective against soft targets and bunkers for sure.

Heinz