DC Meeting a Great Success!

Lawyer

This Friday evening, September 28, we convened the first meeting of CM players in the Washington area at a local bar named Grevey's. It was a great success by any standard, unless you count picking up girls... Hehe...

Through the wonders of the internet and the CM forum, we had 11 guys there. Several came from in-town (a long commute), and one guy came all around the Beltway to be there. We had young guys, middle guys, and really young guys like me. Very impressive.

I'm happy to report that CM people have so much in common that we got along really well instantly. There was instant conversation that continued for 4 hours till we had to go home. Being in the company of other people who share our hobby was a big thrill for some of us, since we didn't need to explain our hobby or why we play CM.

During our time together, we found a couple of guys who have not played PBEM, and arranged games for them. We found guys who have very detailed knowledge of game maps and units. We made a list of names, and talked about going to see the tanks in Aberdeen, MD together.

All in all, it was a LOT of fun, and it was terrific to meet folks with common interests. We all know CM is a great game, but it turns out that it is also a great way to find great people. I have not yet met a CM player in person who is not also a good guy to know.

Others may post their opinions here. But I am happy to say we have a good start putting the CM community in Washington in action to enjoy our mutual interest.

To all who attended, many thanks. To those who couldn't attend, please join us next time. This is a no sweat, easy fun thing to do. Trust the Lawyer on this one.

Cheers,

Jake

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

How many beers did Lawyerboy buy? Just curious how many told him what a great player he is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Elvis, as usual gets straight to the heart of the matter. Behind the rah-rah and goodfellow comments lies a deeper purpose to the Washington meeting. To build The Lawyer's ego.

To your first question, I reply: "nobody counted". Then again, nobody seemed to go thirsty. I happened to have a poor widow's trust fund in my pocket that I "invested" in the good fellowship of Washington area CM players. I know she would want it that way, and if she has to cut a few corners on food and shelter, well so be it. The stock market stinks anyway.

Now the list of those clever enough to say "Jake, you are the best CM player I've ever met" in order to get a free beer is a bit more difficult to explain. Some of these men are still stuck with that useless appendage to their persona called "pride". They found it difficult to abandon such a silly notion in order to get free beer. However, Gen. Jake led them to the appropriate comments so that we successfully reached my goal of ego gratification.

Top honors must go to Eric Scurlock (Diceman}, Jess Robinson, Wyatt Barnett (WW_99), and Josh Singer. Even through the developing fog of my many beers, I have vivid and happy memories of each of these gentlemen coming straight up to me and speaking the magic words with gusto. Like Pavlov's dogs, each received his treat with much appreciation.

Medium recognition for basic street smarts is given to Marlow, James Bailey, Emmett Webster, and Mike Donovan. They approached the simple exchange of congratulating me for a free beer with subdued reluctance. One can only wonder if they would have the wherewithal to utter the necessary words on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" in order to enrich themselves.

Marlow may have been reluctant to hail my greatness because he beat the snot out of me in a recent QB, but the others?? Makes you wonder whether they are capable of understanding the important things in life. In the end, however, each of them did the right thing and received his promised reward.

That brings us to the problem cases of ElGuapo and his buddy Cathedral. These young whippersnappers are each about 8 ft. tall and ready to play a QB at the drop of a hat. They constantly bemoaned not having brought a laptop to the beerfest so they could beat the rest of us at CM on the spot to establish some type of weird dominance. I believe young Guappie has an Alpha Dog fixation.

Both ElGuapo and Cathedral refused to mutter the magic words that turn on the tap, even after repeated reminders of the wisdom of hailing Gen. Jake for the betterment of their thirst. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!! Finally, we all did a huge crowd roar of the magic words to fill the void, and I demonstrated my humanitarian nature by buying them beers.

All in all, though, I am left in dismay about the future of America if its youth are too dumb or proud to stoop for a free beer. That's why Australia will surpass us in the 21st Century. I must get Joe Shaw to teach ElGuapo and Cathedral some proper protocol in his role Justicar and Drain Cleaner for the MBT.

Well, there ya go. Counting me, that makes 11 participants in the Washington Beerfest.

A good time was had by all. I am sending the bill to BTS for "corporate relations".

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

These should be organized all over. What a great opportunity for both fellowship and chest-thumping. I'd do this in the K.C. area but I'm not sure how many of the enlightened dwell in these parts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I found there are lurkers who don't post a lot, but are interested in attending a get together. So you may have more than you think. I only knew of 4 guys in this area when I posted, but we ended up with 11 attendees and a couple more who couldn't make it, but are interested.

Even getting together with two or three is worthwhile. I've done that too. You've got nothing to lose in trying.

Also, **shudder** I happen to know that Panzer Leader lives in your area. [That's a Cesspool joke, he's a good guy I think.]

So give it a try!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Captain Foobar would like to express his extreme jealousy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, I cannot resist noting that any day Captain FooFoo is discomfited is a good day for me and the rest of mankind. Hehehe....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

These should be organized all over. What a great opportunity for both fellowship and chest-thumping. I'd do this in the K.C. area but I'm not sure how many of the enlightened dwell in these parts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in MA and had a CM player show up at my door one night. I thought of tossing him off the porch until I realized who it was, sorry Jeff. The only other wargamer I ever met was Mike Shepard back in the old Campaign Series days.

Manx,

Thanks for the posting offer. I've forwarded the DC CM meeting photos to Lawyer for proofing and I'm waiting for his er, ah, shall we say, 'vitriolic' comments. Will let you know soonest.

E-Cat

"Moving out of 'Lurker' status as quick as I can"

Gamey Bastards!

Hey gang, I had a great time Friday. It was fun to meet everyone. Cathedral(Sean) and I, after the long ride back to DC, ordered a pizza, cracked open a couple of beers, and settled down for a hotseat game (he forgot his CD). Game is still to be finished, as it was 3 when we quit and I was falling over tired. I admit I have lost a lot or armor so far, but he hasn't seen all my tricks yet. smile.gif

Anyway, thanks for the beer, Lawyer. Nice to meet everyone. Maybe we can have a LAN party sometime, or a trip up to Aberdeen.

If any of you ever get into DC, beer's on me at a local pub.

ElGuapo

P.S. No Alpha Male syndrome here. He he. I can take my defeats as well as the next guy, I just need to actually be beat first. smile.gif

Thanx Manx. As one cat to another, you did good.

We did indeed have a fun time. Even though I'm new to the CM Internet community, I have particpated in other online gaming communities. In fact, on a least one occasion, I did actually try to set-up a meeting with an online gaming personality (yes, she was over eighteen!). But, this was the first time I've actually met folks who only knew each other from the 'cyber' world. Of course it cost me some of my dignity saying those words so cruelly fashioned by Jake (hehe). I think the dimensional aspect of meeting folks who not only share a common interest, but turn out to be 'everyday folks' makes meetings like this really worth it.

E-Cat