Sturmgruppe squads and mines

I'm playing a game against a guy who's using Sturmgruppe squads. He's telling me that he's able to see all of my AT mines. Is this a bug leftover from the beta, or do these squads have an innate ability to use the force and sense all of my mine placements. Any ideas?

------------------

The New CessPool

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Croda, you rock! - Meeks

Originally posted by Croda:

I'm playing a game against a guy who's using Sturmgruppe squads. He's telling me that he's able to see all of my AT mines. Is this a bug leftover from the beta, or do these squads have an innate ability to use the force and sense all of my mine placements. Any ideas?

I hate to be insulting to someone who's played a lot (well, actually Croda, I don't mind it at all in your case), but are they regular buried AT mines or are they daisy chain? If they're daisy chain they're supposed to be visible-- they're a bunch of mines strung together on the road.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Be as insulting as you like, I ain't no genyus or nuttin.

I believe they're regular AT Mines, but to be honest, I've forgotten. He could also see the AP mines, if I'm not mistaken. Randy, you around to comment?

I'll have to check to be sure.

------------------

The New CessPool

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Croda, you rock! - Meeks

Originally posted by jshandorf:

In my experience I have almost NEVER spotted mines until I run something through the field and they go "boom".

Jeff

Actually, you can spot AP mines if you happen to stop next to them. Not sure if it has to be an engineer unit or any regular infantry unit, but I've seen it happen. And I think it's not 100% either, like there is some probability that the mines will be spotted with that probability increasing with time spent next to the tile. It's also my understanding that AT mines are unseen until run over (unless they're daisy chained of course). However, I just played against an opponent who stopped just shy of an AT mine tile, stayed there for a turn, then reversed back and around the copse of trees he was trying to drive between. Now either he was extremely lucky or he knew the AT mines were there and didn't go further. He doesn't remember since there were AP mines all around that location as well.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 02-07-2001).]

From my experiences it seems infantry, at least half way decent infantry, can spot AT mines fairly regularly. In an operation I was playing (Task Force Rose, maybe?) as the Germans, my mounted Panzergrenadiers spotted every AT mine on the roads leading to the first "objective" area--and this was while mounted.

Vehicles without passengers generally only get a flaming datum report of mines--i.e., boom.

Guest Michael emrys

My troops seem to regularly spot mines from 50-100 meters out. The only exception was a jeep in too big a hurry that found it the hard way. Once in a while, after a game is over and I am examining the map where everything is revealed, I find a minefield that I hadn't spotted because I had no troops near enough.

Michael

You guys with infantry spotting AT mines (the dug in kind, not the daisy chain kind), what version have you seen this with? I was playing R******** the R****** with 1.05 and I had knocked out tank crews and an HQ unit walk down a particular road with the sole purpose (in my mind anyway) of looking for AT mines. They found AP mines by walking through them and detonating them, but they missed all the AT mines. I found both AT tiles with my tanks frown.gif. Maybe 1.1 spruced up AT spotting?

Actually, I've seen regular stormtroopers spot mines after a few turns at distances much greater than 100m. After remaining still and hidden for 3 turns, a split Sturmgruppe squad picked out a field of AP mines that the LOS tool gauged at 430m distant. It was midday with good weather and no cloud cover in v1.1. Although I was happy about it at the time, it does now seem a little excessive.

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 02-07-2001).]