WineCape's Wine Tourney II

This is the official thread for WineCape's SECOND wine tourney. All stats and updates for this tournament will be posted here. This and any tourney specific thread I start may drop several pages back at times so just do a search for "Wine Tourney" and you'll find it.

For clarification of tourney rules click here:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=019311

Treeburst155 out.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wines that are going to the winner of Tourney II below.

I'll give some background on the wines later here @ this thread ...

The Morgenhof Premiere Selection 1997:

15284.jpg

Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon 1998:

Label_CabernetSauvignon98.jpg

Hazendal Shiraz-Cab 1998:

000802.gif

Longridge Merlot 1998:

001004.gif

Fredericksburg Classique 1998:

classique_lab.jpg

And a white wine, the Baroness Nadine Chardonnay 1998:

nadine_lab.jpg

Treeburst155 will keep us updated on Tourney II here.

Sincerely

Charl Theron

Soddball,

Tourney II is closed, but it does have 11 people in it so each person will have to play 10 games. Our benefactor, WineCape, had requested that a friend of his be allowed in so it was done. The 90 day deadline is not set in stone, especially since there is now an extra game for everyone to play. We'll just see how things progress.

Treeburst155 out.

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I'll steam ahead regardless.

Chaps!

I have a minor, but still annoying, problem with my e-mail thingy. I have recieved many challenges from the hoard of baboons in the Tourney II but I am unable to respond. So, here, I respond to your gurgling squeeks in one go:

"What? You beat me? That makes me laugh more that 1001 tickly fingers wringling about my belly. Give up now. If you have a face (which is VERY unlikely) you better save it now."

In other words, I will respond to all your e-mails as soon as I can kick Outlook back into gear.

StR

Right you ugly lot,

I have games started with:

Fangorn

Tincan

StugIII

TankBuster

MrSpk

MikeD - (just about started now, our mail dosen't seem to like eachother.)

i am waiting for responses from:

Gashford

Sledge

Marcus

StevetheRat *

i'll mail you slackers individually to try and kickstart a response from you... really, we should be dying-a-lot (or at least sneaking-waiting-for-contact-a-lot) by now.

*StR - alright, i read your post above... but quit making excuses! you can try and blame outlook, (it is made by microsoft after all) but we know you are scared... now stop blubbing and GET TO IT!

AAR's and updates will follow...

I look forward to the inevitable demise of my opponents.

ben.

Hello folks

I'm making this official here, although most of you will have already recieved an e-mail from me explaining.

My girlfriend and I are buying our first house. It's a three bed townhouse with an extended kitchen, just what we've been hoping for - and we weren't even looking very hard! Obviously we pounced on it like tigers (the furry ones!) are going through the legal procedures, etc.

This is going to take up a lot of time so, regretfully, I have to pull out.

I hope you all have a lot of fun and may the best man win. Good luck to you all and thanks for your encouraging replies.

Mike, old chum, sorry about any extra work I have made for you but this is an opportunity I can't miss out on. I hope you understand.

Good luck all!

StR

Hey! Wait a second! Did the Cesspool nominate StevetheWOODENBAT to represent the pool!? Bah! What folly! He sucks!

With the nomination from Marlow himself I hereby put myself forward as the offical "second" to SteveMyAssIsScary.

I have been waiting for a chance at Fionn's throat!

Grrr... Yap Yap!

Jeff

Hey shandorf ya GIT that is some other tourney. Fionn isn't playing in our little kaffee klatsch right now.

You want the Invitational Tournament.

Alright then, back to the pool with ye . . . move along, that's a good lad . . .

[edited to provide link for shandman as he is too ignernt to look it up for himself]

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Rules interpretation requested:

Under CAL rules, German Volksgrenadier and SMG squads are not allowed (presumably because their incredibly high rate of fire gave them an unfair advantage over an opponent). Does the term "SMG" squad extend to other German squads whose arms are at least 40% automatic weapons?

A VG SMG squad has 288 firepower in close.

A VG Hvy SMG has 256 fp in close.

A Fusilier squad has 249 fp in close.

A Fusilier SMG squad has 324 fp in close.

A Sturmgruppe squad has 283 fp in close.

A Motorized Infantry squad has 236 fp in close.

A PzGren. squad has 245 fp in close.

All of these are signicantly higher than an allied rifle squad (1944 version), which has a mere 161 pts (if Canadian or British) or 209 pts (if AMerican or French).

It seems to me that if fairness is the reason for prohibiting smg squads, then these squads should also be barred.

I need a clarification before I send out a setup tonight. I am not trying to start a flame or debate - I just need a ruling from Treeburst or Winecape.

MrSpkr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike8g:

If I read those CAL rules correctly, SMG troops are not generally forbidden, but limited to a reasonable amount (3 platoons, which is still too much. 3 squads would fit better).

Marcus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right - that's what I menat to say - are the aforementioned squads included in the "thou shalt not have more than three plaootns of" group.

BTW I do agree - three platoons is too much.

Three platoons of German SMG infantry will have at least 2500 fp.

Three platoons of British/Canadian/Polish infantry will only have 1650 fp -- the Germans enjoy a 152% advantage in firepower here.

Three platoons of American infanty has about

2022 fp - here, the Germans enjoy a 124% advantage in firepower.

In a scenario with 2000+ points, that would not matter; but in these small ones (1000-1500) it can be critical, particularly when using Recon rules (which deprive the Allies of cheap Shermans to back up the infantry).

That is why I want to know the ruling.

MrSpkr

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

The Sturmgroup don't nesecarily get their high firepower from SMG's rather the get it from having 13 troops in each squad. Im not entirely certain but I believe they only have 1 or 2 SMG's per squad. Also terrain could be used to even the score a bit by selecting moderate trees and a village map. Also you left out the german mountain troops (which im not going to attempt to spell here) almost half of the squads troops carry SMG's I believe. Maybe a limit in realation to points should be implemented in the cal rules i.e. 1 company for every 1000 points up to a maximum of a battallion (3000 pt game to 5000 pt game). Actually 1 company for every 1500 points would be a better rule. So a 1500 - 2999 point game would have a max of 1 company of SMG type units. 3000 - 4499 point game would have a maximum of 2 SMG type companies. 4500 - 5000+ point game would have 3 companies max (battallion). Whataya think?

Sturmgruppe squads have one SMG per squad (like Motorized Infantry and Panzer Grenadiere) and two or three MP44.

Therefore they do not fall under the SMG rule while Gebirgsjäger should.

Their 10 men-squads have 7 SMG with them.

Marcus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike8g:

Sturmgruppe squads have one SMG per squad (like Motorized Infantry and Panzer Grenadiere) and two or three MP44.

Therefore they do not fall under the SMG rule while Gebirgsjäger should.

Their 10 men-squads have 7 SMG with them.

Marcus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Scuse me? What exactly do you think an MP44 is, a watergun? The machine pistols are just as deadly. IMHO, the limitation should extend to units whose makeup is more than 40% automatic weapons. If limitations or bans on these troops are deemed too harsh, then the allies should be allowed to mix airborne troops with any one other force type - heck, after D-Day, they rarely fought without armored support eventually making its way through to them (MG took a while to get there, and so did Varsity, but they did just the same - look at MG after XXX Corp caught up or the 101 fighting with elements of CCA of the 10th Armored Division). If that limitation were removed, it would be much fairer or more even.

However, it is simply foolishness to claim that an MP44 or a pair of MG42's doesn't count - they do.

IRL, the Allies would rarely attack into such an enemy without heavy artillery and/or armor support. Doctrine called for hte liberal use of artillery to soften up these types of enemy troop formations.

Just my $0.05 worth. As it stands now, with the CAL rules limiting you to one force type, the Allies are at a significant disadvantage (particularly the British/Canadian/Polish, whose fire power is far outstripped by the German MG-Infantry units. Obviouslym the Allied player can choose airborne to bring things a little closer to even, but at the price of having ZERO armored units. Not very sporting, I would say.