Need help w/ quote

I need a reference for something that that Rommel was reported to have said.

It had something to do with, "If I had American equipment, British generals and Canadian soldiers I could win any war"

or some can someone please provide some basis for this?

give me enough medals and i can win any war-napoleon

that's the closest i could get...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

If I am remembering this correctly, I believe it was a reference to British Generals (or maybe men?) and American equipment, said in North Africa shortly after Kasserine Pass, when the Germans got their first look at US riches - and stuff like the bazooka, which they improved to become the Panzerschreck.

Canadians were still sitting on their asses in England at the time - except for the 2nd Div guys, and Royal Rifles and Winnipeg Grenadiers, who were suffering in German and Japanese POW camps.

"... A squadron of Spitfires, Herr Reichsmarschall." (Adolf Galland, 1940)

"Lions, led by donkeys." German general's description of the British Army (which war and which general I can't recall)

That's the best I can offer.

I'd strongly doubt that your quote is authentic, although as a fellow Canuck and the son of an Englander I'd certainly be flattered.

Australian troops with British NCOs, German officers and US equipment would be more like it though.... (if I had a division of such men, our troubles here would soon be over).

A question in return -- did the Germans have a distinct nickname for the Canadians, or were they simply another type of Tommy to them? For that matter, did the English have a tag for them, like "Diggers", "Kiwis", Taffys", "Paddys", "Jocks", "Yanks", etc?

Originally posted by Canuck:

Yes I was under the impression that he was supposed to have said it while in Africa-but the Canadians didnt fight in Africa so I was wondering how they came into the equation

Some Canadians did, just not as part of formed units. I met a gentleman last year at an Italian Campaign veteran's reunion who had the Africa Star.

If you read any of Strome Galloway's stuff (he was an officer in RCR) he served with the Brits in the desert for a few weeks to get battle experience. More than a few Canadians got to do so.

To answer the other question - the Germans apparently called the Canadians "Tommy SS" - SS were their best, Canadians were the best the "British had"....

EDIT - and the British usually called the Canucks, or when addressing an individual, it was usually "Hey, Canada!"

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 03-03-2001).]

Originally posted by LongLeftFlank:

Australian troops with British NCOs, German officers and US equipment would be more like it though.... (if I had a division of such men, our troubles here would soon be over).

From memory, I think Rommel was quoted as saying he would prefer Australian troops when attacking for their shock effect but for all round discipline & fighting spirit, he considered the Kiwis to be the best "all round" troops. In his opinion, the Aussies were simply too hard to control & maintain discipline. smile.gif (Something to be proud of in my book!)

Regards

Jim R.

oh and patton the movie: told to rommel:

american soldiers and british generals- the worst of everything

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[b

"Lions, led by donkeys." German general's description of the British Army (which war and which general I can't recall)

War was WW1.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Guest MantaRay

I think the actual quote was, "If I had 600 points instead of 400, I could buy more King Tigers, and then win more PBEM games."

-Rommel (refering to a 2,000 point Combined Arms QB)

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

A question in return -- did the Germans have a distinct nickname for the Canadians, or were they simply another type of Tommy to them? For that matter, did the English have a tag for them, like "Diggers", "Kiwis", Taffys", "Paddys", "Jocks", "Yanks", etc?

YANKS?!?!?! mad.gif Anyway, I'm not going to get into that...moving on...they/we were/are called Canucks. Well, atleast by my *shudder* SS uncle's account of the war

------------------

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

Eh?