Squad Leader

Hey I looked all over when i first heard that it was comming out and have been looking to no avail. Also my <u>unofficial</u> sources close to hasbro (ugh),i.e. a WOTC muckymuck says no go on the demo (as far as he knows). besides it may look pretty but i understand that it sucks.

------------------

The best laid plans of hamsters and men....

[This message has been edited by Dogface (edited 01-07-2001).]

Being a Has-blow product, they usually don't make demos, otherwise people would actually know had bad their games are before they waste their money on them.

Seriously Benny, you don't want to waste your time...er, play that game. My uncle bought it and he says it's horrible. I said, "Yeah I know". He said, "What do you mean, you know." I said, "Becuase I did my homework on it." You know the Internet is wonderful when it comes to researching games.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

I don't think there is a demo Benny. Where do you live.

In Canada there are places that rent games so you can give them a good test drive.

I understand in the US Electronics Boutique allows you to return them.

As far as the game, I haven't tried it but as in above posts, I hear it is pretty awful.

Benny, the new Squad Leader is simply a rehashed game with the same engine as the game known as Soldiers at War that came out about 4 years ago. It actually should have been called "Soldiers at War 2". How Hasbro put the name Squad Leader on this piece of **** game is beyond most of us here in the CM community.

Another note on the game by my uncle, he said the interface was clunky as all hell. He said you had to click here and there, here and there, just to get your guy to move.

I had high hopes for the title when i first heard it was going to be released, but after playing it a couple of times there is nothing i can recommend about it....perhaps we've all been "spoilt" by CM and now other games just seem a little bit weak in comparision.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Benny, Hasbro's Squad Leader is one of the best games I have ever played, intense, realistic, exciting, well worth the price. Heck, except for the fact that I am a little hooked on CM now and have lots of friends to play against, I would exclusively play it from now on.

Every review I've read (pro and fan comments) on the game say that it absolutely, horribly, utterly stinks and has nothing at all to do with the classic table-top wargame of the same name.

I hear that some of the Close Combat games and Steel Panthers: World at War (a totally free game) are good wargame alternatives.

------------------

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

--Einstein

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 01-07-2001).]

Yeah, they're all saying it sucks. But see, the thing is, it's different than that hex ****. I TOTALLY hate those hex games with a number and an icon, those games totally suck and I don't know how anyone can have any fun playing that crap. I mean, those games are in to large a number and they aren't fun at all! I bought one of them once, and I turned it off in 2 seconds realising what I just bought and how awful it as. Games with screenshots like squad leader...don't seem that bad. Anything besides those stupid hexes is a world of good for me.

[This message has been edited by Benny Manieri (edited 01-07-2001).]

Guest aka PanzerLeader

Hey Manieri...

I'm your age yet I have lots of fun with Operational Art of War, you know it just feels good to command an entire front not just a battalion "somewhere in France". Kinda puts you in touch with the big picture and you can feel that YOU decide who wins the bloody war.

There's nothing as sweet as encircling 3 Soviet Armies in Kiev, or capturing Moscow after a 5 month campaign...

Obviously I'd prefer if such a game could be made without hexes(the idea behind Road to Moscow), but the sheer scale of the game makes up for the hexes...

Maybe this will convince you that hexes can be tolerated...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Benny Manieri:

Yeah, they're all saying it sucks. But see, the thing is, it's different than that hex ****. I TOTALLY hate those hex games with a number and an icon, those games totally suck and I don't know how anyone can have any fun playing that crap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those games probally think you suck too.You have to remember that if it won't for those hex games CM wouldn't exist today. Everything has a heritage and history.Hex based games ARE wargames history.

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 01-07-2001).]

Benny, you should write a book.

"1 000 000 stupid things to say"

Too bad that hex wargaming is above your head. It is really interesting, getting into pure strategy, wit against wit. Cool graphics alone only serve those with short attention spans. Luckilly CM has both strategy and good graphics.