How can the panzerfausts etc ..miss ?

Originally posted by Ogadai:

Out of a matter of interest, does anybody know the arming range for the Panzerfaust? It might a case not so much of a miss as a failure to explode because it hasn't armed (in otherwords, you're too close).

As far as I know it being for all intents and purposes a rocket propelled HEAT round there would not be an arming distance on it. The cone casing would detonate the charge some distance away from the armour. It would require some velocity to detonate though. IIRC the propellant burned away on the tube so the initial "muzzle" velocity would be reached within a few meters of the firing tube and the velocity would drop sharply after the initial momentum was expended. I do not know a "safe" velocity that would render in inoprable even if it hit a target in the right angle.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

Bugger the Australians woke up...

;)

Ahh well at least it has been contained.

As for men not using the damn weapons my Missues has heard me shout many a time fire damn you fire.

JK got off lightly the other night as I did the run close and pray routine on one of his little buggers.

Not a single poop.

Eventually the man with it died and I had to scurry back with a depleted squad.

How I resolve this type of thing in my mind is that the chap with it is not in the right position or right frame of mind to use it. Bear in mind those men are spread out and might not all have view to the target, or even want a view of the target.

So in my recent example my men ran into the house. The chap with the toy ran into the basement and hid until the sarge got him out and then they died just as they were getting ready to use it.

I must say however I have had some great success with Vets, Elite and Crack in the most difficult of situations.

Anyway just paint the picture in your mind of the situation portrayed and you can resolve anything this game does.

H

Just finished reading a book called Dark and Bloody Ground, about the Huertgen Forest, where the author describes a German squad firing four panzerfausts at a Sherman sitting stationary 20 metres away, and missing all with all four.

Then some US infantry spotted the Germans, and this knowledge was instantly communicated to the Sherman by the miraculous process known as absolute spotting, and then the Sherman swung its super fast turret...

It’s really quite simple.

The geographic area covered in CM:BO lies directly in the migration path of the swallow. A goodly number of panzerfaust misses can be attributed to these birds snatching the incoming round in mid-flight. One has to remember that CM:BO is an abstraction, and although the birds are not graphically depicted in the game, they are present in the mathematical dance that is its underpinnings. While the presence of this phenomenon is widely known, an explanation for it is still hotly contested. The Royal Ornithological Society contends that these birds, flying to and from England, were drawn to pluck explosives out of mid air by a love of country and sense of duty to the crown. Many other avian experts assert that to a swallow, a panzerfaust round appears almost identical to a coconut. It is common knowledge that swallows love coconuts. Of course, the one question left unanswered by both of these theories is: In swooping away the panzerfaust round how does the swallow grip it?

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: HolgerDK ]</p>

Actually, the PF rounds are hitting, but just passing thru without detonating.

A little known fact, recently made availble to the pubic, was that 3/4 of the entire allied tank fleet was really just a wood and cloth mock-up built atop a bicycle. Some of these even had mannequins strapped on to complete the effect, and to fool Axis snipers (and sharpshooters).

Coincidentally I just today read in 'If You Survive' about a faust miss from ten FEET away, in the bocage country.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I was now able to spot their voices at no more than ten feet from the right side of our tank, and I knew we had only a moment. I threw a hand grenade and at the same time yelled at Sergeant Williams, just behind me on the tank, to shoot his rifle grenade.

Just a second later the Germans let go with a panserfaust, and I think our firing may have upset their aim--for they missed the broad side of the tank where we were sitting and instead hit solid front armor about three feet to my left. The armor-piercing shell of the panzerfaust exploded, but the angle was wrong for penetrating the armor. Nevertheless, it left huge catlike claw marks across the front of the tank, some almost two inches deep and very jagged. My hand, nearest the blast stung sharply and turned out to be burned.<hr></blockquote>

Back when I was playing soldiers, I managed to commit a suicide with a LAW. Except that it was a dummy one for training.

You see, the sight is above the tube and while I was looking thru the sights toward the APC, the tube itself was pointing at a mound of dirt about 20cm in front of it.

ouch :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you're scared ****less of the all-too-near tank which is shooting your pals to marmite and have slept three days ago, a little bit and eaten nothing since yesterday .. Your hands might shake a little, yea?