Who Actually Goes to the General Forum?

Many posts are sent to the General Forum (GF). Who actually goes to the GF to follow these banished works of prose? Also, why isn't the PENG thread - the most innane, off-topic, sophomoric post in the history of ALL message boards (this may actually be a compliment to the PENG writers) - sent to the GF?

The General Forum is probably my forum of choice now-a-days. We have interesting off topic discussions there which can get down right intellectual some times. This forum used to be fun, but not its filed with mostly boring/unoriginal stuff which I can tell Im uninterested in just by looking at the thread titles :rolleyes:

Try the Gen Forum on for size, its fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spookster:

Many posts are sent to the General Forum (GF). Who actually goes to the GF to follow these banished works of prose? Also, why isn't the PENG thread - the most innane, off-topic, sophomoric post in the history of ALL message boards (this may actually be a compliment to the PENG writers) - sent to the GF?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darren J Pierson:

If I remember correctly, the Peng forum was originally tolerated because the members of the board were spreading Peng-like, uh, material throughout many threads. The compromise was to give them one thread to pollute with the understanding that they wouldn't infect the serious threads.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, no. The Muthah Beautiful Thread IS the serious thread. We deal with real issues there, laddy me lad. We are confident, secure individuals (well, except for maybe Mouse, but he IS a special case, now, isn't he) discussing serious, weighty topics. We have discovered the true beauty of Combat Mission -- winning and losing is irrelevant -- its the taunting that counts, and CMBO is merely the vehicle for the taunting. No concerns about the ability to penetrate (well, except of course for poor Lawyer, but he IS another special case]), or worries about how many millimeters we have at hand (back off, Mace) or angles of attack (no, Stuka, not THAT); no pointless posts about how BTS did such a poor job modeling [insert weapons system name here] and how the solution is SO obvious and what idiots they must be for screwing it up; no questions about the impact of Hershey's candy bar consumption on the level of alertness in a typical allied tank at dusk in April 1945 during the rain; no no, no, we discuss real, meaty topics, such as 'When does the Bar Close'; or 'How Joe Shaw Can Solve the World Energy Crisis' (hint -- it has something to do with his being, umm, gaseous). We also ask the truly IMPORTANT questions (such as when was the last time Stalin's Organ had a shower (trick question -- he never bathes! Can't you tell by the smell? At first I thought it was just the Outer Board grogs, but then I noticed his previous post . . . I digress . . .))

Why are we in the CM forum? Because, lad, as I said before (rather dim bulb, aren't you), CMBO provides us the vehicle for our taunting. We are yin and yang; one could not exist without the other. Without us, CMBO would just be . . . a bunch of . . . GROGS!!

(Runs down hall . . . throws open liquor cabinet . . . 'Glug, glug, glug!' . . . whew . . . scary thoughts like that ALWAYS drive me to drink . . . but I digress (again))

Besides, Steve and the Omnipotent Balding One like us and find us amusing.

[edited because, well, just because!]

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

the PENG thread - the most innane, off-topic, sophomoric post in the history of ALL message boards<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. I didn't think anyone cared, sniff, ah'm so proud. I'd like to thank mommmy and...

Hey!

Inane is spelt inane. Not innane. What are you, illiterate?

Many posts are sent to the General Forum (GF). Who actually goes to the GF to follow these banished works of prose? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sometimes check out the General Forum to see if there is Anythingof interest.

Infact I am on my way now..

Banished works of prose?

Guess that's a matter of opinion.

I check out general forum almost daily. As well as the tips&tricks forum. Some very nice threads out there.

It's relaxing when the threads stay in the front page for days, not hours like in Combat Mission forum.

Well. It looks from your namesake, Spookster, that I've got a cousin on this board. ;)

The proper place for Peng threads & its denizens would be some Usenet newsgroup like alt.games.combat-mission.getalife. But as CMBO remains the vehicle to propel many of their taunts with, it hovers "on topic" by the barest thread. And yes, BTS probably does think it to be an entertainment fix; kinda like a forum version of "Survivor" or "Weakest Link" or whatnot.

Multiple Peng threads, however, are regarded as cess spillover, whereupon the Madmatted one charges in as a cyber-bouncer with extreme prejudice and beats the spillover thread over the head with a Master Lock.

Speaking of which, this thread will probably soon be moved to the General Forum also....

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spook:

The proper place for Peng threads & its denizens would be some Usenet newsgroup like alt.games.combat-mission.getalife.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Great Martini Debate alone revealed more useful information than the entire SMG mini-series (except for Steve's chiming in). And the taunts, while less vicious and petty, were of higher quality. I suppose until someone forms alt.smg.getalife the SMGers are tolerated here, like a forum version of "The Art Bell Show".

:eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

The Great Martini Debate alone revealed more useful information than the entire SMG mini-series (except for Steve's chiming in). And the taunts, while less vicious and petty, were of higher quality. I suppose until someone forms alt.smg.getalife the SMGers are tolerated here, like a forum version of "The Art Bell Show".

:eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did it! I DID IT!! I ruffled the feathers of a Pengster! I thought you guys by now were comparatively more hardened against an outsider's taunt than the frontal armor of a Jagdtiger.

Wow, I feel like I won a lottery. Or hit retirement pension elegibility. Whichever.

But duly noted, Mark IV. Indeed, the Peng denizens don't practice forum acrimony near so much than as seen in the contentious topics for CM design issues. From the times I've browsed Peng threads LONG ago, it was more an exercise in prose and verbal flexibility at how potential CM opponents would taunt each other.

It just seemed also that the effort spent in generating "Peng" taunts was more of an involved hobby that playing CM itself. ;)

So keep up your "Peng" threads here (only one at a time, though). Maybe I'll read one again someday. Certainly, they're a forum legacy of sorts.....

I usually go to the General Forum first when I go the Forum. As like Jarmo said, it's nice to see threads stay active for more than 3 hours.

Besides, if you've been around here since the Beta Days, then you've pretty much heard everything about the game that we care to. So yeah as The Commissar said, the threads on the Combat Mission forum are basically boring to us board veterans.