AI Logic

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here please.

I was tinkering in constructing my first scenerio the other day and I found a problem with AI logic.

I took a German platoon and put them in 3 trucks. The HQ unit was placed in a kwagen. Now a sniper from the Allies was placed nearby so that I could watch activities of other side. To my great surprise and frustration they all just sat in their vehicles. I tried the same in another scenerio and only one group got out of the trucks. For crying out loud they just sat there. The mission was on attack for the Germans and they had to take an objective held by Allies. What gives?

I'm not fully sure I understand what your indicating the problem is. Now are you trying to disembark the infantry from the transport?

Try this link... http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000640

You can place a tiny reverse order at the point you want your troops to disembark, and then put the first movement order of the transported unit close to that reverse waypoint. The transported unit will grab dirt where you need them.

;)

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: Radar ]

The problem is with AI. It is the AI which does not disembark or move from trucks. Yes I have tried it with half tracks which seems to work however why should I not be able to leave em in the trucks and let the AI decide what to do with em. Move forward whatever. The same goes for the German leader sitting in the kwagen. he just sits there nodding off until I move my troops up to him and wake him up.

There are plenty of cries for historical accuracy...is it accurate that all troops turned up in APC's?

No in dire situations troops would be dragged in from anywhere hence unamoured vehicles being modelled.

As previosly stated is this not something that a future patch could rectify?

I'm bumping this one!

I feel your pain. The AI never seems to do what I intend it to do. For example, I have trouble with the exact opposite thing your dealing with. I put a company of Pz Grenadiers in Halftracks, put the HT on a road, and give them an exit point. Do the HT drive down the road like I want them to? NOOOOO! All the soldiers disembark and go at it on foot!!! :mad:

I dunno, maybe I'm just trying to simulate something that CM isn't made to simulate. All I want is to set up a scenario where a convoy of HT loaded with Pz Grenadiers attempt to leave the map but get ambushed.

Yeah, I also wanted to set up a

fun 'stay at home' scenario which

involved ambushing a column of

infantry in trucks with just a light

MG and a spotter with 4 rounds of

interdiction fire. I couldn't get

the AI to drive up the road with

the trucks (sensibly enough, since

the game is about battles and not

sneaky behind-the-lines ambushes).

So just to have my little fun, I

played both sides as a hotseat game.

It turned out as expected...wrecked

trucks, maimed 18 yr old boys... no

prob for the ambushers to slink away

in the confusion....

--Rett

I think we might all be surprised if we found out what features of CM are not accessible to the AI. For example, does the AI set ambush markers? Does the AI use leader teams to spot for mortars? This ability was added later in a patch ... but does the AI know the complex pattern of behavior necessary to exploit it?

I think that some of the games' features are simply "ignored" by the AI.

On the other hand: I am just playing "A Day in the Cavalary" and decided to give a platoon a ride in trucks. Bad idea. Their encounter with a German FlaK gun was swift and brutal! So, maybe the AI did the only sensible thing in leaving the trucks where they are.

Regards, Thomm