A look at Utah Beach.

Hey, I am not usually one to use batch files, but I think a batch-file Utah beach program would be perfect for this. That would cut down on the tedium of replacing then un-replacing all those tiles you've used.

We could enter a whole new era of Scenario-specific batch-file mods! Wow, just think! Good work Clubfoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Hey, I am not usually one to use batch files, but I think a batch-file Utah beach program would be perfect for this. That would cut down on the tedium of replacing then un-replacing all those tiles you've used.

We could enter a whole new era of Scenario-specific batch-file mods! Wow, just think! Good work Clubfoot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clubfoot GREAT job on the new mod

:D as Panzer Leader said I think a batch file would be a great idea!! This is a must have mod, thanks for all the hard work.

SS Peiper

Clubfoot,Hi,

I have never been taken by any of the conversions before. Not because they are not very good, they certainly are, but because they have never taken my imagination. Happy with the straight game plus the odd mod.

However, this “conversion” has taken my imagination. It looks great and seems to me that a realistic modelling of beach assault may be possible.

I look forward to giving it a go.

I always thought it a bit of a shame that beach assaults were not covered in CMBO. Only a “bit of a shame”, still stunned by how good CMBO is even without beaches.

All the best,

You certainly know what you are about,

Kip.

Panzer Leader,

The concept of scenario specific mods (SSM's)is actually not a new one. DFDR uses them (Italians Attack!) as well as the Skorzeny SSM I did for the scenario Sheep's Clothing (which can be found at Manx's or the Skorzeny Flash page at DFDR). I intend to release the pack TwoShed's ModManager compatible. If anyone else would like to create batch's for it, be my guest.

MikeT, I'm sure Magua will appreciate your asking. If you only intend to use the foamy/wave/beach part, however, be my guest. There are some tricks to making the effect come off correctly though, and I'll include a little how-to readme with the package.

If you guys like Utah, I'll probably let everyone in on the cliff scaling mod I'm working on. Now you're rangers will be able to actually scale those bloody coastal cliffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

The obstacles on the beach are a single tile of marsh with a transparent base (prevents vehicle movement).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is where I am confused. The beach is level 1 Open Ground. The frothy white foam is Open Ground Level 0. The tiles where water meets sand is Marsh Level 0. The Marsh bmp has been converted to anti-tank obstacles.

Fine - but you say that single squares of Marsh with transparent bases are used on the beach squares to also get the obstacles on dry land.

How is it possible to use marsh tiles twice???

Clubfoot ,

another " MUST HAVE " mod ! Great work. Only ONE minor suggestion: there is no " plain " sand tile ( bmp ) in the pack , so we can´t create wider beaches ( OMAHA ! ). Is there any change that you can publish a plain sand bmp ( maybe the full pines (sp?) or wheatfield bmp could do the job ).

Cheers

Tom

Micheal,

The single tile marsh (occupies 1 terrain square) uses a different .bmp for it's base than the single file line of marsh. The first is a small circle of marsh and achieves it's effect on the beach by never being placed adjacent to another marsh tile. It has a clear (that lovely pink) base. The second (line of marsh occupying a straight row) has a base resembling surf and achieves its effect by being placed adjacent to other marsh tiles in a horizontal column. Play around with the included scenario and you'll see what I mean.

Tom,

The beach and surf currently span a distance of almost 100 meters. In all actuality, this is probably too great a distance already. BUT, I can sympathize with your desire for a visually "deeper" beach. I'll work something out for you in the next week!

Thanks for all the nods, guys!

Thanks so much Clubfoot, the mod is super sweet.

But the secenario that came with it is only playable with another human, single player is not an option when I start it up. I tried making a few changes and renaming it but still only hotseat, pbem, or Tcp/ip available.

This on purpose?

Single player is not an option for the Axis side. It is for the Allies. Assault boats will invariably make beach landing scenarios Allied only single player games.

The Americans have a group of five useless assault boats stranded on a shoal a few hundred meters off-shore. This would be why you can't play the Germans single player, as with all assault boat included maps.

Now these assault boats are entirely without conventional use. But, on the first round, they do serve a semi-valuable purpose. Their initial placement and exposure draws a hideous volume of fire. This is both aesthetically pleasing (fireworks!), and serves to give the Allied invasion force some important auditory clues as to placement of defenses (a thing they would have had some knowledge of anyway).