A look at Utah Beach.

Ok, the screenshot is kinda big and may take a moment to load. Be patient!

We've all found the Magua Normandy mod quite fetching, haven't we? Me too. So, using the Normandy mod, I've made a few small additions and alterations to come up with a beach landing playset. Since Omaha beach scenarios are just flat impossible to play, I've been working on a Utah scenario. That's right, the quiet beach... the Roosevelt Jr. beach... the "We'll start the war from here." beach. Here are the results thus far.

View?u=1567327&a=11906199&p=50638181&Sequence=0&res=high

Look for it at Manx's upon completion. Probably in a couple of days.

The beach, sand leading into foliage and frothy white foam are open ground terrain levels 0 and 1. The leading edge of water (graduated area of white to blue) is a straight line of marsh (slows movement and gives very minimal cover). The obstacles were achieved with the 'reed and thicket' bmp's that accompany the marsh terrain. The obstacles on the beach are a single tile of marsh with a transparent base (prevents vehicle movement).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

The beach, sand leading into foliage and frothy white foam are open ground terrain levels 0 and 1. The leading edge of water (graduated area of white to blue) is a straight line of marsh (slows movement and gives very minimal cover). The obstacles were achieved with the 'reed and thicket' bmp's that accompany the marsh terrain. The obstacles on the beach are a single tile of marsh with a transparent base (prevents vehicle movement).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VERY ingenius!

Nicely done!

That Beach looks GREAT

I'm sure Even Steve and Charles and Matt and Dan will be impressed!

do you plan to share your new "toys"

smile.gif

-tom w

The beach, sand leading into foliage and frothy white foam are open ground terrain levels 0 and 1. The leading edge of water (graduated area of white to blue) is a straight line of marsh (slows movement and gives very minimal cover). The obstacles were achieved with the 'reed and thicket' bmp's that accompany the marsh terrain. The obstacles on the beach are a single tile of marsh with a transparent base (prevents vehicle movement).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'm still a little confused as what makes the waves there on the sand.

They are part of the texture tile for open ground level 0.

(aka_tom_w, Thanks. I'll ship the whole package to Manx when I've had a chance to test the scenario a couple of times. I hope to see it up before the end of the week.)

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

They are part of the texture tile for open ground level 0.

(aka_tom_w, Thanks. I'll ship the whole package to Manx when I've had a chance to test the scenario a couple of times. I hope to see it up before the end of the week.)

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so pure Sand is Level 1 and then the Sand with Foliage has to be Level 2 right?

Using the lower area of the above screenshot for an example. From the first obstacle to the ass-end of the rearmost Sherman is marsh.

From the back of said Sherman (this includes exactly half of the foamy area) to the leading edge of the greenery is open ground terrain level 0.

From the leading edge of the greenery to the graduation into full fulliage is open ground terrain level 1.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

Just when I think I am all WOWed out and have seen all the impressive stuff I am gonna see with this game, someone comes along and WOWs me again. It's been one hell of a 4 days for CM mods. Unbelievable!

Well F**king done!

Mord

I have spent some time on that beach and others around Normandy and you have caught the spirit of it well.

I can almost feel the mist from the spray of the waves against my face.

:D

I just wished that BTS could do some more interesting fortifications. A trench system is essential for the defenders on a battle set like this as they need to be able to traverse the battle front under cover to make up for there weaker numbers.

This is getting close to my childhood memories of storming the beach with airfix commandos against the german plastic fortification set. The one with a trench system connected to a single gun. Was it a radar station?

Anyway another round of applause for a truly talented artist...

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Holien ]

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Holien ]

Holien,

I had a bunch of those plastic playsets and they inspired this mod/scenario. And I believe it was a radar station, although it was called the "Nazi Listening Station". Sounds menacing, hmm? My fave was the "D-DAY!" set complete w/ obstacles, landing craft, Tobruk style gun casements, and even an LST! (although very undersized).

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. Didn't know there would be a clamor, but I'll now finish up with due expediency. See ya on the beach.