MGs in game don't live up to the real deal!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, when a gamer calls for an improvement, and put the real war as exemple is more or less a request to a trick to win easier. smile.gif I've seen that in my long years of tester in the SP series and in the debate on the TS Battlefront. Arty is too or too less accurate or destructive, mg the same, Flame are too suppressive or useles, armor are too hard to knock out or 88 are the death ray. I too thinked once in this mood.

Now I think that gamers have too great expectations of the power of weapons. The true story is a row of missed shots, tons of HE needed to kill a single soldier ( I forget now the exact ratio TNT/casualties but was surprinsingly high) I'm just reading Steel Inferno and still wondering how a full day of fighting at divisional level lead to casualties lower than we can see in a single batallion scenario of 20 minutes. And CM is absolutely the better wargames ever in modelling of casualties. I quote from the book

" The first phase of the battle of Normandy was now coming to an end .. the Hitlerjugend was HEAVILY ( my emphasis) involved... By the morning of the 11th june casualty figures numbered aproximately 900 personnel, of wich 220 were dead, and 25 tanks had been lost"

If the whole fight in wich 12SSHJ was involved can be (Suggestion for a campaign designer wink.gif ) done I fear that the division will be annhilated from Witt to the last private.

Cheers

von Schalburg wrote:

The MG 42 has a firing rate of 1200 bullets a minute

Cyclic firing rate. Like you mentioned, you have to change barrel after firing 200-250 rounds and with continuous fire it will be closer to 200 than 250. Supposing that a barrel change takes 5 seconds, you can get out 200 rounds in 15 seconds (if you don't spend too much time doing some extra niceties as aiming), and the highest practical rof is 800 rounds/minute.

However, you need three spare barrels to be able to do that. Also, the barrels will not cool fast enough (at least without abundant supply of cold water) so you can't maintain that rate of fire for many minutes.

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that even with MG42 the maximum rof in combat would be somewhere along 400 rounds/minute.

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

Reagan's response? "I don't know and I don't care."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was the 3rd Baseman and Shortstop.

Who's on first?

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!