Terrain grid in CM2

I'd like to have an option in CM2 to toggle a terrain grid on/off.

IMHO it helps a lot when plotting moves and arty bombardements 'cause it's much easier to estimate elevation changes.

I once downloaded a terrain grid from one of our mod artists but I don't want to see it all the time. ;)

With all those other beautiful terrain and units mods I sometimes want to enjoy the beautiful scenery without the grid.

Any comments?

Hm, seems most of you guys are still searching for eastereggs...

So few people interested in a grid ?

OH MY GOD!

My fantastic, extraordinary and truely amazing idea doesn't get too much attention.

I'm really down.

;)

Think I will drown myself in the cesspool...

Might be useful. Perhaps the best way to do it would be to have a hotkey that would switch from a gridded to regular terrain. It is possible to switch textures in-game, smoke does this when you toggle from high to low quality, right?

MrSpkr, I love your sig.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Perhaps the best way to do it would be to have a hotkey that would switch from a gridded to regular terrain. It is possible to switch textures in-game<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several ways to do this through code which shouldn't be terribly complicated (according to a friend of mine; my Direct3D skills are fairly primitive).

They shouldn't have to switch textures. Or more accurately, they shouldn't have to load alternate texture graphics: one possibility is to draw the grid on the ground textures in memory, a relatively quick and easy operation.

In fact, this is why I was so surprised grids weren't available in the first place. It should be very easy to do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a patch to CM1 as well as inclusion in CM2.

Honestly the only time I have seen grids lain over the land is when I am at 27000 feet and looking down from a plane. Don't you think you have enough of an advantage to be able to scoot all over the field, turn the tree and weather on and off, the multiviews and so on? Grids might be nice, but I really don't need them to be effective.

well, for what it's worth, here's the grids I use; they were generated by a Java utility I wrote.

Sample Grid

They are quite subtle and I really like 'em. They have major and minor grids, which is something BTS should consider if they add a hotkey to show grids.....

(I never published the utility cause it's a pain to use....)

[ 04-22-2001: Message edited by: sbg2112 ]

No -- you can't toggle it.

(And, speaking as a programmer, I'm not sure you could even hack it in; while it would be possible to have a keystroke to act as a toggle, I think the textures are loaded by CM when it starts the scenario.)

So, it's like any other gridded terrain -- a set of texture bitmaps that you place in the CM BMP directory. The only thing that's different is that you don't have to spend hours in a paint program getting your grid dialed in. You create your gridded terrain by feeding my utility a lot of parameters which specify the thickness of the lines, the transparency level, and colors (including whether they vary by height).

As I said, though, it's difficult to use and I don't have time to put a user interface on it. I only mentioned it because I thought BTS might wanna think about some of these things if they embrace the idea of a hotkey to toggle grids.

[ 04-22-2001: Message edited by: sbg2112 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmead:

Grids might be nice, but I really don't need them to be effective.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was originally ambivalent about how badly I wanted grids, but realistically if I'm Out Standing In A Field (as the floyd would say), I can usually very easily discern the rise and fall of the terrain. In CM this can often be very difficult without an unreasonable amount of what I've come to think of as "camera recon". A grid is an obvious and probably-simple answer to that problem.

I would like to see it as a toggled feature for the same reasons I don't use pre-drawn grids or low-res/hi-contrast textures: I think CM imagery is really great, and a permanent grid would significantly reduce the overall quality of my playing experience.

It seems kind of funny how this keeps coming up, but BTS has never responded to it (as far as I can recall).