Mod manager/editor

I've been working on a Mod Editor in my spare time for a couple of weeks and it's alomost finished, at least as a Beta Version.

It's written in Java and should, in principle, run on the MAC's, but It hasn't been tested on one.(PC native binaries may also be available later)

There are a couple of screen-shots at http://www.geocities.com/mikekh123/mod_manager.html

All of the CM entities can/will be listed as a tree structure as seen on the left in the screen-shots. At the moment I have only a few entities in the data file, it's a tedious task entering all CM entities. If you click on an object in the tree you will get a display of the bitmaps (or WAV files) currently being used for that object. You also have a view of alternative bitmaps/wav files held in ZIP files, (these don't need to be unzipped to be viewed).

So if its a bitmap you can see it and zipped alternatives, you may also edit the bitmap by use of your favourite editor, you register this editor and it's invoked automatically when you click on the bitmap.

If its a wav file you can play it (even if it's zipped, the Mod Manager plays it 'on the fly' without unzipping ),

and you can also edit it with an audio editor that you register with the manager.

The currently used bitmaps/WAV files can then be replaced with any you select from the zip files or you can simply edit the current bitmaps/wavs.

So, for example, if your Tiger has just wiped out 5 Shermans in rapid succesion, you do a quick game save, press ESC and start the mod manager. (You don't need to quit CM). With the mod manager pull up the Tiger bitmaps and edit 5 'Kill rings' onto the gun, save bitmap, go back into CM and load the saved game and there is your Tiger with 5 more 'kill rings'!.

When its finished I'll give copies away for non-commercial use to anyone who wants it. I should be finished in 2 days to 2 weeks...

Mike.

Looks good, lots of capability there! Good job so far!

a few notes seeing how the screen shots are from a pc or similar, and you mention it hasnt been tested on a mac yet:

CM for the mac places the graphics and sounds into resource files, not just a bmp or sound folder. I have the mapping information in MCM3 as a menu item, feel free to use it.

(I've tried to standardize with BTS where graphics get placed (especially the winter cammo ones) so future mods and releases dont destroy earlier ones. You may not agree with all I did, but keeping the mac mod managers consistent helps all of us.)

Also, graphics are converted to PICTS and saved in the graphics resource files... wavs require conversion to mac system sound format and then are saved in the sound resource files. Again, mapping info is included in MCM3 (note, there is one error for tcp/ip sound, which will be fixed in an upcoming revision to MCM3. It doesnt affect gameplay and is a minor fix).

Oh, one other thing: CM likes to crash if the user modifies graphics/sounds while CM is running. At least on the mac.

I love the idea of being able to preview the files even when zipped (MCM3 doesnt currently support that, not sure if it will in the future).

You've got some neat ideas there, good luck and I hope it works out!

(MCM3 and CM mac mod can be found at CMHQ)

best,

dave

------------------

History is made at night

[This message has been edited by aikidorat (edited 02-10-2001).]

Thanks all for your comments etc. From whats been said the MAC may be a problem. There are Java virtual machines for MAC's

so in principle the code will run but teh whole issue of resource files etc will need to be looked at and given that I don't have a MAC it could prove difficult! But if MAC folk want it then I'll happily give the Java source to a hacker.

Kilo,

thanks for the offer... I just wanted to make sure mac users didnt salivate too much over what you are creating, then be disappointed when it didnt work.

hopefully someone here will step up and offer to convert it to the mac (i dont have the time, and am rusty on Java).

keep up the good work, and thanks for thinking of us mac users.

best,

dave

------------------

History is made at night

Added another screen-shot to

http://www.geocities.com/mikekh123/mod_manager.html

This shows all the available mods for the Panther (you can of course select other directories to look in for mods). The tool-tip text describes how to 'block swap' all the bitmaps for a Panther that are in the selected zip file. You can also 'single swap' bitmaps, so you could have a panther made up from bitmaps taken from any number of mod-packs. I'm also going to include an 'audit trail' or 'history list' of bitmaps and wav files used. In other words if you get SuperMoDPAck3000.zip and install the Panther mods from it, you will still have visibility of the 'old' Panther bitmaps (and the mod pack from which they came) and can easill re-install if you get bored with SuperMoDPAck3000. And don't forget you can always edit the installed bitmaps using the registered editor.

nearly finished... smile.gif

This shows all the available mods for the Panther (you can of course select other directories to look in for mods). The tool-tip text describes how to 'block swap' all the bitmaps for a Panther that are in the selected zip file. You can also 'single swap' bitmaps, so you could have a panther made up from bitmaps taken from any number of mod-packs. I'm also going to include an 'audit trail' or 'history list' of bitmaps and wav files used. In other words if you get SuperMoDPAck3000.zip and install the Panther mods from it, you will still have visibility of the 'old' Panther bitmaps (and the mod pack from which they came) and can easill re-install if you get bored with SuperMoDPAck3000. And don't forget you can always edit the installed bitmaps using the registered editor.

KIA, this mod manager is very impressive so far. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it. Any ideas on when you expect to be finished? I’m currently using the mod manager over at CMHQ, and while it works, its abilities are extremely limited, especially in comparison to what you are attempting. Keep up the good work.

PIG