To CM Mechanics, Technicians, and Competitors

Mine wouldn't be a very fancy website. You could think of it as the "newspaper" for the tournaments. New tourney offerings, statistics, announcement of tourney winners, due dates, etc.. It would probably be just text and charts. I would put my time and energy into the tournaments themselves by offering some tourneys with custom maps, force purchasing in the editor, carrying over forces from battle to battle, and other time consuming things that enhance gameplay and challenge. I'm not too interested in HTML or web page design. I'm interested in tournaments.

First off, I think it is a great idea. I would join.

But a couple things to think on. One is, how are you going to accept payment? Paypal?

Another is, if you think places like tournamenthouse are hypercompetitive now, just wait until people are playing for money. So I submit to you, that it will probably be a nightmare to try to enforce in-game "gaminess" rules. Force limits would work, of course. But again you are going to have a lot of min-maxing going on.

Darwin: heh heh heh.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: Wreck ]

Another thing you might consider is contacting Yobobo about this. I have no idea if he would be interested in helping to run it, or maybe sharing software, but he does have fully functioning mostly-automatic tournament software. We used it without problems for the recent TH tourney.

There would be no "gamey" rules since they are impossible to enforce. Even force restriction rules must be very specific and in print to prevent misunderstanding. Any casual agreements between players would be agreed upon at players' own risk. I wouldn't agree to anything that wasn't specific and written down if I were playing. You're asking to get double-crossed if you do.

Yobobo could do what I'm planning right now, I'll bet. I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't already. If he does, and it works out for him I would probably just offer special, labor intensive tourneys with custom maps, force choosing in the editor, and carrying over forces from battle to battle as we've been discussing in another thread.

Entrance fees would be sent in by check or money order. If a check bounced that player would of course be dropped. PayPal is an interesting idea, but I'd have to see how much it would cost to use the service.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

I would be interested, but I foresee a payment problem. Living in Europe, all dollar payments will cost me about double after the exchange rate and credit card charges are calculated. And this is for amounts round the US $ 45, the typical game price. For smaller amounts of money the actual payment might be even 3 or 4 times the price (I almost never order online for this reason).

Bertram

Treeburst, I'm not talking about HTML etc. I'm talking about an application server that does all the work that you're talking about in maintaining user lists, sending emails, etc and handling payments. In a pinch, I could help out with writing the software for this.

As for Paypal as a method of payment, Paypal does not play well with non-US customers. To receive money, you must have a checking account domiciled in the US -- which kind of defeats the purpose.

What you should consider is keeping a tab, and handling payments through a US based but international bank, like Citi. There are Citi branches in at least Germany (I saw them in Frankfurt!) and probably most other Western European countries; and there are no charges for writing/cashing a check drawn on a Citi account in another country.

There would be absolutely _no_ point in trying to make force-restrictions; buyer must beware when playing. Min maxing would be the king, and historicism would go straight out the door (not that there's anything wrong with that in this context.)

Much like deathmatching in Quake, the learning curve will be steep and expensive.

This would be a perfect way to find all gamey tactics there is. And really discover the best value force compositions.

It would also be a great way for the likes of Fionn to make a living out of CM. :D

As for myself, I wouldn't have any interest whatsoever to take part in a thing like that...