Yet another mod preview--NOT a uniform this time!

Ok, time for another preview. This time it's the hi-res Jeep mod that's been under wraps in the Top Secret Mod Development Lab for some time. (Translation: I started it a long time ago, got bored with it, but decided to finish it up now).

It's not quite done yet--it needs a little fine tuning (like getting rid of excess pink spots), and some dirtying up.

Mr. Gordon Molek has kindly agreed to do his famous "Mr. Freeze" act and winterize these babies when they're done.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

and let's not forget our Canadian brothers:

jeep3.jpg

(a British version will also be forthcoming).

Showroom perfect, but I like it anyway!

How about a slat-grille version, like the early MBs?

Incidentally, how come none of the Commonwealth modders use khaki drab paint? All the restored vehicles I've seen have been more brown than green - including stuff in Jack Guthrie's collection, etc. Not a criticism, just a question. I thought Canadian (at least, possibly British) vehicles were painted this brown colour predominantly from 1944 on. Has anyone done serious research on colour chips?

I love the pioneer tools on this one especially!

You might want to put a bridging disc in place of the passenger side headlight, also - I believe that was standard for Brit and Canadian jeeps.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Does the word "WOW" cover this? :D And to think that he made this mods on a MAC... ;) <hr></blockquote>

...Hey, what can I say, the Mac is a superior piece of equipment.

Excuse me, I have to go now and burn an offering at my shrine to Steve Jobs. :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Showroom perfect, but I like it anyway!

How about a slat-grille version, like the early MBs?

Incidentally, how come none of the Commonwealth modders use khaki drab paint? All the restored vehicles I've seen have been more brown than green - including stuff in Jack Guthrie's collection, etc. Not a criticism, just a question. I thought Canadian (at least, possibly British) vehicles were painted this brown colour predominantly from 1944 on. Has anyone done serious research on colour chips?

I love the pioneer tools on this one especially!

You might want to put a bridging disc in place of the passenger side headlight, also - I believe that was standard for Brit and Canadian jeeps.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Michael. This is just a slapped together fake commonwealth version. I just put Canadian unit markings on it and upside-down stars. I will adjust the paint color to a more khaki-brown color and add a bridging disc, per your suggestions, in the final version.

smile.gif

And of course it's showroom clean! I just trotted it out of the factory this evening for the first time! :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sbg2112:

:eek: is right!

Now that you've got a terrific "factory-fresh" jeep, maybe you could put a little dirt and wear on it?

Oh, and you've got some "pinkies" on it....<hr></blockquote>

Thanks, and, uh, read the 2nd paragraph of my first post... ;)

Michael I was under the impression that the standard colour for British vehicles was British Army Bronze Green - which this mod matches reasonably well. Lend-lease was often supplied in US Olive Drab, which is lighter than Bronze green, while Khaki Drab was different again.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Ok, time for another preview. This time it's the hi-res Jeep mod that's been under wraps in the Top Secret Mod Development Lab for some time. (Translation: I started it a long time ago, got bored with it, but decided to finish it up now).

It's not quite done yet--it needs a little fine tuning (like getting rid of excess pink spots), and some dirtying up.

Mr. Gordon Molek has kindly agreed to do his famous "Mr. Freeze" act and winterize these babies when they're done.

(a British version will also be forthcoming).<hr></blockquote>

Andrew. Holy Cow! That's a hell of a piece of work. Almost too crisp. This deserves the full-monty treatment. We need to talk. smile.gif

Send me some e-mail. "gordonemolek@earthlink.com".

4027/4028 are the general tire tread BMPs.

Michael,

According to Wise: "D-Day to Berlin",

U.S. and Canadian vehicles were issued to British troops in olive drab, and in most cases this overall colour seems to have been retained until either the vehicle needed repainting or it went for repair or modification, when khaki drab was applied.

Gordon

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Gordon ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

Crisp and clean. Excellent work.

I know it's a long shot...but...is there any chance at getting the British Airborne "Pegasus" insignia on this beauty? It's the only vehicle that CMBO allows my Devils to drive...

ab6.jpg

I know, B&W pic... but look closely...

Airborne Jeeps.<hr></blockquote>

I think a Pegasus emblem is not out of line...

smile.gif

I'll clear up a few points about this mod:

1. It's not done yet. Yes, I know that there are details missing and some pinkies to be eliminated.

2. Yeah, it's mega-clean, as it's just rolled out of the factory. I will dirty it up once all the details, etc. are applied. Dirt and grime fans need not worry. ;) I will also include the original crisp-n-clean version in the final release.

3. No, you can't have brown seats. As far as I can tell most Jeep seats were not brown, but an olive-gray color, like they are here. If you want to make ahistorical brown seats after the mod is released than go ahead.

4. Thanks to all for the bits of info. I will leave all versions of the Jeep olive drab (see Gordon's post). Various markings and other stuff (like a British Airborne Pegasus emblem) will be included.

More screenshots will be posted tonight after I get home. I forgot to show some of the coolest details! smile.gif