Interface suggestion for scenario menu & "standard" dialog boxes

I think it could be a nice addition to have folders within the scenario folder. That way you could sort scenarios, for instance all Normandy (or Kursk) scenarios in one folder, sorted by nationality, year or whatever criteria you wish. Ideally the folders should be just like folders in the operating system, i.e. you should be able to add, delete or rename them. Perhaps all this (including moving/copying of files) should be made from the OS, eliminating the need to manipulate them from within CM.

Another wish is that the "save as" dialog box (when saving games or naming PBEM files) should be replaced with the standard "Save As.." dialog box that the operating system use, just as it already is in the scenario editor.

Yeah, I like this kind of idea. Scenario management can get out of hand at times, particularly becasue there are so many great scenarios/operations out there but so little time to play them all. Most of them stay in a generic CM custom scenario folder in a zipped state waiting for me to one day rediscover why I downloaded them :(

It would be great to organise them within CM(BB) itself in the same way that some CM sites do eg. theatre, date, size etc so you know what you have at a glance. Perhaps even incorporate a scenario filter to help you find particular scenarios.

I would suggest another feature that I think would be really useful (probably been suggested before?): The ability to view the map from the scenario selection screen.

I find that the map size/design is a big factor in whether I choose to play a scenario. It also lets you jog your memory as to what the scenario is about (the quality of the map judged from screenshots, along with the scenario descriptions, at sites like Manx's COMBAT MISSIONS and Der Kessel are big selling points with me)

Lt Bull

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lt Bull:

I would suggest another feature that I think would be really useful (probably been suggested before?): The ability to view the map from the scenario selection screen.

I find that the map size/design is a big factor in whether I choose to play a scenario. It also lets you jog your memory as to what the scenario is about (the quality of the map judged from screenshots, along with the scenario descriptions, at sites like Manx's COMBAT MISSIONS and Der Kessel are big selling points with me)

Lt Bull<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean a screenshot of the map (provided by the scenario designer) or access to the actual 3D-map without any units?

• 2 months later...

Folders would be GREAT. Particularly when your 6 year old son discovers CM and thinks it's the best game EVER. He starts making maps and saving a gagzillion games. He wants to know how to get the King tiger and if a wasp can take one out from the front. He asks what a shrek is used for and is fascinated by the answer. The other day he told be CM is a GREAT kids game because it doesn't have any blood and they should sell it to kids because it's the BEST game ever. (BTW he's given up playing his n64)

Now the problem is I have to tell him to clean up his room AND clean up the Combat Mission saved games folder. BTS do somtink quik!

Actually just including folders in CMII would be wonderful.

-marc

Folks, there is one problem with using 'Windows Standard' dialog boxes: Macs. No rundll32, no MsgBox function, Windows APIs, etc.

And different file system too, meaning that using standard OS folders is not a likely option.

But I do agree with the impetus: we need some better ways of organizing and filtering scenarios.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Folks, there is one problem with using 'Windows Standard' dialog boxes: Macs. No rundll32, no MsgBox function, Windows APIs, etc.

And different file system too, meaning that using standard OS folders is not a likely option.

<hr></blockquote>

But the "open" box (load e-mail) is standard, the "save as" in the scenario design menus is standard. This is not a big deal but it could automatize the PBEM numbering / sending when using OneClick or similar programs.

One workaround that I used when I played a 6/44 through to 5/45 series of many, many scenarios was to put them all into many sub folders by month. Then I would rename the current one in use "Scenarios" so only those would show up. Takes a bit of time to set up, but worked rather well. When I was through, it was quick to highlight and drag em all back into the scenario folder.