PC Gamer's top 50 games of all time, look where CM is!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agghh.. Civilization I is a classic, I never played II much. (I used up all my time with CIV's before II ;))

Funny that it classes some games as "<put game name here> series" and some like "put game name here> II" (ie. Mech Warrior II vs. system shock series)

I spotted also Ultima there.. *drool*

only 7 there, should be whole ultima series *grr*

Ps. Wheres the Wolfenstein, the root of all bad and evil doom,quake and halflife types?

Agghh.. Civilization I is a classic, I never played II much. (I used up all my time with CIV's before II ;))

Funny that it classes some games as "<put game name here> series" and some like "put game name here> II" (ie. Mech Warrior II vs. system shock series)

I spotted also Ultima there.. *drool*

only 7 there, should be whole ultima series *grr*

Ps. Wheres the Wolfenstein, the root of all bad and evil doom,quake and halflife types?

PC Gamer also had this to say in the "Scoops" section: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Combat Mission 2:

The best World War II turn-based strategy game ever gets a sequel facelift. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I think a chill pill may be in order here. I didn't find your list of "top 50", but was this by vote? By sales (guess not, as they wouldn't know BTS numbers)? Editor's choice?

In any case, it's quite remarkable that CM made the list at all. How many of the other games are internet sales only, with no budget for print ads? How many of the others are in slick, holographic packaging, propped in end cap displays in the world's busiest retail chains?

It is heartening to see sheer quality take its place amid all that merchandising. And I would go easy on PC Gamer... there are few more dedicated Combat Missionaries than me, but we don't do ourselves or BTS any favors by slamming those who choose to recognize our little niche.

What you are really seeing is a reflection of the game-buying public's demographics and taste, and I am long past attributing the fall of the west to tastes and fads in PC games, or pop music for that matter. A dollar spent on Beavis and Butthead isn't a dollar taken away from CM.

PC Gamer also had this to say in the "Scoops" section: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Combat Mission 2:

The best World War II turn-based strategy game ever gets a sequel facelift. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I think a chill pill may be in order here. I didn't find your list of "top 50", but was this by vote? By sales (guess not, as they wouldn't know BTS numbers)? Editor's choice?

In any case, it's quite remarkable that CM made the list at all. How many of the other games are internet sales only, with no budget for print ads? How many of the others are in slick, holographic packaging, propped in end cap displays in the world's busiest retail chains?

It is heartening to see sheer quality take its place amid all that merchandising. And I would go easy on PC Gamer... there are few more dedicated Combat Missionaries than me, but we don't do ourselves or BTS any favors by slamming those who choose to recognize our little niche.

What you are really seeing is a reflection of the game-buying public's demographics and taste, and I am long past attributing the fall of the west to tastes and fads in PC games, or pop music for that matter. A dollar spent on Beavis and Butthead isn't a dollar taken away from CM.

I am upset that Tribes 1 and 2 are lumped together. And Tribes 1 should be higher IMHO. It was the first out door FPS, multiplayer, team oriented game. It was really revolutionary IMHO.

Half-Life at #1 makes complete sense. That game was and still is a masterpiece. The one player sideof it is still awesome to this day.

CM making #50 is a good job.

Gen

I am upset that Tribes 1 and 2 are lumped together. And Tribes 1 should be higher IMHO. It was the first out door FPS, multiplayer, team oriented game. It was really revolutionary IMHO.

Half-Life at #1 makes complete sense. That game was and still is a masterpiece. The one player sideof it is still awesome to this day.

CM making #50 is a good job.

Gen

if you look at it from a marketing standpoint, BTS couldn't have WISHED for anyhting better.

It is 50 best Computer Games, not wargames, and the fact that Combat Mission made it is astonishing and wonderful. Wargames are MAYBE 2-3% of the computer industry, and magazines have been very accomodating in having "hard-core" editors and columnists of that genre. And for Combat Mission, much of the industry treats it as a "darling product". It is so sweet and so good, and a damn shame that so few people play wagames. That is how I imagine this game is treated by most industry people.

And that isn't even accounting for the "rebel company" without a major label, selling over the internet. If the ad-rich computer industry is like the Dark Side, then Combat Mission is like Luke Skywalker. No! Han Solo, yeah, that's it...

But, back to my point, number 50 is probably the 3rd or 4th best place to be. I mean everyone looks to see who's at the end, but who tears through the list to see number 38?

if you look at it from a marketing standpoint, BTS couldn't have WISHED for anyhting better.

It is 50 best Computer Games, not wargames, and the fact that Combat Mission made it is astonishing and wonderful. Wargames are MAYBE 2-3% of the computer industry, and magazines have been very accomodating in having "hard-core" editors and columnists of that genre. And for Combat Mission, much of the industry treats it as a "darling product". It is so sweet and so good, and a damn shame that so few people play wagames. That is how I imagine this game is treated by most industry people.

And that isn't even accounting for the "rebel company" without a major label, selling over the internet. If the ad-rich computer industry is like the Dark Side, then Combat Mission is like Luke Skywalker. No! Han Solo, yeah, that's it...

But, back to my point, number 50 is probably the 3rd or 4th best place to be. I mean everyone looks to see who's at the end, but who tears through the list to see number 38?

Remember that this is a list of games. What's the average age of a gamer? And what type of games are popular at that age?

CM is a niche game (focus on reality) within a niche genre (war games). I'm surprised it made it. Impressing. Also, I think a lot of persons here would like to call CM something else than a game. My definition of playing a game is to kill time while my brain rests. CM is more like a hobby.

Remember that this is a list of games. What's the average age of a gamer? And what type of games are popular at that age?

CM is a niche game (focus on reality) within a niche genre (war games). I'm surprised it made it. Impressing. Also, I think a lot of persons here would like to call CM something else than a game. My definition of playing a game is to kill time while my brain rests. CM is more like a hobby.

I'd say #50 is a good, humble spot in the top 50 computer games EVER made. In case you forget, there have been a lot of computer games throughout the years, and CM is a newcomer to the fold. I agree that some of the games on there are rather blahh, for lack of a better term, but I'm not upset about it.

I'd say #50 is a good, humble spot in the top 50 computer games EVER made. In case you forget, there have been a lot of computer games throughout the years, and CM is a newcomer to the fold. I agree that some of the games on there are rather blahh, for lack of a better term, but I'm not upset about it.

I'll have to agree with others on this list: #50 is a fantastic rating for a niche-oriented game like CM. Wargamers only make up a small percentage of the general population. Many of the wargamers I know personally are not computer-centric enough to want to trade in their dice and chits for a CD-ROM. Add in the fact that nearly all CM players are firmly in the post-pubescent category (aka "not most games' target demographic") and #50 is pretty amazing.

I'll have to agree with others on this list: #50 is a fantastic rating for a niche-oriented game like CM. Wargamers only make up a small percentage of the general population. Many of the wargamers I know personally are not computer-centric enough to want to trade in their dice and chits for a CD-ROM. Add in the fact that nearly all CM players are firmly in the post-pubescent category (aka "not most games' target demographic") and #50 is pretty amazing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triumvir:

As for Halflife, if you're doubting the power of a game that is still being played 3 whole years after release, and shows no sign of stopping, you're not that familiar with the gaming industry.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then by that recognition, Falcon 4.0 and European Air War would definately be on that list.

PC Gamer was originally heavily into the FPS, so it stands to reason that those types of games would be on their list. If THE WARGAMER site put out a top 50 list it would be totally different. Although having CM in a popular magazine like PC Gamer means another villa in Belize for Steve and Charles, with a guest room for Matt and Kwazy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triumvir:

As for Halflife, if you're doubting the power of a game that is still being played 3 whole years after release, and shows no sign of stopping, you're not that familiar with the gaming industry.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then by that recognition, Falcon 4.0 and European Air War would definately be on that list.

PC Gamer was originally heavily into the FPS, so it stands to reason that those types of games would be on their list. If THE WARGAMER site put out a top 50 list it would be totally different. Although having CM in a popular magazine like PC Gamer means another villa in Belize for Steve and Charles, with a guest room for Matt and Kwazy.

Well, all my all time favorites are on the list. I have to say that the X-Com series was probably the best I ever played. Combat Mission, Falcon 4, Pacific Airwar and the Baldur's Gate Series coming in close seconds. Falcon 4 is still my favorite combat flight sim. The user groups have added a bunch of cool stuff to Falcon 4 since it's release. I didn't see Railroad Tycoon on the list. That surprises me. (Maybe I'm blind too.)

Well, all my all time favorites are on the list. I have to say that the X-Com series was probably the best I ever played. Combat Mission, Falcon 4, Pacific Airwar and the Baldur's Gate Series coming in close seconds. Falcon 4 is still my favorite combat flight sim. The user groups have added a bunch of cool stuff to Falcon 4 since it's release. I didn't see Railroad Tycoon on the list. That surprises me. (Maybe I'm blind too.)