Tank will only fire smoke? anyone else seen this?

Title about sums it up.

Situation. In a quick battle I have a stug with one crew casualty. (he never fired before he suffered the crew hit)

Now since then I had him target some infantry in the woods.... fired 3 or 4 rounds of smoke.

I figured I had just made a mistake and marked it down as stupidity.

Now this last turn I targeted some infantry in a building, being careful (didn't want to make the same mistake). What happens? You guessed it. He decides to shoot 3 rounds of smoke at the building.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? I have one other now dead stug( he was full crew and he did fire correctly).

So could it be tied into losing the crew member? Maybe the loader got hit, and the driver/TC don't know how to tell the shells apart?

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Title about sums it up.

Situation. In a quick battle I have a stug with one crew casualty. (he never fired before he suffered the crew hit)

Now since then I had him target some infantry in the woods.... fired 3 or 4 rounds of smoke.

Now this last turn I targeted some infantry in a building, being careful (didn't want to make the same mistake). What happens? You guessed it. He decides to shoot 3 rounds of smoke at the building.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? I have one other now dead stug( he was full crew and he did fire correctly).

So could it be tied into losing the crew member? Maybe the loader got hit, and the driver/TC don't know how to tell the shells apart?

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

I have had this happen where a Jumbo came rolling up the center of the map on a road, while the infantry were coming up the right side of the map. There was a MG bunker that the Jumbo had a clear shot on. So he filled it full of smoke. I hate it when they put a Greenpeace volunteer as the loader... Guess after each time the gunner fired the loader would yell up, "My bad, I think this is an HE round. There... try that..."

stimpy

I have had this happen where a Jumbo came rolling up the center of the map on a road, while the infantry were coming up the right side of the map. There was a MG bunker that the Jumbo had a clear shot on. So he filled it full of smoke. I hate it when they put a Greenpeace volunteer as the loader... Guess after each time the gunner fired the loader would yell up, "My bad, I think this is an HE round. There... try that..."

stimpy

I think this behavior was first seen in the first beta patch v1.1b16. It was later then fixed with v1.1b22. But the AI logic in doing this is that tanks will do this when they think that have a slim chance in damaging the target and when the target seems to be threatening other friendly units, such a target like a MG bunker.

I think this behavior was first seen in the first beta patch v1.1b16. It was later then fixed with v1.1b22. But the AI logic in doing this is that tanks will do this when they think that have a slim chance in damaging the target and when the target seems to be threatening other friendly units, such a target like a MG bunker.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

Title about sums it up.

Lorak

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've been noticing this quite a lot

lately. It's a real pain if you order the

tank to fire HE to suppress or knock out

a gun that is busy pounding the hell out

of your infantry, and instead it fires

smoke, which doesn't even block the gun's

LOS to the guys its murdering. You sit there

a whole turn trying to think of some

cute, war-is-hell, rationalizion of the

quirky tac AI, like, 'they think the

gun will turn and shoot at them, so they

want some smoke; they're peeing in their pants, that's the way war is, etc...'.

That's a really unforgivable error actually

since they have the drop on the gun, and

could knock it out. Instead, they protect

the gun for several turns, leaving it

with its nice juicy infantry target AND

a flank-protecting smokescreen.

regards,

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

Title about sums it up.

Lorak

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've been noticing this quite a lot

lately. It's a real pain if you order the

tank to fire HE to suppress or knock out

a gun that is busy pounding the hell out

of your infantry, and instead it fires

smoke, which doesn't even block the gun's

LOS to the guys its murdering. You sit there

a whole turn trying to think of some

cute, war-is-hell, rationalizion of the

quirky tac AI, like, 'they think the

gun will turn and shoot at them, so they

want some smoke; they're peeing in their pants, that's the way war is, etc...'.

That's a really unforgivable error actually

since they have the drop on the gun, and

could knock it out. Instead, they protect

the gun for several turns, leaving it

with its nice juicy infantry target AND

a flank-protecting smokescreen.

regards,

--Rett

Had it also happen with mortars yesterday. Pretty frustrating, since I was trying to save the DARN SMOKE FOR THE ASSAULT YOU STOOPID MORTAMEN!!!

On the other hand, in the same game (mission 1 of the excellent Patrick Ware "Any port after the storm" campaign), one of my AFVs fired smoke at infantry in the woods, which was a pretty good tactic as it happened just before da assault, mind you...

Got to love the game... smile.gif

Had it also happen with mortars yesterday. Pretty frustrating, since I was trying to save the DARN SMOKE FOR THE ASSAULT YOU STOOPID MORTAMEN!!!

On the other hand, in the same game (mission 1 of the excellent Patrick Ware "Any port after the storm" campaign), one of my AFVs fired smoke at infantry in the woods, which was a pretty good tactic as it happened just before da assault, mind you...

Got to love the game... smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U8led:

Only work around I have found is to waste all smoke rounds somewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's an idea! biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U8led:

Only work around I have found is to waste all smoke rounds somewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's an idea! biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Guest Madmatt

The smoke logic is based on two main points.

#1 HE is is not having much of an effect on the target

and

#2 The target is actively engaging another friendly unit.

Many people come back with the same argument that "Had the Ai followed my HE order it would have killed the target", well the TacAi will sometimes disagree with that assesment since it sees that the HE wasn't doing enough (or any) damage. In that case it tries to help out a friendly unit by smoking in the threat.

Keep that logic in mind when you see smoke being used. It's not always perfect but than neither is war.

Madmatt