Get your Swastika's here

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JacMac:

It annoys me when history is sanitized. I'm no artist, but here are a few unimportant graphic files:

Politically Uncorrect

JacMac<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It annoys me when history is sanitized too. If you are old enough or smart enough to ask the questions, you should be old enough or smart enough to hear the answers.

BUT, there are plenty of reasons why people might want to develop a game without swastikas -- such as, without them it can be sold in Germany legally-- and plenty of reasons why people might not want to see swastikas in their homes.

I'm glad people have the choice, I suppose, but a little surprised that a simple exercise in computer graphics is portrayed as blow in the battle against "political correctness."

Opening a big can of worms here perhaps, but what does Political Correctness or your struggle against it have to do with Combat Mission?

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

Guest Babra

If you like it, that's fine (I also hate sanitized history and downloaded a set over a year ago -- more as a reminder of what I'm playing with than anything), but as Terence says, there are valid reasons they are not there to begin with.

Go easy on BTS. They done right to leave them out.

History sanitized? Yeah, now that you mention it, there are no corpses, no blood, no mass graves and even no single lavatory in the game! Well maybe they use their helmets for that purpose, dunno. And the reason why there are no dead bodies, is that in 1940's there were helluva hordes of rats and other hampsters in Europe, and when someone died, well you probably have seen what happens to Kenny in South Park the second after he's KO.

But I hear they are going to remove all communist symbols from CM2 and rename "Iosif Stalin" tanks as "Super KV" tanks so they wouldn't offend anyone whose family members were killed by Stalin's purges.

Political correctness is also the only reason why there are no field priests in CM (they might offend someone if they didn't include every single branch of Christianity, Judaism, Atheism, plus Islam for the Free French), field bordels (they might offend sexual minorities) and why there will be no Italian army in CM3 (they might offend Italians).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergei:

Political correctness is also the only reason why there are no field priests in CM (they might offend someone if they didn't include every single branch of Christianity, Judaism, Atheism, plus Islam for the Free French), field bordels (they might offend sexual minorities) and why there will be no Italian army in CM3 (they might offend Italians).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As an atheist Jew I am offended that you think Atheism is a religion. I shall complain to the management.

While we're on the subject of mods, and swastikas, however, I hypocritically downloaded all of Gunslinger's subdued terrain mods, which I think are fantastic.

Full marks, old bean.

However, they include a small and large swastika as the spotting icon for german troops and vehicles.

I object to this, not because I have any wish to "sanitize" history -- a subject that all by itself stoutly resists every effort to sanitize it without anyone's help -- but because I have a rather lousy monitor, and the new swastika that replaced the standard Unit Spotted icon that came with the game pixellates rather badly at anything but short distances.

Not gunslinger's fault at all, but mine for being too cheap to buy a new monitor.

Can anyone tell me what .bmp this spotting icon is, so I can replace it with the original from the CD? I looked at the .bmp list on combat-missions.net but this list was of no help.

TIA

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> ...Political correctness is also the only reason why there are no field priests in CM ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, orders phase, what to do what to do. Ah yes, I will run my chaplain up to the tree line to give last rights to that FO about to get it by the faithless flamethrower team!

Sergie you appear to be a loose cannon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

Hi MOM, HI Steve, Hi Mr. Rogers..

I love making debuts in dead threads and endangered Forum users.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, I post in them just for you.

But I hope that someone answers my question before this gets locked up.

I understand the Swastika is illegal in Germany, but I don't really care. I don't think most Germans care either. I certainly don't blame the developers for not putting them in the game, and I'm rather grateful that it can be easily modified. Maybe a few others are too. People seem to make a big deal out of the Swastika without knowing the full history of it's origin and true meaning. Believe me Nazism and Hitler had little to do with it, they simply adopted it and gave it a bad reputation. In any case, if the symbols Germany had used were a dove or olive branch, I would have tried to emulate those. They are just images, people give them meaning by their thought and action.

JacMac

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: JacMac ]

I understand the Swastika is illegal in Germany, but I don't really care. I don't think most Germans care either. I certainly don't blame the developers for not putting them in the game, and I'm rather grateful that it can be easily modified. Maybe a few others are too. People seem to make a big deal out of the Swastika without knowing the full history of it's origin and true meaning. Believe me Nazism and Hitler had little to do with it, they simply adopted it and gave it a bad reputation. In any case, if the symbols Germany had used were a dove or olive branch, I would have tried to emulate those. They are just images, people give them meaning by their thought and action.

JacMac

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to say two things: 1) semioticians appear in the damndest places

and

2) Thanks, PL. I'll go look for it, if only so I can find out what .bmp # it is so I can reinstall the original, which I liked.

JacMac

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: JacMac ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, you would be willing to wear an image of a large pecker on your shirt, since images are given meaning by actions and no one would take it the wrong way? What about the gay symbol (pink triangle and rainbow). Both are images much older than their current popular culture meanings. Would you adorn your lunch box with one and place them on your car?

Let me also ask when was the last time you wiped your bum with a US flag (or the flag of your own nationality). It is, afterall, just a meaningless symbol. I think I might be able to track down some US flag toilet paper if you like. I will send it, free of charge, for your use.

Symbols are subject, mutating all the time, and falling into and out of favor as new meanings are attached to them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I'll take an order for the flag TP!

Also, your "gay symbol" bit was a bit confusing. The triangle and the rainbow are two distinctly different things. One was forced by an oppressive regime and the other was a self-adopted display of 'pride'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting to note that the pink triangle, has now also become a symbol of pride, Dr. Evil.

The colonized often adopt the symbols of the colonizer and in turn, begin their own symbolic dialogue. In this way, the powerless become powerful.