"Wild Bill's Rumblings Of War"- A Tournament

Here I come again to ask a question.

So after all the formulating is done and the "three wise men" are selected how is the final done. I would assume that they would play the other 2 in one battle each. Would they same scoring system be used? If so, could you use the median again with such a small sample to work with? Or, would the final scenarios be "balanced" so that the scoring system would not be needed? I know that the finals are "way in the future", but perhaps this is the time to discuss and address this.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treeburst - Let me clarify my position:

In some situations (even) the knowledge of median scores of a scenario can/will affect the tactics players will use when starting the scenario. That puts players that start scenarious _late_ in the tournament in different position than those that started "totally blind" early. I think this tournament should avoid that. Thus total blackout would be preferred.

However, if possible at all, the players could be given the end scores for those scenarios they have already finished. Of course, WBW, WineCape and others that contribute to tournament but are not participating as players should receive all the scores all the time.

Tabpub,

How we are going to handle the 3 way playoff series is still way up in the air. I don't know what scenarios, or even what type of scenarios to use yet. I agree determining the median from such a small sample is probably not the best way to go. The scoring of the finals should probably be more conventional.

I'm open to any and all suggestions concerning every aspect of the playoffs. I really haven't spent a great deal of time thinking about the playoffs yet.

JPS,

I'll switch your vote to "no information" which tilts the tally to 6-5 AGAINST information on completed battles. Giving players scores of scenarios they've already completed is labor intensive, just like giving AARs to players as they finish a scenario. I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't have the time to do all that. The AARs in all their glory will be made available at the end of the regular "season" before the playoffs begin. Battle outcome info would just have to be a post to this thread or a website update.

OK, we're 6-5 in favor of complete information blackout. Cast your votes!

EDIT: How about this idea? Once per week I would publish players' total raw CM points achieved so far. You would know who has the most CM points on record but you wouldn't know how many games are represented by those points or which scenarios he earned the points on. This would be just teaser information, really. Just a thought.

Treeburst155 out.

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

I never discussed how AARs will count towards your score with the new scoring system. That's because I haven't decided how to work that yet. Rest assured all AARs are being entered on my spreadsheet. I'll be discussing the scoring of AARs with Nabla.

I want them to help a player out, but not win the tournament for him unless two players are fairly close before applying AAR points. I do know that AAR points will not figure into the median. They will be in the form of tourney points tacked on after your CM score has been run through the formula.

Treeburst155 out.

However they are scored, let me tell you from the few I have read that are fantastically done. Excellent wriring in great detail that make the battle certainly come alive.

What has impressed me most is the great attitude, win or lose. No crying here! They faced their fate like men, went to war and gave it their best. You can't ask for more than that!

To those participating in this campaign, I congratulate you not only for your gaming skills but for your maturity. A great quality. It's easy to know how to win. It takes a good man to know how to lose.

Impressive!

Wild Bill

Regarding info blackout: I vote for it. As JPS says, even knowing the median score is likely to be of advantage to those who play late. For instance if I go into a scenario knowing the median score for the German defender of 10 games played is 20, I am going to play my defense a lot more cautiously than I would play if I knew the median was 50.

Playing scenarios like this totally blind is, IMO, probably the coolest part about this tourney!

Regarding the playoffs -- three is an unwieldy number... I might suggest that you make it four by throwing in a wildcard. Then a straight single-elimination playoff would require two scenarios. The wildcard should be the highest scoring player of the second-place players.

Alternatively, have everyone play everyone else, twice. Again it requires two scenarios. This way has the advantage of getting more games played, 8 instead of 3, but the disadvantage of having to use a scoring system of some sort to pick the winner.

I like the Wildcard idea!! The Wildcard player would play the section winner with the best score. The two playoff games would use the same scenario. The winners move on to the final championship game with a new scenario. I think any game categorized by CM as a "draw" should be replayed using yet another scenario. I'll be thinking about the playoffs seriously in the next couple weeks. I have plenty of time.

I'm putting Wreck down for no battle result information. That makes it 7-5 AGAINST battle results info.

I kinda like the idea of giving fairly worthless info out like total CM points earned to date by the players. This info is virtually useless IMO. You know who scored the most CM points so far but you don't know what scenarios/sides they played, how many tourney points result from the raw CM points, or even how many games are reflected in the point total. Anyway, right now we're 7-5 in favor of total blackout.

Treeburst155 out.

I reluctantly agree that we should have info black out. Now that the scoring system is in place, we can't really figure out our standings anyway until all the games are finished. So the only real result of posting game results as they happen would be to lift the fog war somewhat, as Wreck points out above. It's too bad, because I would have liked to see the horse-race as it happens...

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Peter Svensson ]