"Wild Bill's Rumblings Of War"- A Tournament

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentleman, some important notes. Listen up. If you snooze, you loseā€¦ ,

Since I have not heard from Treeburst155 in this regard, below is a list of known applications for Wild Bill's Rumblings of War tourney that I have received from Mike on my harddrive. Mike mentioned +/- 65 applicants - I have received only 26.

The remaining applications must have been lost while being transferred from Mike to me. Blame it on an imperfect internet or Larry Ellison's routers.

Yes, I'm now in charge of selecting the happy few, Treeburst delegating this procedure to me. I cannot get hold of Treeburst (or his back-up application copies) of all the applications that were originally send to him.

Therefor, if you name is NOT below on my recorded application list, please

(a) re-send your application immediately to me: My Email = WineCape@global.co.za

(B) mark your application letter as "TOURNAMENT APPLICATION" in the subject line of your email program.

The application deadline = 24 August. The lucky participants will be announced 1 Sept. The list of applications I have confirmed...

1. <LI> "Greg Redeker " <redeker@maxinet.com>
    <LI> "Leonard Dickens" <leonard@dc.net>
    <LI> "Jon Sowden" <J.Sowden@ucol.ac.nz>
    <LI> "chuck rohde" <chucknsue@yahoo.com>
    <LI> "Stix" <stix243@fan.net.au>
    <LI> "Wade Moore" <wadepm@ce.mediaone.net>
    <LI> "Tom" TGHCGN@aol.com
    <LI> "Jason Barnes" <jbarnes7@kc.rr.com>
    <LI> "everett thiele" <rett@telia.com>
    <LI> "Jukka-Pekka Salmenkaita" <jsalmenk@pp.htv.fi>
    <LI> "Tony Zalewski" <tonyzal@umahexagon.com>
    <LI> "Kingfish <SC112565@aol.com>
    <LI> "Warren Miron" <k.lan@roadrunner.nf.net>
    <LI> "Thomas Travisano" <ttravisano@stny.rr.com>
    <LI> "Steve Dixon" <skdixon@mindspring.com>
    <LI> "Joe" <Joe@pandemonium64.freeserve.co.uk>
    <LI> "Brian Yeoh" <triumvir@yahoo.com>
    <LI> "Randall Sickbert" <sickbert@psci.net>
    <LI> "John Morse" <Jdmorse@home.com>
    <LI> "Urquhart, Michael" <Michael.Urquhart@dowjones.com>
    <LI> "Mike Campbell" <mikecampbell@paradise.net.nz>
    <LI> "Chris Campos" <ccampos@lplsystems.com>
    <LI> "Stefan Fredriksson" <stefan.fredrik@telia.com>
    <LI> "jK.MkIII" <Jari.Kujansuu@hut.fi>
    <LI> "Deke Fentle" <dekefentle@mn.mediaone.net>
    <LI> "ler che/White4 " <god_emperor_lerche@yahoo.com>
    <LI> Juardis, please re-send your application too as it seems that you are on the wagon againā€¦ ;)

Mike, if you have the back-up copies, let me know. Hopefully the applicants have not deleted their application letters.

Regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

The list again, this time with email addressesā€¦

1. <LI> "Greg Redeker " redeker@maxinet.com
    <LI> "Leonard Dickens" leonard@dc.net
    <LI> "Jon Sowden" J.Sowden@ucol.ac.nz
    <LI> "chuck rohde" chucknsue@yahoo.com
    <LI> "Stix" stix243@fan.net.au
    <LI> "Wade Moore" wadepm@ce.mediaone.net
    <LI> "Jason Barnes" jbarnes7@kc.rr.com
    <LI> "everett thiele" rett@telia.com
    <LI> "Jukka-Pekka Salmenkaita" jsalmenk@pp.htv.fi
    <LI> "Tony Zalewski" tonyzal@umahexagon.com
    <LI> "Kingfish SC112565@aol.com
    <LI> "Warren Miron" k.lan@roadrunner.nf.net
    <LI> "Thomas Travisano" ttravisano@stny.rr.com
    <LI> "Steve Dixon" skdixon@mindspring.com
    <LI> "Joe" Joe@pandemonium64.freeserve.co.uk
    <LI> "Brian Yeoh" triumvir@yahoo.com
    <LI> "Randall Sickbert" sickbert@psci.net
    <LI> "John Morse" Jdmorse@home.com
    <LI> "Urquhart, Michael" Michael.Urquhart@dowjones.com
    <LI> "Mike Campbell" mikecampbell@paradise.net.nz
    <LI> "Chris Campos" ccampos@lplsystems.com
    <LI> "Stefan Fredriksson" stefan.fredrik@telia.com
    <LI> "jK.MkIII" Jari.Kujansuu@hut.fi
    <LI> "Deke Fentle" dekefentle@mn.mediaone.net
    <LI> "ler che/White4 " god_emperor_lerche@yahoo.com

and Juardis have to re-send his application.

Don't worry Gentlemen. WineCape has everything correct. I confused him with my figures. I had 65+ REQUESTS for applications which I answered, but only the ones he listed above have come back completed so far. Everything is on track. No missing applications. If it made it to me then it made it to him.

Juardis-your application has been re-sent to WineCape.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Treeburst155,

If what you say is correct, then where am I on the list, please? Mine was one of, if not the earliest, applications requested and sent in. I say this because it contained specialized feedback for you on certain of the questions.

If you can't find it or don't remember, then please E-mail the application questions again and I'll send the answers off to WineCape. I got carried away during one of the off cycles and purged all my tourney files.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Just a reminder here. You have until this coming Friday to send in your completed application. That will give the very busy WineCape one week to wade through the applications. We will be posting the "winners" on September 1st. Unless I get a rush of last minute applications I'd say over half of you will get in. We'll be taking 24 people. They will play in 3 separate tournaments of 7 games each with some sort of play off at the end.

The tournament will begin when the scenarios meet Wild Bill's high standards, and not before. Two player testing is being conducted as we speak by several of Wild Bill's team of Raiders and their regular PBEM partners.

The reason for announcing tourney participants on September 1st is just so people can plan ahead, and so I can get my spreadsheets together, distribute Contact Lists to the players, and various other managerial tasks. Other than helping with the testing I can't do much until the "winners" are chosen by WineCape.

BTW, I've been corresponding with WineCape for awhile now and I feel certain he will make his choices based on the best applications and nothing else. If you're a lurker and you send in an excellent application you have just as much chance of getting into this tournament as a frequent poster to this forum. Thanks!

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Dear Wild Bill's Rumblings of War hopefuls,

The application deadline for the tourney is approaching gentleman -- 24 August. The 24 participants will be announced 1 Sept. The list of applications I have confirmed are below. If your name is not there and you have sent an application, please let me know ASAP.

Apply to Treeburst155 ( mikeman@cablelynx.com]mikeman@cablelynx.com ) for applications. The answers/replies should be send to me @ WineCape@global.co.za]WineCape@global.co.za .

Take care/effort in putting your answers on the application form, as you're being selected for this Tourney solely based on answers/replies given. The best applications will get the top 24 spots. Period. The list so farā€¦

<LI> "Kingfish SC112565@aol.com
    <LI> "ler che/White4 " god_emperor_lerche@yahoo.com
    <LI> "J&MAbbott" jabbott1@carolina.rr.com
    <LI> "Peter Svensson" petersve@speakeasy.org
    <LI> "Ted Sullivan" sullivantm@starpower.net
    <LI> "Enoch" nickel@softhome.net
    <LI> " von Lucke" blane2@flash.net
    <LI> ""Terence McLaughlan" terry@public.sta.net.cn
    <LI> "Surlyben" benhard@speakeasy.org
    <LI> "Marcus Bloess" mike8@mailcity.com
    <LI> "Rat" jensrat@hotmail.com
    <LI> John Kettler" kettler@relaypoint.net

BTW, just to refresh your memories, 10 points will be given/added to your match score for each fairly detailed AAR being supplied by you, zero if none is forthcoming (as stated earlier by Treeburst).

Wild Bill and his team are going full steam with the testing of these first-to-be-seen-historical scenarios. He'll let us know when he will be ready, most probably middle September.

What I've heard form the Wild One is that slow deaths for your pixel troops in these attack/defend scenario's will be a big no-no!

Expect a few curve balls in your clashesā€¦ :D

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bimmer:

I sent my completed application to both Treeburst155 and WineCape yesterday - any chance one of you guys could confirm receipt? I don't want to miss my chance to get in on this one. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it!

Closing time coming up Gentleman,

I'll lock applications early 9:00am (GMT+2) on the 25 Aug. That way I'll make sure that GMT-9 :rolleyes: hopefuls are not cut-off for entrance to Wild Bill's RoW Tourney.

I will also publish the list of all applications received tomorrow.

24 Participants will be chosen, 8 playing in 3 seperate sections a round robin of 7 matches each. The 3 section winners will square off against one another for the 1st price. I will also choose 3 standby players if one or more of the original 24 cannot finish any or part of their tourney games.

These 3 will be given an equal chance to take up (their own positions) if one/more of the 3-section participants' cannot fulfil their play duties. That is, I'll alot them each a number of 1-3, and will pull a number out of a hat to see which one or more will take the place of the defaulting participant(s).

That will give each standby player a 33% chance, a bigger chance obviously if more than 1 participant defaults for whatever reason.

Anouncement of the 24 + 3 standby players will be on 1 September 2001.

Good luck!

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

Dear Wild Bill's RoW participants to-be,

The application deadline has been reached. Below are all the applications received for consideration to decide which 24 (+ 3) players will participate in this Tourney. Announcement date = 1 September. The list below is in no particular order, btw. I will start grading the received applications in the coming week -- though I have done quite a bit of that already so far.

Sidenote on grading applications:

Treeburst, our Tourney Manager, had posed some question in the applications. The idea simply was to see what effort you are putting in your answers. The last question: Describing a WWII battle of any theatre that is the most interesting to you and tell us WHY it is so interesting to you" - is IMO, the one that counts at least 80-90% in the final grading; the last question also stating that you have to "give a few good paragraphs" to your reply. Some of you guys have done some beautiful detailed work (with *some* research work done!), especially with the last question. Others have only put in a single paragraph there. That was at your own perilā€¦

The questions posed were NOT to separate the ubergrogs from the uninformed. It was merely an indication to show your willingness to do some effort. WHY? Easy answer. Wild Bill and his lead testers are spending more than 100 man-hours in crafting/testing never-seen-before historical attack/defend scenario's for your enjoyment. At least we can honour/thank them for their effort by replying in kind.

Thanks then to Wild Bill, Ted Quincey, Keith Yeats, Bill Valencia, Jeff Smith, Leland Tankersley, Timothy Orosz et al for their work - and continued work. We are awaiting your handy work in eager anticipation. Pay attention to the pre-briefings of these scenarios; clues therein and "between-the-line" reading might save your bacon. Remember, this is attack/assault vs defend scenarios. *Use* your given advantage quickly/wisely, otherwise you might find yourself under a merciless counterattack.

OK, enough blabble. Here is the list of people that are itching to smash one another:

<LI> "Kingfish" SC112565@aol.com
    <LI> "ler che/White4" god_emperor_lerche@yahoo.com
    <LI> "J&MAbbott" jabbott1@carolina.rr.com
    <LI> "von Lucke" blane2@flash.net
    <LI> "Terence McLaughlan" terry@public.sta.net.cn
    <LI> "Surlyben" benhard@speakeasy.org
    <LI> "Marcus Bloess" mike8@mailcity.com
    <LI> "Rat" jensrat@hotmail.com
    <LI> "John Kettler" kettler@relaypoint.net
    <LI> "Craig Cummings" suntzu2k@bellsouth.net
    <LI> "Rob Davidson" TABPUB@aol.com
    <LI> "Holien" Holien@BTInternet.com
    <LI> "Bertram" BORedmeijer@home.nl
    <LI> "Andrej Gaspari" aeg@computer.net
    <LI> "Georges" georges@speakeasy.org
    <LI> "Scot Johnson" mPisi@flash.net
    <LI> "Juha Ahoniemi" juha.ahoniemi@mail.htk.fi
    <LI> "Laura Gardner" dgardne8@tampabay.rr.com -- Yup, we have a woman (maybe an unsuspecting wife!) in our midst! smile.gif
    <LI> "Ricochet" Tramos1@ademco.com

I thank all that responded with their applications to Wild Bill's RoW Tourney.

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

Gentleman,

I have just been informed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) that I will be out of my country during the days 28 Aug. --> 2 Sept. for officiating duties. I have anticipated this departure, and have graded the 24 top applications as well as the 3 standby players below.

Sorry to jump this gun, but rather put the names on the Forum now then after due date of September 1st. This will give the 24 participants some extra days to start winding down their current PBEM games so as to concentrate on this Tourney. I expect Wild Bill and his lead testers to be finished with their scenarios roundabout middle September. Wild Bill, and only he, can give us the go-ahead to start once he is sure that we have 8 polished scenarios in our hands. It might be that he needs more time or less. Treeburst will let all the participants know.

Now, without further ado, we present the 24 combatants (in 3 sections) for the WILD BILL RUMBLINGS of WAR Tourney ā€¦

SECTION I

1. <LI> "Warren Miron" k.lan@roadrunner.nf.net
    <LI> "Greg Redeker " redeker@maxinet.com
    <LI> "Scot Johnson" mPisi@flash.net
    <LI> "Bertram" BORedmeijer@home.nl

SECTION II

1. <LI> "Kingfish" SC112565@aol.com
    <LI> "John Kettler" kettler@relaypoint.net
    <LI> "von Lucke" blane2@flash.net
    <LI> "Georges" georges@speakeasy.org
    <LI> "Holien" Holien@BTInternet.com

SECTION III

1. <LI> "Tony Zalewski" tonyzal@umahexagon.com
    <LI> "Everett thiele" rett@telia.com
    <LI> "Chuck Rohde" chucknsue@yahoo.com
    <LI> "Juha Ahoniemi" juha.ahoniemi@mail.htk.fi
    <LI> "Andrej Gaspari" aeg@computer.net
    <LI> "Rob Davidson" TABPUB@aol.com

The 3 STANDBY PLAYERS -- these 3 will each have a 33% chance (or greater) of entering the RoW Tourney if 1/more of the above 24 players default for whatever reason.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "Jason Barnes" jbarnes7@kc.rr.com

<LI> "Terence McLaughlan" terry@public.sta.net.cn

Treeburst, the combatants above are now in your capable hands.

Kind regards (and good luck!) from a sunny Cape,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

Fellow Tourney opponents,

A couple of quick suggestions to help get the ball rolling and make sure she runs smooth:

1) Take advantage of the extra time weā€™ve been given by e-mailing your section opponents and work out any rules or parameters. Thanks to Wild Bill and co. we donā€™t have to worry about force purchases. Nowā€™s the time to state your position on jeep rushes, AT scouts, edge creep, etc. This would also be a good time to work out scheduling. Let your opponents know you canā€™t do Mondays, but weekends are good for TCP/IP.

2) Please, please, pleaseā€¦avoid spoiler info at all times. This should include not only posting on the BBS but e-mails describing other games as well. I donā€™t want to know you toasted 3 Panthers in scenario XYZ. Let me find out about the three Panthers on my own when I play XYZ. Any AAR should be sent directly to Treeburst155.

That's it for now. Thanks for your time.

Dang. Any chance of a second (third, fourth) version of this tourney starting up with the left out people? Bearing in mind that it would start up later, perhaps with slightly modified scenarios based on the first tourney's results, etc...