Concrete bunker mod part 2

Hey now, now that looks good. Although it's a bit too mossy, in my opinion. Meaning that it looks like what a concrete bunker would look like today, rather than what it would look like back in the '40s

Where's the winter version?

Keep the same look, you could add snow hanging off of the vegetation, or make them leafless.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Cubbies Phan ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

Hey now, now that looks good. Although it's a bit too mossy, in my opinion. Meaning that it looks like what a concrete bunker would look like today, rather than what it would look like back in the '40s

Where's the winter version?

Keep the same look, you could add snow hanging off of the vegetation, or make them leafless.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Cubbies Phan ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't they have moss back in the '40s?

:confused:

The mossy color blends in with the terrain better serving as camouflage. I'll probably remove it and the foliage when I get around to doing the winter version.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Didn't they have moss back in the '40s?

:confused:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah, but what I meant was that a concrete bunker would have been recently built back during the war would not have been around long enough to become mossy. Get my drift?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The mossy color blends in with the terrain better serving as camouflage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Granted it probably does. So I guess do whatever you want then.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

Well yeah, but what I meant was that a concrete bunker would have been recently built back during the war would not have been around long enough to become mossy. Get my drift?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that does make sense, but if it's damp enough, it wouldn't take too long. That reminds me, time to clean my shower.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

I don't know I think it's about perfect as is right now. I really like the color and like you say it'll look extremely good against the landscape. Excellent job Tanks a lot. I'll certainly use it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks again Lee.

I reduced the level of "mossyness" by about 25%. Nothing major but I think it's ready to go now.

This, I swear, is my last suggestion: To really make that bevelled edge pop (that's desiger talk) then darken the top bevelled edge in relation to the two side bevels. If your light source is above, like say- the sun, then the top bevelled edge would be the most in shadow. But that's all mouse nuts (as a former design boss used to tell me). It looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

Tanks a Lot,

You've made considerable progress, but you're not there yet. Let me try a crude graphic to illustrate the concept I'm trying to convey.

Embrasure (side view) Not to scale

*= (MG or cannon here)

_________________________*____________________

The sides of the embrasure are also stairstepped, only laterally this time.

The screens should be on the outside, the idea being to keep grenades away from the embrasure

altogether. The mesh can be considerably larger, say, four to six inch squares or thereabouts. This keeps grenades out but facilitates aiming by the occupants.

Is there any way for you to paint a ventilator on the roof? Where is the door handle? We're talking about an armored door here. It's heavy. Is there any way to radius or maybe slightly blur all those hard primary corners in the basic structure's design?

I think you're going to have a marvelous looking fortification mod when you get done. I'm simply trying to help you flesh out a great basic concept.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

The screens should be on the outside, the idea being to keep grenades away from the embrasure

altogether. The mesh can be considerably larger, say, four to six inch squares or thereabouts. This keeps grenades out but facilitates aiming by the occupants.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this commonly done in WW II? Chain link fencing wasn't all that common in Europe - where would the mesh come from? Would look great on an Israeli bus, on the other hand...

I agree that the top bevel would look super if it were darker.

Thanks Rommel22. I made a few more changes after reading John Kettler's suggestions. I added a door handle to the rear door. Moved the screen farther out and made it a larger mesh. I made the firing slit much more simple to avoid problems. I can't really add a ventilator to the roof because there is no separate roof texture. Part of the side is stretched to make the roof. That also makes blurring the edges not look correct. Does this look better than before?

front.jpg

back.jpg

Tanks A lot

The concrete Bunker looks great! The slight "mossing" effect is excellent. Being a civil engineer I look at a lot of concrete structures and you have captured the effect perfectly. It is amazing how quickly moss will discolor concrete.

I also like the added anti-grenade wire\cammo-net\mesh. Very nice detailing. I recall reading that the Marines in South Korea used chicken wire over weapon slits to keep grenades out…I dunno how common chicken wire was in S. Korea in the 1950's, but there seemed to be enough for the Marines to use in their bunkers. I reckon cammo netting could have been used to achieve the same effect.

I'm changing my bunker bmps tonight when I get home. Thanks Tanks.

So did Brens have tripods or not? ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Thanks Jeff,

I'll probably send it to The Last Defense Link when I'm done. The anti-grenade screen was John's idea and reducing the amount of moss was Cubbies Phan's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that looks better. Now it looks like the bunker would look in the 1950s, LOL! Just kidding!

For the record, I never said word one about chain link fence. I did talk about wire mesh, of which I'm familiar with two main types in this sort of application. There's the gridded stuff I described and the much smaller hexagonal stuff so fine it'll even keep baby chicks from escaping.

Tanks a Lot, the fortification's looking good. I roger your technical problems and congratulate you on the door handles and the antigrenade screening, also for getting rid of the embrasure beveling completely. What are my chances of getting the stairstepping (narrowing rectangular funnel with square edges) around the embrasure?

Regards,

John Kettler

Tanks a Lot,

Now we're making progress! What you need to do next is deepen the embrasure and use light and shadow to increase the visual contrast. As someone else suggested, you need to figure out where your presumed light source will be (alas, no dynamic lighting anytime soon) and position your shadows accordingly. The only way to have the light hit the embrasure the way you have it now is for the fortification to point due east and for it to be sunrise.

As for the propaganda poster, I personally have never seen photos of one on the outside of a fortification. I have real doubts about getting the thing to stick to rough concrete in the first place, and it would weather rapidly (deteriorate badly) even if it could be made to stay up. Personally, I'd suggest a painted slogan. Alternatively, try the door. The German speaking grogs here can no doubt help with suitable phrases.

I congratulate you on a tremendous piece of evolving work and on your willingness to listen to those trying to help you. Whoever hosts your mod will have a busy server. I know when people see your mod, they'll want it. They already want it!

Regards,

John Kettler