Arty vs Pillboxs

I have only taken out Cement Pillboxes VIA the "backdoor" Just recently tried to pound a cement Box with some 4.2 or 4.5 (I forget what the Amis have.) Anyways will that size arty take out a pillbox or is it rather rare. If not what size arty will?

Also I targeted the PB with my Priest and it has 105mm and said kill rare. So give me some pill box kill info besides the back door. (Stupid LOS I never intened to get my Priest that close!!)

:confused:

In one of my last battles, I destroyed one wooden pillbox with 105mm artillery while three others survived the same treatment.

It was surprisingly easy to take out one of the surviving pillbox by close assaulting it through a 81mm smoke mortar barrage.

As a sidenote, it took 10 bazooka rounds to knock out another wooden pillbox from the rear at 15 meters distance. This I consider unrealistic.

These are just the results from one battle. I do not think I will waste artillery on pillboxes again.

Regards, Thomm

Via the back door is the best option.

TD's do the best job from a distance in my opinion.

They are not easy to knock out though. If possible just keep them under smoke and assult them from behind. Don't waste artillery trying to knock them out.

In CM2, I'm hoping that one of a squillion swarms of Ivans will be enough to take out any pillbox of any description. The pillbox will suddenly change in colour from light green to a dirty yellow brown colour, and you'll know that enough desperate Ivans have swarmed all over you, and no matter how obsolete and dodgy their equipment, one of them will have what it takes to tell you that "the war is over".

In CM2, I'm hoping that one of a squillion swarms of Ivans will be enough to take out any pillbox of any description. The pillbox will suddenly change in colour from light green to a dirty yellow brown colour, and you'll know that enough desperate Ivans have swarmed all over you, and no matter how obsolete and dodgy their equipment, one of them will have what it takes to tell you that "the war is over".

On the original question. In my observation, it takes a direct hit by at least 105mm arty shell to knock out a bunker. Which happens quite rarely. If you spend a 100 rounds on a single bunker, there seems to be less than 50:50 chance to destroy it. It is historically correct, too. It took several hundred shells to KO a pillbox in WWII.

So, you have to either flank it, or close assault it (smoke helps a lot). Or, if you are short of time, put three AFVs with at least 75 mm gun on the firing line line, and trade one or two for the thing.

[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: Skipper ]

Yeah, I've seen Stuarts take out concrete AT bunker too, with great regularity. That 37mm is a veritable sniper rifle <g>.

Pillboxes were built to defend against, um, artillery fire, mostly. So it's not terribly surprising that artillery is crappy in taking them out tongue.gif

I did a search on this before (I can't remember the specific source, but for some reason I took it as authoritative) and the answer was that NO SIZE artillery can take out concrete pillboxes, direct hit, collateral damage, blah, blah, period. I have experience attempting to do this, with at least two direct hits, in a scenario named "Grandcamp" using a 14" Navy gun and the concrete pillbox survived. Of course, my single experience doesn't prove that it can't happen, but combined with my, somewhat vague, memory of the discussion on this, I personally am accepting this as fact.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Mayer:

That 37mm is a veritable sniper rifle <g>.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

37mm's are great for taking out bunkers at almost any range! High ROF, accurate, and whatever is employing the 37mm gun has too much ammo for its own good! :D

Of course flamethrowers are nice on them too :D

Have to remember to keep the Stuarts in front of the box and fire. Had two of them flank on a concret pillbox and it took around 20 rounds to take it out. Must of gone like this...

Hans: Who's that knocking on the back door.

Fritz: I don't know you go check it this time.

Hans: OK (opens door)

37mm: Thanks (bang)

You can take out concrete pill boxes with Arty but it has to be the big stuff and actually hit. I've done it, on the scenario where the American Airborne go after the Eagles Nest or whatever, I can't remember the name but it was a good one. I was using the 200mm stuff and knocked out two but it took more than a few rounds.