OT: Highest Ranking US Officer KIA in WW2

Hi guys,

I just finished reading Joseph Alexander's <u>Storm Landings</u> (good book IMHO) and during the analysis of the Okinawa campaign, he states that General Buckner was the highest ranking US officer KIA. Prior to this I thought most sources said that General McNair was the highest ranking officer KIA, or was that just in the ETO?

LimShady

[This message has been edited by LimShady (edited 02-18-2001).]

Well, McNair died due to "friendly fire" so perhaps that's what they were implying with the comment about Buckner being the highest-ranking killed by "hostile fire."

Only a lawyer could call it "friendly fire," methinks...

BTW I remember reading that McNair was so busted up by the AAF bomb that hit near him that they had to ID him by his watch or something similar.

I haven't personally observed many friendly fire casualties in CM, does anyone have any tales to tell about this phenomenon? Some estimates for WW2 friendly fire casualties run 10 per cent as I recall.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

I haven't personally observed many friendly fire casualties in CM, does anyone have any tales to tell about this phenomenon? Some estimates for WW2 friendly fire casualties run 10 per cent as I recall.

I was playing Any Port After A Storm Part 2 and two squads were assaulting at 150mm gun supported by a .50 cal 100m away (at night). After the squads destroyed the gun and routed the crew, the .50 cal switched fire to one of the sqauds. I'm pretty sure one of those squads wanted to turn that 150mm gun on the MG crew...

LimShady

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by LimShady:

Hi guys,

I just finished reading Joseph Alexander's <u>Storm Landings</u> (good book IMHO) and during the analysis of the Okinawa campaign, he states that General Buckner was the highest ranking US officer KIA. Prior to this I thought most sources said that General McNair was the highest ranking officer KIA, or was that just in the ETO?

Not sure about this, so don't take it as gospel, but I think McNair was a lieutenant general whereas Buckner had four stars.

Michael

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

What was it in the Gulf war? 90% of all casualties were from friendly fire?

im pretty sure that is WAY too high. it was a high percentage but only because of the tiny number of casualties overall. if it had been a real slughter fest, the real story would have the same small number of friendly casualties pointed to as one of the major highlights of the war(small percentage friendly firer incidents)

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

The highest ranking U.S. naval officer killed during WW2 was Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd. He was killed on December 7th, 1941 at Pearl Harbor while aboard the Arizona when the Japanese attacked. He was last seen manning a machine gun and firing at the Japanese aircraft. Right after that the Arizona blew up. His body was never found.

------------------

Craiger

All your victory flag are belong to me

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Huh, I thought it was Roosevelt..

OK, it's bad taste :P

Actually, Brig. Gen. (I think, could've been Major) Teddy Roosevelt did die in ETO, of a heart attack, a few weeks after D-Day, IIRC.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Actually, Brig. Gen. (I think, could've been Major) Teddy Roosevelt did die in ETO, of a heart attack, a few weeks after D-Day, IIRC.

Brigadier General

General Roosevelt's Medal of Honor Citation:

*ROOSEVELT, THEODORE, JR.

Rank and organization: brigadier general, U.S. Army. Place and date: Normandy invasion, 6 June 1944. Entered service at: Oyster Bay, N.Y. Birth: Oyster Bay, N.Y. G.O. No.: 77, 28 September 1944. Citation: for gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in France. After 2 verbal requests to accompany the leading assault elements in the Normandy invasion had been denied, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt's written request for this mission was approved and he landed with the first wave of the forces assaulting the enemy-held beaches. He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice. Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strong points and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France .