Saw an weird Sherman today....

Was at the local drug store and happened to walk down the plastic model aisle. Ah, the memories came back!! smile.gif

Though the price of today's plastic models, holy crap!! frown.gif

Anyway, I picked up one box and was baffled. I've seen the Sherman with the rocket tubes on it, the "Calliope" I think? But this one was different. It was outfitted with just two

60 pound rockets that hung from each side of the turret. Bunker busters perhaps? I dunno.

Couldn't find any reference to it here in a search, so I was just wondering of anyone knew what it was.

Later!

That would be a British (Guards Armored Division) variant. Those are aircraft rockets....I would guess they could be used for bunker busting, although the accuracy would probably be abysmal...best feature of these was probably the "Holy S***!!" value. Be nice to have when you came around that corner and saw the KT sitting there too. smile.gif

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

Phoenix,

According to "The Sherman and the 17pdr." by Peter Chamberlain and Chris Ellis, an article which appeared in Uwe Feist's JOURNAL: Military Panorama No. 1 says on page 15

"The Fireflies with the greatest hitting power of all were probably those of 1st (Armored) Battalion, Coldstream Guards, Guards Armored Division, which were fitted (together with standard Shermans) with launcher rails for 60 pound aircraft rockets on each side of their turrets."

The article says that these field mods grew out of seeing the havoc Typhoon rockets caused, were known as "Tulips" by the men, had a range of only 30 yards, were fired electrically from within the turret, weren't very accurate, but could deturret a Panther or demolish a house with one salvo (two rockets).

Rockets and launch rails were obtained from the RAF.

You are seeing a very rare vehicle depicted, since all such mods were confined to this one battalion exclusively.

Hope this helps.

John Kettler

>30 yards range?

Firing a fin stabilized rocket from the height of approx. 2 meters at 0 degrees (I take it the rails are mounted on the turret with minimal or no elevation conrol). Backblast affecting its ballistics = depending how the fins are placed the flight path is erratic at best.

I'd say 30 yards is about as close as you need to get to score a hit at what you are aimimg at. biggrin.gif

I also found a wierd Sherman wink.gif With this guy in it.

Phoenix, model making isn't as easy as it used to be. All the good hobby shops in my area closed years ago. Paint and diorama material at other stores are just not up to snuff. Haven't done one in years......

wickedcoolstuff_1622_5992277

cool.gif

[This message has been edited by CJMello (edited 02-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CJMello (edited 02-13-2001).]

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Phoenix:

Though the price of today's plastic models, holy crap!! frown.gif

Yep. Back in my model building days, kits were about a buck apiece. And don't forget, nowadays to be a "serious" modeler you have to have an airbrush and sundry other gadgets that don't come cheap either.

Ship model builders have had their own lathes, drill presses, etc. for decades.

Michael

Yeah Michael, but back in those days wasn't beer a nickel? smile.gif

Due to a B-day present of a model tank (think it's all my CM talk gave him the gift idea) I'v gotten back into models.

Think I'm going to make my fav tanks have have them around my PC while I play smile.gif.

T.

I got lucky and have access to a plotter at work so I've been looking for sites with nice artwork that I can print out for my computer room. Right now I have 3 nice aircraft pics (prints them 22x30 inches plus a border) but haven't found any armor. Anyone have any suggestions?

------------------

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Tontoman:

Yeah Michael, but back in those days wasn't beer a nickel? smile.gif

Naw, but Cokes were a dime.

Michael