Hi Modders...this one is for you

Guest Tom

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tom:

Gentlemen ,

there is a German company named " Intex -Publishing " selling a graphic add-on CD for CM !

Click on the link below to check " their " offer:

Combat Mission Graphics Enhancement Pack

Take a closer look on the pics...looks familiar , doesn´t it :mad:

Cheers

Tom

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Tom ]<hr></blockquote>

yep they screwed the modders. too bad for them most of that has a copyright by madmatt on his website(for the modders' protection). i wonder if the germans can afford the legal fees...

Would that be breaking copyright law, or could they claim that as the mods were freeware they can use them as they like?

Would it be possible for the modders to be able to stop them? I hope so. Someones work should be respected, but I don't know how easy it would be to stop them. Where's a lawyer when we need one :D

They even try to sell 'their' stuff via ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1292317262

This is in addition to their Webshop, where they want around $20 for the CD.

This is what I've identified so far:

Summer picture:

Kingtiger: Gordon Molek

Sky graphics: Ben "Surlyben" Bittner

Winter picture:

Tiger: John "Tiger" S.

Kingtiger: Fernando Carrera

Buildings: Don "Panzertruppen" Maddox

What a shame. Never thought somebody would even think about doing this. Obviously I was very wrong.

Marcus

Here's the full description of 'their' work:

(my comments in brackets)

Highres textures for snow and grass.

Highres textures for the forest ground in decent colors.

More realistic colors for autumn trees.

New highres trees.

Highres buildings with 3D effects on the walls. (Panzertruppen)

New camouflage patterns for kingtiger and other vehicles.

Photorealistic skies. (Surlyben)

More attractive explosions and fires. (not shown, but I guess it's JuJu's)

Complete set of winter camouflage vehicles.

Sample missions, that show the new effects.

Just got this email from them.... seems like BS to me, but you can judge for yourselves.

Public statement

In an internet forum about Combat Mission a theme concerning our "Combat Mission Graphics Enhancement Pack" (GEP) was posted. Without any knowledge about this upcoming product people declared, that we were breaking copyright laws with our product. Such insulting accusations have been made in the forum and via email without even knowing the product.

We have to protest vigorously because of several reasons:

How can anyone judge copyright issues of a product that he or she hasn´t seen and tested, of a product that isn´t released yet? Just by watching a webpage and a screenshot?

It´s clear, that our Enhancement Pack will have similarities to mods in the internet. It just can´t be that different in any aspect. A tiger tank is a tiger tank and we cannot differ it´s look, design or size. For technical reasons the files have to have distinct names, sizes and resolutions, if they should work in Combat Mission. Furthermore camouflage designs and colors have historic backgrounds, that should not be changed just for graphical matters. So, in fact nobody can hold a copyright for specific tank designs, colors and camouflage schemes nor for file names, sizes or resolutions.

The fact is, that no mod can be compared with our product, if the size in megabytes and the amount of files is concerned. No mod is 50 MB big!

Our product is installed automatically and doesn´t overwrite it´s own files. Many mods overwrite each other. We will test our product by professionals und support it for free. You won´t find any support for mods.

No mod has a multilingual installer (German, English, French) with which non-professionals can change the look and feel of Combat Mission. No Winzip is needed for our product and no files have to be copied with the windows explorer.

In contrast to all of the mod-BMP-files our image files will have a specially rendered 3D-effect in themselves, so that not only the 3D-models have a 3D look, but also the textures.

For the price of our product the custormer gets a professionally mastered CD in a DVD-Box. The mods have to be downloaded from diverse websites. This might even cost more time and money than ordering our product.

Intex Publishing GmbH

Eitorf, Germany, 2.11.2001

Public statement

In an internet forum about Combat Mission a theme concerning our „Combat Mission Graphics Enhancement Pack“ (GEP) was posted. Without any knowledge about this upcoming product people declared, that we were breaking copyright laws with our product. Such insulting accusations have been made in the forum and via email without even knowing the product.

We have to protest vigorously because of several reasons:

- How can anyone judge copyright issues of a product that he or she hasn´t seen and tested, of a product that isn´t released yet? Just by watching a webpage and a screenshot?

- It´s clear, that our Enhancement Pack will have similarities to mods in the internet. It just can´t be that different in any aspect. A tiger tank is a tiger tank and we cannot differ it´s look, design or size. For technical reasons the files have to have distinct names, sizes and resolutions, if they should work in Combat Mission. Furthermore camouflage designs and colors have historic backgrounds, that should not be changed just for graphical matters. So, in fact nobody can hold a copyright for specific tank designs, colors and camouflage schemes nor for file names, sizes or resolutions.

- The fact is, that no mod can be compared with our product, if the size in megabytes and the amount of files is concerned. No mod is 50 MB big!

- Our product is installed automatically and doesn´t overwrite it´s own files. Many mods overwrite each other. We will test our product by professionals und support it for free. You won´t find any support for mods.

- No mod has a multilingual installer (German, English, French) with which non-professionals can change the look and feel of Combat Mission. No Winzip is needed for our product and no files have to be copied with the windows explorer.

- In contrast to all of the mod-BMP-files our image files will have a specially rendered 3D-effect in themselves, so that not only the 3D-models have a 3D look, but also the textures.

- For the price of our product the custormer gets a professionally mastered CD in a DVD-Box. The mods have to be downloaded from diverse websites. This might even cost more time and money than ordering our product.

Intex Publishing GmbH

Eitorf, Germany, 2.11.2001

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Viceroy:

Just got this email from them.... seems like BS to me, but you can judge for yourselves.

Public statement ....

<hr></blockquote>

Got the same. We will have an eye on it.

Unless you have a licensing agreement with Battlefront.com and/or Big Time Software and also perhaps from the artists that created these mods (which, as far as I know, were done with BTS's permission and not for the purpose of resale) this offering would constitute a copyright violation.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by INtex:

Public statement...

- For the price of our product the custormer gets a professionally mastered CD in a DVD-Box. The mods have to be downloaded from diverse websites. This might even cost more time and money than ordering our product. (Emphasis added.)

Intex Publishing GmbH

Eitorf, Germany, 2.11.2001<hr></blockquote>

Straight from the horses mouth.

Apalling that some people want to thieve others' work for profit when the same work is offered and shared with little reward other than admiration and thanks... I want to thank all modders for their skill and generosity... you deserve better than this and I hope someone sues their Germanic butts

Yeknod

Ah...very nice...seems as if they have invented the wheel too....

but nevertheless they DO something for a newbie, who doesn't like to surf and download

When will the first scenario CD be sold ???

I doesn't like this kind of business, but i also doon't know what to do against it.

BTW. if somebody wants to get more information about the product lines of intex... smile.gif

write to

Intex Publishing GmbH

Jakobstr.9

D-53783 Eitorf

Germany

I know BTS is the biggest little company around, but do you a CD like this would be at all profitable? Why didn't I think of this myself!

So what does this bode for CMBB? Our best modders secretly working on their own mods and collecting them on CDs to market for themselves? Whats is BTS's stance on an enterprising modder marketing his own ORIGINAL mod package for sale?

Sounds like a big can of worms may have been opened here.