"Unknown unit" symbols - how about a 'wheeled vehicle'one?

I was pondering this last night. We have a 'tank' symbol and a 'light armour' symbol. Should there be one for wheeled vehicles like trucks, jeeps, armoured cars? I think there should, because they will sound different to a tracked or half-tracked vehicle as they move. What do the rest of you think?

Soddball,

I think this to be an excellent idea? Are the graphics for these generic sound contact markers hardcoded? If not, punt it to the gentleman that did a remake of the generic sight markers. Can't remember his name now.

Regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

--------------

At first there's nothing but a sour bunch of beads hanging. Time passes, the sun ripens them, they become as sweet as honey, and then they're called grapes. We trample on them; we extract the juice and put it into casks; it ferments on its own, becomes wine. It's a miracle!

-- Nikos Kazantzakis, Greek poet and writer (1885 - 1957)

The graphic symbol is hardcoded for vehicles although not for infantry sound contacts. Making a symbol for wheeled vehicle sound contacts only would require a change in the game's coding since wheeled vehicles are normally given the Light Armor symbol. The game does not distinquish bettwen a light tracked sound contact and a wheeled sound contact.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ellros:

The graphic symbol is hardcoded for vehicles although not for infantry sound contacts. Making a symbol for wheeled vehicle sound contacts only would require a change in the game's coding since wheeled vehicles are normally given the Light Armor symbol. The game does not distinquish bettwen a light tracked sound contact and a wheeled sound contact.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the Sound Contact Generic Symbols for Vehicles textures aren't hard-coded. The models are, but the textures aren't.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Actually the Sound Contact Generic Symbols for Vehicles textures aren't hard-coded. The models are, but the textures aren't.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can mod the BMP but the shape of the vehicale can't be changed so... that mod would be a wast of time.

I was thinking less of a mod for CMBO, but perhaps as inclusion in CMBB. It would be valuable, for the single reason that confusing half tracks with trucks/jeeps/armoured cars can really throw your attack/defence. Since they would sound different in real life (I think, and would like to hear from people on this), maybe they should have different symbols in the game-before they're correctly identified.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soddball:

I MADE A CONTRIBUTION! :D

I feel all worthwhile! smile.gif

Briefly. :eek:

Reality returns. :(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Matt's "Hmmmmm..." was him contemplating banning you for trying to create more work for BTS. You'd better think more carefully before throwing out any more "good ideas". :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Soddball:

I MADE A CONTRIBUTION!

I feel all worthwhile!

Briefly.

Reality returns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, Matt's "Hmmmmm..." was him contemplating banning you for trying to create more work for BTS. You'd better think more carefully before throwing out any more "good ideas".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL!

I know my place, yerroner. Yessir. *bow*

How about big pictures of cake in place of the soldiers? And how about altering the TacAI for tanks so it targets the first thing it sees until it dies? Yessir. Any chance I can get a job with the Playstation boys?

I would expect that here would be a huge difference in sound between a tracked and non-tracked vehcile. Although WW2 armour would be slightly different than contemporary tracked vehicles (ie. heavy equipment), from what I've seen they go by the same principle. i.e. Tracked vehicles have a series of pads that are held onto a chain. It's this chain that the main drive (think 'sprocket') uses to force the rotaion of the track. It looks very much like a bycicle chain. The thing is, it isn't lubricated at all and screams/screeches and groans constantly. Snap, crackle, pop...

fwiw,

-R

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Also, we need to make sure that canine and equine sound contact markers are different from normal infantry markers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thank God I wore my corsets, for I think my sides have split. You know where the door is for worthless comments.

When I was in the Army I made it a practice of being able to identify vehicles by their sounds. Granted it was only US vehicles but I could tell the differance between a M35A2 Deuce and a half and a 5 ton truck or a M113A2 or the newer M113A3s. It's also like learning what different weapons sound like. You can learn a lot about what's going on by listening to the weapons. "Hey, they've got a machinegun and probably a couple of SAWs" is valuable battlefield intel.

After thinking about it a bit more, I believe I have noticed different sound cues for truck sound contacts. The graphic is the same as the light armor sound contact, but it says Truck? and sounds like a Jeep or truck. Or is that just for an unidentified vehicle as opposed to a sound contact?

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

WoW! Soddball you did good. Great idea. I actually had thought of that years and years ago but thought it might sound stupid so didn't bring it up. Wish I had now. Did they invite you to lunch or anything? Just kidding it was a very good idea and if you will notice I was one of the first to say that. See how smart I am for picking up on a good idea. If you have any more let me know. I think we make a good team. ;)