New "Combined Arms Tourney" Registration Now Open

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"4) Some gamey tactics fall into a gray area that reasonable people can disagree on. They are difficult, if not impossible to arbitrate; therefore, perceived gamey tactics complaints will not be entertained by the "Court of Disputes". "

PERFECT!!

I like this one BEST!

GREAT rules, thanks for the time and effort put into the Dispute Resolution Post

VERY good Work! :)

-tom w

Hi Stug III!

That thought had crossed my mind. What would WineCape get though if he won the second tournament? BTW, You're in for the second tournament along with WineCape and Chuckle.

I've been trying to figure a way to get nice prizes together for the second and future Combined Arms Tournaments. My wife would kill me in my sleep if I sponsored a second CASH prize.

I've come up with two ideas that may or may not appeal to potential tournament participants. The first is a "pay to play" thing where everyone pays an entrance fee. If ten people put in $5 US and I add $5 US then the prize would be $55 US giving the winner a $50 net gain. There are some possible problems with this however. Paying a fee may very well take the fun out of it for many people. Also, either myself, or some third party would have to be trusted enough to hold the money for the winner and not just drop out of cyber-space with the cash. One possible answer to the "trust" problem would be to ask somebody like Madmatt to collect and hold the money. Everybody knows him and he's not going anywhere. Also, everyone knows where he works. LOL!!

If players seem to like this entrance fee idea I will ask Madmatt to collect and hold the money for us. There are other highly respected members of the community that could be asked as well. Then again, after I send off this $50 prize to the winner people may trust me enough to handle their entrance fees.

My second idea is inspired by WineCape's generous donation but is full of big holes. BTW, he should be posting pictures of the bottles he is donating. I've exchanged a couple emails with him and I get the impression (not sure) that the six bottles may each contain a different wine.

Anyway, my second idea is that people donate something of value that they don't mind parting with. For example, I have a 64 MB stick of PC100 RAM that I won't ever use. I have a Talonsoft game (Rising Sun) that I will never use, etc.. This merchandise could be shipped directly from the donor to the tournament winner like WineCape is doing. It doesn't take long to come up with the problems here. The item can't be too bulky or heavy unless the donor is prepared to pay a large shipping fee. (This makes WineCape's donation all the more generous, BTW). The donor could fail to send the prize. This would not be the end of the world as no participant is really out anything (such as an entrance fee). If the donor was a participant what would he get for a prize? So there are several problems that would need to be worked out with the merchandise plan. Any feedback on this topic is appreciated. If at all possible I would really like to run a series of these prize tournaments. I just can't supply the prize every time.

Treeburst155 out.

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

The pay to play idea is good but that will probably attract only the best players, ones who believe they actually can win. I myself wouldn't need to spend $5 to find out 5500 of the 6000+ people on this board could wipe the map with me. I'm in it more for fun and to get to know the members of this community.

Now, the second option is excellent. I'm sure there are plenty of people in this community that would donate prizes to a series of tournaments. The tourneys could even be organized based ON the prize ie. Wine tourney, Flatscreen Monitor tourney, Old puck bag tourney etc...

That way people could enter based on which prize may appeal to them.

Just my thoughts, value: .02$ ;)

I agree with you about the pay to play tournaments attracting the top players for the most part. Heck, if there were enough of those tournaments I'm sure we'd have somebody out there who would try to take up CM as a profession. LOL!! This is not a bad thing but it does leave the casual player out of the action which is something I'd rather not do.

I like the idea of holding an item specific tournament like a "South African Wine" tournament. I'm not sure it will be that easy to find sponsors willing to donate and ship fairly nice merchandise such as WineCape is doing. I think he may be the exception rather than the rule among the community. Then again, I may be underestimating the generosity of the CM community. There's only one way to find out and that's to solicit the forum for a sponsor. I'm not prepared to do that just yet. Let's see what happens on this thread first. Our discussion is buried deep on page three of this single thread but some benefactor may turn up. I'll just let it ride for a day or two.

Rather than call it the "South African Wine Tournament" for an example we could actually name the tournament after the sponsor rather than the merchandise, or both. For example, "WineCape's Wine Tournament". This way the sponsor gets well deserved recognition for his generous gift.

Treeburst155 out.

Right, here's the good South African vino I recommend for the winner and intend to send, with some background information on each wine.

One bottle each from the main cultivars produced here in South Africa will be send to the eventual winner, postage pre-paid by me. This means a delivery time of 10 weeks via surface mail from South Africa to Europe/USA or the rest of the world. I will fully insure the package. I'll leave out my wine tasting description of each wine so as not to influence the winner when he receives the wine after the tournament! ;) [iMHWO = in my humble wine opinion]

1 x 750ml Cape Blend -- Rupert & Rothschild "Baron Edmond" 1998, Simondium-Paarl --

Yes, it *is* South African! Rupert & Rothschild is a partnership in wine production between Baron Edmond de Rothschild and Anthonijj Rupert on the historic French Huguenot farm "Fredericksburg", situated near the Franschoek valley (25km from Stellenbosch), the farm being established in 1690.

(Sidenote: The Rupert family is, apart from the Oppenheimers, probably the most well accomplished family in South Africa. And no, it was not their money that swayed me to include this tipple, but more the fact that the winemaker was my alma mater in the '80's -- and it IS a damn fine wine!)

--> This Cape Blend consist of 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon. Alc. = 13,5%. The wine spend 24 months in 100% new French wood (of course, what else! smile.gif), with long term aging potential. Can be drunk now, but will improve up to 2010. IMHWO, outstanding!

1 x 750ml Cabernet Sauvignon -- Le Bonheur 1997, Simonsberg-Stellenbosch --

Le Bonheur is one of the most consistent Cab. producer in South Africa. The 1997 garnered the highest accolade for a bottled wine here, the annual "Veritas Double Gold" (only 1,8% of 2000+ wines entered received this award last year), as well as a Silver Medal @ the 2000 International Wine Show Challenge, London.

--> Small French oak barrel matured (225L) for 18 months, 60% new, the rest 2nd fill. Alc. = 12,5%. Can be drunk now, but will reward a further 4-5 years. IMHWO, excellent!

1 x 750ml Pinotage -- Bellevue 1999, Stellenbosch --

Produced from the first commercial vineyard plantings of Pinotage in the world in 1953. This grapes was then used to *bottle* the world's first Pinotage, the Lanzerac 1959. South African Young Wine Show Champion in 1999.

-->50/50 American and French wood matured, of which 50% of each new barrels. Alc. = 13,8%.

Very accessible now, can be laid down for 4-5 years. IMHWO, excellent. A good example of a well made, typical (with regard to flavour associations, that is) Pinotage.

1 x 750ml Shiraz -- Linton Park "Summer Hill, Slangrivier" 1999, Wellington --

Listed now on the Concorde's wine list - when they *do* get off the ground! ;) - as well as British Airways First Class and the South African Blue Train. This the estate's flagship, from a single vineyard selection called "Summer Hill". ["Slangrivier" = Snake river]

-->Year oaked in 70%-30% French/American oak barrels respectively, all 2nd fill. Alc. = 12,5%.

Give another year or two before opening. Will last 6-7 years. IMHWO, very good!

1 x 750ml Merlot -- Vergelegen 1998, Helderberg, Somerset West --

The most gifted winemaker (in theory + practice) in South Africa, Andre van Rensburg, resides at this Anglo-American owned wine farm. And this in my not so a humble wine opinion! Voted with 4 other Merlots the best Merlot in South Africa's WINE Magazine (out of 93 tasted). Silver Medal @ IWSC, London 2000.

-->Has 9% Cabernet Sauvignon to stiffen the upholstery. Spend 17 months in 50% new French cooperage (Sylvain and Vicard). Alc. = a whopping 13,8%. IMHWO, excellent to outstanding!

1 x 750ml Pinot Noir -- Haute Cabriere 1998, Franschoek --

From the Cabriere estate, situated in the valley of Franschoek. Renowned for their Methode Cap Classique bubblies. Drank this last night with my wife. Not bad at all, very sumptuous and enjoyable now. Will go well with the any mushroom dish, duck, game birds, pate, sweetbreads, turkey, even venison. Again, all IMHWO.

--> Just drink this up and enjoy. No need for the pedigree. Trust me on this one. smile.gif

Sincerely

Charl Theron

Stellenbosch, South Africa

PS: With thanks to Treeburst155 for putting this tourney idea forward and his gracious sponsoring of the prize monies. May the best man be enriched in wine and CM tactics!

Treeburst155's prize money as well as my wine (+ postage) will be the 1st prize of this tourney.

Don't worry KiwiJoe, I'll send it to New Zealand *if* you win. smile.gif You can't just drink "Cloudy Bay" Sauvignon Blanc all your life. Need to experiment with your taste-buds sir. ;) That way your girlfriend/wife/<-- sheep joke could be filled in here smile.gif can enjoy the prize WITH you.

Sincerely

Charl Theron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Well seeing as I live in New Zealand it would prolly cost you $50 to ship a trophy out here anyways. Better off with the cash smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pah - how you gonna win without using 7/2's then?? tongue.gif

But I'm happy to here that the wine will be coming to me here too! :D

Hi guys!

My ISP has been down for twenty hours so I'm just catching up. Now, unfortunately I have to go to work for a few hours. You new guys wanting to join a second tournament are IN. I think I've still got a couple more slots left but I really gotta go now. I'll check later. Thanks again to WineCape for his most generous offer.

Can you guys appreciate a good wine (or six)? Maybe I should just have him ship it all to me, eh? :D

See ya in a few hours.

Treeburst155 out.

Tournament One is underway. Hopefully you ten guys are communicating with your nine opponents, or at least a few of them. Don't put it off too long. WineCape's wine will get better with age but the $50 buys less every day it seems.

Tournament Two now has five people signed up. They are StugIII, chuckle, WineCape, Tincan, and Fangorn. We'll wait for a day or two and see if we can get to 10 people. If not, I don't see any reason why the five of you couldn't have a little 4 games per person match. I think we'll get more however.

If you Tournament Two guys haven't looked over this thread rather thoroughly yet you probably should so you understand what's going on. I know it's long but you can find the important stuff fairly easily I think. Read the first couple pages.

I'm not sure there will be much of a prize for this second tourney. How do you guys feel about a barely used retail copy of Talonsoft's "Rising Sun" complete with the manual for a prize? It's no CM but I had fun with it for a few weeks. There's actually a bit of a learning curve involved. It's not a kiddie game, that's for sure. It's definitely a wargamer's wargame.

Treeburst155 out.

WineCape,

I finally got some time to carefully read your descriptions of the various wines you are sending. It was quite an education for me. I certainly hope the winner realizes what he's getting here. It appears you are sending not just good wines, but the finest wines on the continent, maybe on two or three continents.

To the first ten:

DID YA HEAR THAT YOU BEER GUZZLING BELCHERS?!

If you win this tournament WineCape is going to introduce you to culture, sophistication, style and class through his wines. I hope you can handle it. :D

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst155,

Let me know when the 2nd Tourney starts. It might be that I have to give it a miss.

2 Reasons: I'm playing 19 PBEM oppenents @ the moment, with 15 games not even 1/3 way through.(STUGIII + chuckle here are 2 of those!)

Secondly, even if most of my games do finish early enough, I doubt at the moment if I can be committed to another serious of battles.

I'm about to officiate (in next 2 months)some soccer matches in the Confederation of African Football League (the CAF Cup), with most of the matches that I'm involved in being played outside South Africa.

This will entail stretches of 4-6 days that I will be away from home/work.

But lets see first. It might be that I just can make it for the 2nd tourney. Hopefully StuGIII and chuckle here can surrender/hoist the white flag early, hehe. That'll make 2 down, 17 to go! ;)Ben, where is your next move sire! smile.gifMooove itttt!

And yes, for those who wondered, I am using PBEM HELPER for the above 19 matches, otherwise I'll go insane!

Sincerely

Charl Theron

PS: I'll see if I can find some scanned images/labels of the wines I intend to send. Will post them here.

Now lets see if I can post some images of the wine prizes of this Tourney:

The Baron Edmond 1998 vintage of Rupert & Rothschild…

edmond_lab.jpg

Here's 2 of the Le Bonheur Cabernet Sauvignon 1997 with their SA Veritas Award stickers on the bottle (the Cab. is on the left, their Prima (a "Bordeaux" Blend) on the right…

pic_wines.jpg

b] (in fact this pic is the estate

010505.gif

The Haute Cabriere Pinot Noir (Sort of…. )

chardonay_pinotnoir_label.gif

And the classy Vergelegen Merlot 1998 ….

<a  href=]http://www.winetodaysa.com/winemail/Images/labels/010406.gif' alt='010406.gif'>

Sorry, no picture of the Linton Park Shiraz 1999 yet.

Bit rustic, so here we try again!

The Baron Edmond 1998 vintage of Rupert & Rothschild…

edmond_lab.jpg

Here's 2 of the Le Bonheur Cabernet Sauvignon 1997 with their SA Veritas Award stickers on the bottle (the Cab. is on the left, their Prima (a "Bordeaux" Blend) on the right…

pic_wines.jpg

LeBon_w.jpg

The Bellevue Pinotage (in fact this pic is the estate's top blend "Tumara", but the label is the same, only coloured dark/light blue ….

010505.gif

The Haute Cabriere Pinot Noir (Sort of…. )

chardonay_pinotnoir_label.gif

And the classy Vergelegen Merlot 1998 ….

010406.gif

Sorry, no picture of the Linton Park Shiraz 1999 yet.

Now if only a BTS admin guy can delete the first faulty pic post above and all will look spiffy.

Say Treeburst155, possible to give us some background on the parameters the participants has set so far in their battles of this tourney?

Sincerely

Charl Theron