Soviet Union maps

Right, I am thinking about thinking to get into map design for CMBB, after all a good map takes a while.

Anyone with any links for maps of the former Soviet Union in small scale 1:50,000 or smaller that are available on the web, please post the link here. Especially sought after are maps that show WW2 areas of fighting, or even better WW2 era maps.

Toodles in advance.

Hmm, I thought I could help you out but it doesn't look good. This is what I found:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

8. Data. Some time ago I've tried to find Russian maps in Internet. There was a big problem. It looks like they are, but actually they aren't. You can't order digital base maps via Internet in Russia. You even can't find out do such maps exist or not. If they are, you can't find out their scales. The same things are with DTM and other types of geodata. RS data is like a spot of light on this background. Using Internet you can receive information about presence of satellite images for any terrain you need in Russia, quicklooks for these images and prices. The best situation is with images from Russian satellite Resurs-O1. Also there are meteorological maps and small-scale images received from meteorological satellites. We can find them in Russian Internet without any problem. Also there are obvious disinclination of Russian organizations to share data for free (sure, there are some exceptions). So, existing Russian data could be obtained with difficulties and this leads to situation, when almost all developers of GIS-projects need create base maps firstly (use existing paper maps, digitize and make them up-to-date afterwards or use space images). Majority of project developers in Russia make all the work from the very beginning.

9. Interest to business mapping is dramatically weak in Russia. Industry, environment and urban systems - here are the main interests of Russians in GIS.

10. Policy of military secrets. Space images with resolution 2 meters and higher are totally secret in Russia and cannot be used in public systems. Images with resolutions 4 meters and better cannot be used if this territory contains military objects. Maps with scale 1: 50000 and better are totally secret too. Also in Russia is not allowed to determine coordinates with GPS or by any other methods with accuracy better, then 30 meters. So, data in Russian GIS cannot be very precise.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if you want a map of Moscow, Minnesota, I can help.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:

Now if you want a map of Moscow, Minnesota, I can help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me guess - it is very flat and unless we get a mod of the local udes mounted in a pick-up chasing hogs there would not be much point in doing it in CMBO ;) ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Here are some prints of original OKH operational maps:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/prit.buttar/index.htm

Enjoy!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot ST - Grego had dug that one up. With maps like these, no wonder my grandfather did never get into Moscow... Well, something to be grateful for, really.

Difficult to do stuff from them. There was a nice link in the Spanish Division thread the other day - unfortunately those did not have elevations. What were these guys thinking?! Obviously not of us mapmakers...

Andreas, hi,

I have had a crack at this problem before, and failed to find a solution. The latest word from Stanford’s, Britain’s number one map shop, is that the best they can get hold of is the very inadequate, 1:300,000 for the Ukraine and 1:500,000 for Russia. Both series of maps are “shaded” rather then “contour” maps. The 1:50,000/1:25,000 topographical maps we all want, and use for Western Europe, are not available.

May be worth trying Poland, for later war stuff. It is possible to get satellite photos of Poland, and “may be” Ukraine.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. The US Military “do” have the maps you are after. I know because I have seen a sample of them. Twenty years ago I came across a book of them in the Edmonton, Alberta, library. They would make your eyes water, “exactly” what we are all after. Whether you can persuade the US Military to share their maps with you I do not know. But they certainly have them. Another potential source are the maps and books produced by David Glantz. The place to get them is the Russian Military Zone. If you go to the David Glantz section you will be “spoilt for choice” as to which maps you want. Sadly, they are not free. http://history.vif2.ru/shop/glantz1.html

All the best,

Kip.

Just a hint in advance - I am going to offer Russian topo maps from Gamesofwar.de in line with the currently available NW Europe maps soon. I have received a number of 1:20,000 ("military scale") maps recently from a source which wants to remain unnamed, but have to figure out a few things with regard to legal stuff first before putting it online. Yes, you'll have to pay for these maps, as I had to pay for them, too.

Martin

Moon, hi,

If you are going to provide some topographical maps of around 1:20,000 covering Russia and Ukraine I am “very” impressed. I look forward to taking advantage of the service. I also understand fully the sort of “real-world” problems you may be facing in providing such maps.

Good luck,

All the best,

Kip.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kipanderson:

I know because I have seen a sample of them. Twenty years ago I came across a book of them in the Edmonton, Alberta, library.

All the best,

Kip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn! kip why didn't you say so! arrgh I'm from Edmonton and my whole family lives there.. hmm have to make contact to some o my family and friends there.

grego

Grego, hi,

Never crossed my mind that anyone on the forum was from Edmonton. Not that there is anything wrong with Edmonton. If I was allowed to, I would be living there now, or in Whitehorse.

What you are after is a book that is large format, about landscapes of Eastern Europe and produced by the US military. It is full of a mixture of photos and topographical maps of Europe. Will no doubt be in the geography department, may be travel.

All the best,

Kip.