Guns Per Battle -- What's The Right Ratio For Ladder Play?

At T-House, it's 3 guns per first 1000 pts. With 1 gun per every 1000 pts after. So, for a 2000 pt game, a defender could buy 4 guns.

At Rugged Defense, (and correct me if I'm wrong) you can have as many guns as you wish. Is this correct? This is what it says for Recon Rule. Is it different for Short-75, Panther-76?

What are your opinions on number of guns for fair play?

I take as many guns as I like... but, if I'm on offensive, or yet in a meeting engagement, for every gun I take, I take a vehicle capable of transporting it... Even if I don't intend to use it.

PS-I'm in both of those ladders by the way...

ive played a lot on the RD ladder, and it seems that everyone will buy a transport for their guns. its not a rule for any of fionns rules. what you will find a lot of on the RD ladder is every mix of veteran infantry possible!

guten morgen herr uberstormbringer. zis morning you vill have zome Heer troops to recon, SS troops to cover fire, fallschrimjagers to flank, gebermountainjagerguys to stay in reserve, a sturmgruppe company to assault, volksgrenadier SMG's to clear the woods, and some motorized troops to sweep the village! you will be under heavy covering fire from your king tigers, AAA trucks, and 88mm pupchens. gut lucke!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

At T-House, it's 3 guns per first 1000 pts. With 1 gun per every 1000 pts after. So, for a 2000 pt game, a defender could buy 4 guns.

At Rugged Defense, (and correct me if I'm wrong) you can have as many guns as you wish. Is this correct? This is what it says for Recon Rule. Is it different for Short-75, Panther-76?

What are your opinions on number of guns for fair play?<hr></blockquote>

The tournamenthouse number is only for CAL games, for normal games it is unlimited.

Many people require that attackers or ME participiants have their guns embarked to a vehicle in setup, which puts a quick end on buying too many guns.

If you need rules, I'd say ban 75mm infantry gun (too cheap) and flak guns (inbalancing high accuracy) or say no guns below 59 points regular.

If you impose a fixed limit on the number of guns the players can count them, that is bad.

I would argue that guns should have transport, and start limbered, in an ME. In theory, the force is on the move.

On a deliberate attack, there is a large precedent, stretching back to the invention of the cannon, for pre-emplaced guns firing in direct support. In fact, you should probably be able to dig them in.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

At T-House, it's 3 guns per first 1000 pts. With 1 gun per every 1000 pts after. So, for a 2000 pt game, a defender could buy 4 guns...

<hr></blockquote>

Col D,

I always try to make sure each of my guys has some sort of gun, even if it's only a pistol. tongue.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Col D,

I always try to make sure each of my guys has some sort of gun, even if it's only a pistol. tongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

The slingshots weren't working, eh? tongue.gif

To be honest, I think the CAL ladder is a little too strict when it comes to guns. I'd like to see 2 guns for every 1000 pts after the first 1000.

Of course, this still leaves the problem of knowing just how many guns the other guy has on defense. Usually the defender will take the max because they are so deadly to vehicles so the other guy kills one and starts counting. It would be nice to eliminate this but I'm not sure I'd how to start.

chad,

I play on RD from the beginning(must be because I am Dutch too and proud of it)

Usually I do not play Quick battles but if I do I always tell opponents what I like and what I dont like

This way(and by setting the right dates) you will not encounter king tigers/jumbos/smg squads and so on.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stoffel:

chad,

I play on RD from the beginning(must be because I am Dutch too and proud of it)

Usually I do not play Quick battles but if I do I always tell opponents what I like and what I dont like

This way(and by setting the right dates) you will not encounter king tigers/jumbos/smg squads and so on.<hr></blockquote>

Stoffel, maybe sometime well have to play each other then smile.gif

i almost always play sherman75 rules. that seems to tone down the artillery and tanks quite a bit. i prefer it that way so its not so much a 'sit back and erradicate each other'. they tend to be good infantry w/ tank support battles, instead of tank w/ infantry spotters battles.

as with guns, from what i can tell, they will usually start set up if a good plot of woods is open.

for sometime there were a lot of SMG squads in the battles i played, now it seems to be mostly veteran sturmgruppes, fallschrimjagers, and gerbils. i might have to jump on the band wagon. smile.gif