SURVEY RESULTS: Axis or Allied Preferences

Guest Capt_Manieri

Guest Capt_Manieri

Here are the results of my recent survey:

"What side do you prefer playing on? Axis or Allied?"

Axis: 53%

Allied: 29%

Both: 18%

So, consequently I guess it proves that there are a lot more people here who like to play as Germans as opposes to Allied Nations.

That's my report.

Captain out.

Of course all we have to see of the allies are the Sherman and 'Cat. The Germans get: The Tiger, Stug, 88 Flak and Halftracks. Much more interesting. When the Allies get their big guns and some more interesting units (British too!) I'd bet the balance will swing.

- Bill

Self-Selection surveys are considered a very poor tool in proving theory. This is because of the problems in what kind of respondant a survey attracts in answering, ie the tendancy for those with strong beliefs or the outlier phenomana . The other problem is with the numbers that you are playing with, considering the number of poster's who have posted and downloaded the demo, the 50 or so who have replied seem's a remarkably small sample to draw any sort of conclusion from.

I remember seeing a report a few years ago that said nearly all of American teenagers claimed they were better than average in math.

Of course, they also claimed to better than average in geography, yet, over 20%, IIRC, couldn't locate Japan on a globe. Some couldn't even find the US.

Some survey results done by the Skeptical enquirer in the US.

15% do not belive the holocaust happened

75% believe UFO's exist

60% belive in Ghosts

70% Belive in ESP

85% believe in God

90% Believe in an afterlife

40% Believe Evolution is wrong

30% Beleive WW2 was fought to save the Jews

40% Believe "somthing terrible" will happen on jan 1st 2000 (survey done lasy year).

10% Believe Jesus will return in 2000

Make of that what you will.

Now what I want to know is what kind of person would actually answer these questions if someone called them over dinner one night?? smile.gif

_dumbo

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's said that President Eisenhower was deeply shocked to discover that almost half of Americans were below average intelligence

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!!

Also did you realise that half of the people in the world make up 50% of the population?

"There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics." Mark Twain

It is typically considered bad form to say the analysis of the data from a survey "proves" anything. Preferred are words like "indicates" or "demonstrates" or some other kind of a word that means you think you are right but leaves you some "wiggle room" and allows others to weigh in with their own interpretations of the same or similar data. Of course there really isn't such a thing as "objective science" as we tend to bring our own agendas to our research questions. The best we can hope for is that other humans think we are treating our subject matter fairly and without so much prejudice that our analysis is meaningless. "Truth by agreement" is close to objectivity and runs along the lines of "did you see that?" if the answer is "yup." then it must be true.

So if a large majority of gamers like being the Germans because Tigers are more fun, then it must be true. And it is true that Tigers are more fun, and anyone who disagrees is wrong and a bad person and should be stripped to the waist and publicly flogged. wink.gif ...or something. Remember that the root of analysis is "anal." Frued said that, or was it Dr Suess?

Peng sez "KILL KILL KILL"

As long as we're being silly, something I was sent last year... biggrin.gif

Study shows 139% of studies misuse statistics.

1st April. A three year study conducted by the National Bureau of Statistics has revealed that more than 100% of government agencies misuse statistics in official reports. Study coordinator James Roberts says "We found that 45% of agencies employed careless sampling techniques, 56% did not correctly analyse results and 38% drew unfounded conclusions from their results a total of 139% in all."

Roberts cites a recent Internet poll as an example of misuse of figures. One of the questions was "Do you or your family own a computer?" 93% of people answering the survey ticked "yes" to this question and from that the researchers concluded that 93% of people owned computers. "Wrong." says Roberts. "Clearly they did not poll everyone who owns a computer, only those people who did the poll. Since surveys have shown that only 5% of computer owners have ever done a survey on the Net. That suggests a figure of more like 459% of people own computers."

Robert blames the situation on poor number skills. "We've found that whereas 96% of 11 year olds are studying some form of mathematics, by age 19 the figure is only 8%, a decrease of 11% per year. This means that by age 20 people are receiving minus 3% mathematical education." Roberts' team concludes that by age 30 people know less maths than when they commenced school and by age 40 know less maths than a streptococcus bacillus.

"Multiplying an 11 per cent per year loss by the population of Australia gives us a total decrease in mathematical skills of more than 200 million per cent per year and that's an unacceptable situation" says Roberts.

Other researchers have challenged the finding but Roberts says "We're ninety percent sure about ninety percent of these results. That's 90 multiplied by 90 or 8100% certain. That's pretty convincing."

HYPOTHESIS:

1. Players favoring Germans tend to be more aggressive [research note: Childhood sociopaths?].

2. More aggressive individuals tend to respond to forum posts, rather than lurk.

3. Therefore, a voluntary survey tends to reflect a disproportionately high number of players who favor Germans.

"Back off, man, I'm a scientist."