Book recommendations?

Guest Jeeves

Guest Jeeves

The forum is silent as Jeeves walks unsteadily to the microphone. His eyes are cast down, avoiding the expectant stares of the members in the front row. Nervous glances are exchanged amongst the veterans grouped at the back, unsure as to what is about to unfold onstage. Jeeves reaches out a sweaty palm and gently taps the microphone.

*cough*

"Is this thing on?"

An eerie wail erupts from the PA system, the feedback causing some audience members to noticeably stiffen. The unwelcome sound dies away, to be replaced by a low murmur that slowly builds throughout the gathered masses.

"Ah, well, you see, um, my name's Jeeves, and, ah, I'm a lurker..."

The sound of the "L" word exiting the young man's lips seems to ease the tension in the room almost immediately. Some nod knowingly, while others gaze off into the distance, remembering the time when they "came out of the closet".

"Having been reading this board for the last five or six months, I have been stunned, nay, gob-smacked, by the knowledge displayed by members of this fine group. I won't mention any names, for fear of them becoming the target of some good natured ribbing, needless to say I have a healthy respect for your worldly wisdom. It is thus, at my time of need, that I come to you to ask your advice.

After playing a handful (or more) games of CM I have come to the conclusion that my understanding of WWII close combat is somewhat lacking. Not that I have ever considered it otherwise, it's just that CM reveals it to you in a most disturbing manner (Ah, the fond memories of that building collapsing, taking 6(!) previously unharmed squads with it).

My question is thus:

What books would you recommend that would give someone like myself a better understanding of how WWII battles are fought, and that might be useful in increasing my appreciation of CM?

I usually read books focussing on the "bigger picture" (the recent being The Second World War by Martin Gilbert, and Why The Allies Won by Richard Overy), and I feel I have neglected to look at the "other end of the spectrum".

So if anyone out there can help me (and I *know* you can :) then any and all suggestions are welcomed."

*a smattering of applause from the audience as Jeeves shuffles back to his spot in the shadows*

If you Search on the word "book" (pick "look in header only", "partial match acceptable") you will find a number of monster threads on this.

I always recommend "A Time for Trumpets" by Charles B. MacDonald, and his smaller personal memoir, "Company Commander".

I'm reading "Arnhem 1944" by Martin Middlebrook right now.

Seems good thusfar, it is well organized and easy to follow. It's discussion centers on battalion/company actions with alot fo personal interviews of participants.

Doesn't focus on the grunts exclusively; but thankfully avoids blabbering tediously about "the General Staff's" activities in and around their command post.

Guest Offwhite

I just finished "Closing with the Enemy" by Michael Doubler - lots of detail about how American small-unit tactics evolved throughout the war, along with some big picture overview.

I'd second the recommendation of 'Company Commander' by MacDonald; it's well written and is exactly the right scale to complement 'CM'. John Antal's interactive exercise books 'Armor Attacks' and 'Infantry Combat' are good for learning small unit tactics, too.

A couple of'bigger picture' books that I always recommend are 'Overlord' by Max Hastings and Paul Fussell's 'Wartime'. The latter is more a social/cultural history of the American experience in WWII, but is outstanding.

I must admit I am 3/4 the way through D-Day by stephen E. Ambrose and found myself at times completely sucked in and felling the horrors as the story's play out. He has Also written the Book Citizen Soldiers which covers the War after D-Day. Both are must reads.

1. Short answer: Read Doubler's Closing With The Enemy.

2. Better answer: Do a search for "recommended reading" or "book recommendations", crack open a cold one and start taking notes.

Be forewarned that this can cost you some money!

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

Here’s my two cents:

1) “Panzer Battles” by F.W. Von Mellinthin

2) “Against the Panzers: United States Infantry VS German Tanks 1944-45

A History of eight battles told through Diaries, Unit Histories and Interviews” by Allyn R Vannoy & Jay Karamales

3) “German Battle Tactics on the Eastern Front” by Steven H Newton

4) “German Squad Tactics in WWII” by Matthew Gajkowski

I'm in the middle of 'Roll Me Over An Infantryman's World War II' by Raymond Gantter. Good insight on tactics and what it was like for the men not knowing where they would be sent next. Very good read.

The Clay Pigeons Of St. Lo

It's about a Battalion commander in the 29th Inf. Div. during the normandy invasion.

Like someone previously said.. Company Commander is a great one, I'm in the middle of reading it now.

I haven't read much, so I don't know of many that focus on battalion, platoon, etc.. level stuff.. I prefer those, but the big picture ones are easier to come by. smile.gif

Guest Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidh:

I always recommend [snip] Paul Fussell's 'Wartime'. The latter is more a social/cultural history of the American experience in WWII, but is outstanding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second the outstanding for "Wartime", but Fusell's "Doing Battle" is equally literate and probably more appropriate to the original question.

If Mr. Ambrose's rather sanctimonious tone (and other faults) put you off, you might try Don Burgett's "Seven Roads to Hell," a decent view-from-the-foxhole memoir about Bastogne. (It also happens to be new, easy to find and a relatively cheap mass market paperback.)

Of course, no reading list about WW2 is complete without Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", but that won't help you much with CM (yet . . .) wink.gif.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On May 8 Nazi Germany surrendered unconditionally. We were told this momentious news . . . "So what" was typical of the remarks I heard around me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Pfc. Eugene Sledge, K/3/5, Okinawa

Guest Bobb

To remention one book, The Face of Battle by John Keegan and one I do not recall being mentioned, The Making of a Paratrooper, by Kurt Gabel who brought a German background into the American Army, one that I found of interest culturally as well as a fine example of a first person account of battle and military experence. This one was published by the University Press of Kansas,

Gabel arrived in the US in 1938 from Germany. He was considered an enemy alien and not allowed to join the military voluntarily. Later allowed to volunter for the draft, he became a paratrooper with the 513 Parachute Reg. and eventually was assigned to the 17 Airborne Div.

His introduction to digging in for real was erie. The location was in a WWI American cemitary. A buddy recognising the irony of their situation asked if Kurt had read All is Quiet on the Western front. He did not recognise it. He had read it in the original German under another title.

Guest Bobb

To remention one book, The Face of Battle by John Keegan and one I do not recall being mentioned, The Making of a Paratrooper, by Kurt Gabel who brought a German background into the American Army, one that I found of interest culturally as well as a fine example of a first person account of battle and military experence. This one was published by the University Press of Kansas,

Gabel arrived in the US in 1938 from Germany. He was considered an enemy alien and not allowed to join the military voluntarily. Later allowed to volunter for the draft, he became a paratrooper with the 513 Parachute Reg. and eventually was assigned to the 17 Airborne Div.

His introduction to digging in for real was erie. The location was in a WWI American cemitary. A buddy recognising the irony of their situation asked if Kurt had read All is Quiet on the Western front. He did not recognise it. He had read it in the original German under another title.

Hello Jeeves,

the best books I have read (although I have only read very few) on WW2 are:

1) Enemy at the Gates (about the horrors in Stalingrad, with a lot of anecdotes and stories of indiviudal soldiers)

2) Forgotten Soldier (the autobiography of a young frenchman fighting in the german army)

Epée

[This message has been edited by Epée (edited 05-25-2000).]

Guest ChrisC1009

The following books detail small unit actions, tactics, and overall life in the trenches. Most of theses books are at the soldier level. All these books, IMHO, should be in everyone's personal library.

1. The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer (see a trend here?). Phenomenal book. A must read book. Simply the most vivid account of WWII combat as told from the German side.

2. With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge. The US in the pacific equivalent of The Forgotten Soldier. Gritty, graphic, superb reading.

3. Enemy at the Gates (Also a repeat recommendation) by Roger Craig. Brilliant treatment of Stalingrad. It contains many individual accounts and brings to life the debacle on the Volga. A must for any military history buff. May be hard to find.

2. The Devil's Guard by Goerge Robert Elford. Classic individual account of life in the French Foreign Legion in Indo-China (Vietnam). Questionable veracity, but a fantastic book nonetheless. Truly shows combat at the small unit level. Required reading by soldiers of the former Rodesian Light Infantry.

3. The Centurians by Jean Larteguy. Story of the French at Dien Bien Phu. Details the battle, captivity, and life in revolutionary Algeria by the surviving Legionnaires. Fascinating reading.

4. The Cross of Iron by Willi Heinrich. The movie, does not do the book justice, and the movie is great. You get the picture....

5. The Price of Glory by Alistair Horne. Verdun. bloody deadly, terrible Verdun. A classic. Makes you realise the foolishness, ineptitude, and senseless loss of life in the Great War

6. Take That Hill by Nick Vaux. Battle of the Falklands as told by a commander in the Royal Marines, (Lieutenant Colonel Vaux). I had a hard time putting it down.