What is the movie "CROSS OF IRON" about???

I have seen it many times t the local vid store,,, but as yet have not rented it....

Is it a good film....???

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

Guest Germanboy

The first one, set in Russia, is very good, the second one (set in France) sucks rocks.

Soljuschl! (or whatever)

------------------

Andreas

The beginning of the disoluisment of the average german soldier on the east front

This particular movie one of my favorite's.

Made by sam peckinpaw take's place on the kuban pennisula that's near the sea of azov

south of rostov where the german's were cutoff and forced to retreat across the kerch' strait's into the crimea.Great film

The action in the movie is great but it has a clear political message that you probably don't like.

War sucks and especially the Naziparty and the fanatics are not liked very much by Steiner.Especially his commanding officer.

The part where one of his soldiers(NAZI or real badguy)mistreats a Russian pow and the treatment he gets after that from the remaining women(with total agree from Steiner and his men) is a clear sign of this.

But you have to watch it for yourself. " Come on take this weapon and I show you where the Iron Crosses grow."(sgt Steiner)

Sorry I called you a Nazi, redface.gif your posting becomes more and more adult each day.

If you want to send me a set-up for the villers-bocage battle,see if you win that easy to a real human. wink.gif

Henk Stoffers

The movie is excellent. It is noteworthy for a number of reasons: It is Sam Peckinpaw's last film; it is arguably James Coburn's finest performance; in some ways it was a pre-cursor to other "statement" war films such as Platoon and Apocolypse Now.

It is a very well-crafted film with outstanding performances by James Mason and Maximillian Schell, as well as Coburn and others.

Hi

CROSS OF IRON is all about me smile.gif

BTW the book it is based on was originally entitled The Willing Flesh (Das Geduldige Fleisch) and is by Willi Heinrich

An excellent film well worth watching.

Mind you I may be biased as I have it on DVD VHS and (dont laugh) Betamax smile.gif

I also own said book & the soundtrack !

Sad really when you think about it !? redface.gif

Salutations

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt Steiner:

Hi

Mind you I may be biased as I have it on DVD VHS and (dont laugh) Betamax smile.gif

I also own said book & the soundtrack !

Sad really when you think about it !? redface.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the DVD version include any extras?

I highly recomend the DVD versions of Das Boot and Stalingrad as well.

Hi

Originally posted by Red Dog:

Does the DVD version include any extras?

Scene selections alternate Languages and several Movie Stills is all.

I just got Dvd copies of A Bridge Too Far and The Bridge At Remagen but no time to watch as yet.

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOCHEN PEIPER:

I have seen it many times t the local vid store,,, but as yet have not rented it....

Is it a good film....???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK movie if you can get past the fact that the germans are driving US half-tracks, the russians are flying Corsairs, and the Ruskies also fire anti-tank rifle rounds that appear to explode on impact. (???)

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

One of my favorite,if not my #1 war movie. Note that this title did not appear in the "Worst War Movies" thread. smile.gif

BTW Steiner, there's a Private Dietz on this board too. Now what's the name of the corporal who used the Russian equipment and wouldn't bathe? "Dirt and my natural body oils combine to make me waterproof".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

That would have been Schnurrbart. After Steiner, the most interesting soldat in the squad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry von Lucke, but that was Cpl. Kruger. Schurrbart was the guy with the bushy mustache who was also quite dirty and it's really sad that I know this much about this movie. It is a great flick though.