Killing Headquarters

Hi,

I have ordered the game and to pass the time while it makes its way to Australia I have been playing the demo a few times. A question I have relates to enemny platoon, command, battalion, etc HQ units. Most of the time I have been ignoring these units and concentrating on killing the units that generally shoot back at me. However should I be doing this? What effect does killing those units have? I'm sure this info is in the manual but I haven't got the game yet so I can't check.

Also what effect does keeping my own command units close to my troops have? And how do you resupply your mortar teams when they run out?

Thanks

Tasman

I wouldn't necessarily focus on enemy HQ units. There may be certain situations in which you should do that, but not many, IMHO.

HQ units bestow certain command benefits upon subordinate units as long as they stay in command range. Some improve morale and staying power. Some increase combat ability. Some improve stealth. Some improve overall command ability of the HQ unit itself.

Point is, you should not underestimate the importance of keeping your units in command. A well-placed HQ unit in a defensive line, for instance, can mean the difference in holding and breaking. That HQ unit can keep those boys in the line and fighting effectively.

Units in command respond much more quickly to orders as well (some of this is experience based, admittedly). Try giving orders to that out-of-command squad and see how long it takes them to respond. Watch them, too, when they come under fire. 9 out of 10 times they'll crawl back into their hole. In command units are much more responsive. Particularly, IMHO, on the offensive.

A little bit on HQ units for you. Basic stuuf, really. But VERY important.

Preacher smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Preacher (edited 07-18-2000).]

Hey Welcome aboard smile.gif

to answer your questions-

Hq units help to keep your mainline troops in fighting shape. with and HQ nearby, units are less likely to become demoralized, and will respond to orders MUCH quicker. Generally it is considered critical to keep your HQ units with their platoons. (you know an hq is within command of a squad if the line to the squad is red and not black).

This said, killing enemy hq units is a far more effective tactice than eating away at their squads. When a squad looses its hq it becomes much harder to command (longer command delays) and will break and run much sooner. Hq's are also "softer" targets (i.e, they die faster than a full squad)... Often infantry fights turn into bouts of protecting your own hq units while going after your opponents (kinda like the king in chess).

Hq units also can pass certain abilities on to their men (better stealth, more hit power, ect), these abilities are listed in the hq's information screen. they are only passed on when the hq is within command range of another unit.

company hqs, have all of the traits of platoon hq's only a larger command radius (and more rallying power I believe). They also are not assigned to specific squads, and CAN (in emergancy's) be used to fill in the command role of a knocked out platoon hq (just make sure they don't die or the whole company suffers).

Batallion hqs... protect them well because global moral falls like a rock if they die.

and mortars can not be reloaded in scenarios... sorry, realistic but annoying nonetheless wink.gif

I hope that helps smile.gif

-EridanMan

preacher beat me too it, and obviously our opinions differ a bit, but hey wink.gif

everyone has different priorities.

take out a defencive line's hq with arty and it will break much faster and and much less loss you you wink.gif

-EridanMan

BTW, how big a morale hit there is for the troops, if a HQ unit

is in panic or routed? Or is there any additional penalty

to just getting out of command radius?

I know what I'd do if my commanding officer would run away

screaming "We're all going to die!" biggrin.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

I ALWAYS target HQs first.

And from what I can tell so does the AI. smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

I ALWAYS target HQs first.

And from what I can tell so does the AI. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In CM, leading from the front is a quick ticket to a Silver Star (Posthumous).

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

In CM, leading from the front is a quick ticket to a Silver Star (Posthumous).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As it was in reality. I always try to go for the HQ units. If I attack, it will help break the line. If I defend, it will make the grunts much less gung-ho about attacking me. Unfortunately my opponents seem to understand this and always put theirs in the rear, the cowards.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

As it was in reality. I always try to go for the HQ units...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. One other thought is that if you are being peppered with annoying mortar fire and can't see any mortars, there's a chance one of those HQs is the FO for it.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that enemy units which have broken are far more less likely, if at all, to return to the battle if there are no HQ’s to rally them.

Tasman - The above info on HQ units is correct, but when you do get the game out in Karratha, do have a quick look through the manual. One little nugget that I found useful in there was that it is sometimes better not to target anything and let the AI do it for you. Those little guys often do a good job of identifying the importance of those HQ units themselves and will choose them.

Other times, like if you have a specific plan of movement, it is best to target manually so your suppression fire gets spread around evenly.

Give me a buzz in Sydney when your copy shows up and we can do a PBEM.

------------------

desert rat wannabe