OT:Chicken Run has elements of a great war movie.....really.

Ok, I know this is off topic but I took a break from playing CM to take my kids to go see the movie "Chicken Run". I figured I owed it to them since I have been playing CM almost non-stop since I got it on Monday. The basic storyline is about a bunch of chickens that try to escape a chicken farm(stalag)in England. I was expecting to be bored to death. However to my suprise, the movie borrows heavily from the "The Great Escape" and other WWII prison camp movies. Mix in a little British humor and I was laughing all through the movie. Sometimes I was even laughing by myself since only a few patrons got some of the WWII movie scenes. This is a kids' movie that a WWII grog could love so take the little ones. Heck, offer to take the neighbor's kids if you are too embarassed to go by yourself smile.gif

Allan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWIIRulz:

Yeah sure, you took "your kids" to see it. Admit it, you went by yourself and enjoyed it immensley. wink.gifsmile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I did enjoy it more than my kids. I mean the chicken farm looks like a stalag complete with guard towers, wire, role call and even a "cooler" for solitary confinement. The voice actor that played the "RAF Rooster" was very good...very British and proper. Mel Gibson was not that bad as the "Yank" rooster either but there is something wrong about Mel Gibson playing a Yank.

Allan

If you like this movie, do yourself a favor and pick up the Wallace and Gromit short films also by Nick Park (director, writer, producer of Chicken Run)

done in the same animation style. The Wrong Trousers has the BEST chase scene I have EVER seen. I rewatched this and the one with the sheep today. Had a good laugh - I mean, I gotta do something until CM arrives.

Jason

Guest Scott Clinton

I took my three year-old today also. Great movie for the kids. But, we are still waiting on Thomas the Tank... wink.gif

I heard a good interview with the two creators the other day. They, in fact tired to base the atmosphere on the movie "The Great Escape". They said they even based a lot of the character's traits on traits in that movie.

For a kid's movie, out of 5 stars this one ranks an easy 4 or 4 1/2.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 06-24-2000).]

Just got back from it. We were the only non parents in the theatre 8)

I thought the film was genius, I almost came close to forgiving Mel Gibson for his English bashing movies, almost 8)

Best lines IMHO

"I am from the land of the free"

"ooh Scotland?"

and

"The RAF does NOT let poultry fly complex machinery!"

excellent movie.

_dumbo

Hey, I wanted to start this topic!

Notice that the Chicken planning hut is number 17?

The movie is loosely based with many one liners from the 1963 film "The Great Escape".

It is a great movie, the first animated comedy war movie I have ever heard of. This is really good stuff, by all means go see it.

An EGGS-ellent movie smile.gif

Also, get the Wallace and Grommit tapes, a 3pack (all of them made) at Wal-Mart goes for 12 bucks. Money well spent. "The Wrong Trousers" is great. Linux fans will apreciate the penguin, a bright coniving original little fellow.

Other shows borrowed for Chicken Run:

The grumbling old men from the Muppet Show as potrayed by the rats when they are observers.

Star Trek when the escape bird needs more power and the reference to Mrs Teeter being a "Cling On" to the wire hanging out the back.

My favorite character was the Brit Rooster, straight out caraciture of the guy from "The Bridge Over the River Kwai".

The American coming into the camp unexpectedly reminds me of the Russians coming in to help the Jews in "Sobibore" and the fact that his name is Rocky, I can't figure if it is a spoof from the Rocky movies or if it is an anti cariciture of Rocket J. Squirrel.

One thing I was kind of dissapointed about with this movie was I was hoping to see a "Wallace @ Grommit" short. Grommit is the best dog, ever.

[This message has been edited by BillWoodAgain (edited 06-24-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Yes, GREAT MOVIE!

I have always admired Nick Park's work and this one is simply marvelous!

Another famous movie scene is when Giner and Rocky escape from the oven and Ginger reaches back in and grabs her cap. Just like in Raiders of the Lost Arc!

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

What about the "airplane" the chickens use to escape? IIRC that is from another prison escape movie where the POWs make a glider and fly a high ranking officer/scientist out. The inside the pie machine sequence seems straight from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

That movie is just pure genius. I will definitely have to get the tape when it comes out just to pick up on all of the one liners and movie references.

Allan

Guys, you should have posted *SPOILER ALERt* as I am really looking forward to this movie.

How many W&G films are there in total? I think I have three in a boxed collection (Sheep, Trousers, and Trip to the Moon) Please tell me there are LOTS more available out there.

DjB

Guest Madmatt

Nope,just the three Wallace and Grommit. There is also at least one other tape of some of his earlier work which was pretty interesting too as it had a bunch of Zoo animals being interviewed.

From what I have read on the subject (all prior to the Chicken Run annoucement though) Nick said he had no interest in doing any more Wallace and Grommit stuff! frown.gif

I hope the attention that this movie will no doubt bring to his work will inspire him to re-think that earlier position.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-25-2000).]

Madmatt is referring to "Animal Comfort". Aardvark Studios, the Nick Park's enterprise, had some others short films with the same techniques, all good. They have a site which link I don't have right now.

Ariel

[This message has been edited by argie (edited 06-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by argie (edited 06-25-2000).]