Flying turrets

I played A LOT Combat Mission during the last two weeks (I'm a computer games reviewer so playing CM is my job ehehehe! biggrin.gif) but it just dawned to me that I never saw a tank turret fly due to catastrophical damage/explosions. Since this was not a rare occurrence in real life, am I just "unlucky" or actually CM's graphics do not allow for them? I must point that I do not play with many tanks around, usually, because I like more infantry skirmishes. OTOH, a turret that lands on an enemy HQ and takes it out would be cool...

There are no "flying turrets" in CM. You basically get a turret askew and a drooping barrel.

It would be my guess that a turret flying off of a tank is probably a bit more rare than you are thinking. I've heard stories about Tigers "popping" off turrents of some early T-34s, etc., but I don't know how common that really was.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reckall:

I played A LOT Combat Mission during the last two weeks (I'm a computer games reviewer so playing CM is my job ehehehe! biggrin.gif) but it just dawned to me that I never saw a tank turret fly due to catastrophical damage/explosions. Since this was not a rare occurrence in real life, am I just "unlucky" or actually CM's graphics do not allow for them? I must point that I do not play with many tanks around, usually, because I like more infantry skirmishes. OTOH, a turret that lands on an enemy HQ and takes it out would be cool...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been discussed here and it was determined that a turret popping off was a rather unlikely event and I do not believed it is modeled in the game.

but the Catastrophic explosions are nice.

smile.gif

-tom w

Hey MantaRay,

Have I had the pleasure of knocking you out before?

(KH Echo)

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear nothing, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

It happened but wasn't all that common in US and German tanks. Soviet tanks with their more "stow ALL the rounds right in the turret where any hit will cause them all to blow at once" philosophy really suffered from it.

It would be nice to add but it's one of those things which is "cool" but simply wasn't time etc to do.

Along the same lines, has anyone noticed the secondary explosions when tanks cook off. I was playing a quick battle when my Pkw IV took an AT round. There was the normal firey explosions and just as the crew bailed out there was another muffled explosion and a small fire ball under the tank. Man I love this game.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

It happened but wasn't all that common in US and German tanks. Soviet tanks with their more "stow ALL the rounds right in the turret where any hit will cause them all to blow at once" philosophy really suffered from it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A design fault that continues to this day.

If you get a hit on a russkie AFV, and the turret flies off, you know its time to paint another ring on the barrel! smile.gif

Mace

I have seen good footage of a russian tanks turret literally shooting 100m into the air strait up...

It was on one of "The World at War" documantary videos that i have...

Has anyone seen that doco "Blood on the Snow" about the war in Russia... it's a must see,,, I taped it all...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.