Coolest Thing I've Seen

In scenario (snip) my Tiger is in partial defilade with a building, when I hear a *plink*, and notice an object arcing up and over the tank-- nice and slow. The ricochet object lands on the building I'm parked next to. Inside is a cowering Track crew, that is now dead because of the ricochet object exploding!

I rewinded this about 20 times from different angles, and though I never saw the brave Piat team-- that's all it could have been.

That 10 seconds of ancillary action would likely sell 10 copies of CM after being viewed by even disinterested gamers.

------------------

"Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da!"

--British Hooligan, sung to Camptown Races

Dearest Havermeyer,

I must disagree. While I think richocheting rounds SHOULD and may in fact be modeled, what I think you saw was most likely something else.

On a few occasions I have witnessed the wonderous application of the world famouse Nahverteidigungenswaffe (...And if that's not how it's spelled to hell with it!) Vehicle point defense weapon. Which was a roof mounted, short range grenade morter designed to foil infantry close assaults. I have seen my crews employ it a couple of times and it's always a pleasant surprise (for the Axis player)

Still, you saw it and I didn't. It would indeed be cool if what you saw was a deflected round.

Zamo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zamo:

Dearest Havermeyer,

I must disagree.

Still, you saw it and I didn't. It would indeed be cool if what you saw was a deflected round.

Zamo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta come down with Havermeyer on this. My (now tedious) story (but it was the coolest thing I'VE seen) was a Sherman firing past a wreck. Shell ricochets off the wreck and explodes in front of the Sherman (causing them to button up). I also replayed this from many angles (and distances). Now, I KNOW the Germans had panzerschrecks in this scenario, and it's possible that an unseen shot blew up in front of the tank. But then the Sherman's HE shell just disappeared, because it did NOT blow up downrange (once I figured out what happened, I looked for it). So, I believe that in CM, shells can ricochet and then blow up somewhere else. As to whether that is "realistic", that's someone else's call.

This sounds more like the Nahverteidigthingie than a ricochet to me, since it does make a slow, mortarlike loop then comes down and BAM! Tank rounds will ricochet in CM, but do PIAT (or 'faust, 'shreck, bazooka) rounds do this? I haven't seen it , but maybe it just hasn't happened to me yet. wink.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Well its just as cool if the Nahverlangishdeutchishridiculousword thingy fired off the tank.

Is this thing modeled?

Perhaps that is cooler?

------------------

i have only seen tank and AT gun shells ricochet and they usually go miles of the map and not right next to the target, and they do map a noise. dont know if shreck/PIAT/zook shells will ricochet. i do love it when the ricochets hit something tho. there is one post around that says they had a stuart get a ricochet of an enemy tank and come back and take the stuart out- even had himself on his own kills list, this is very cool

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

i seem to remember ( dont quote me on this) that he had flanked a jagdtiger and was shooting at its side from just a few metres and the thing just pinged right back. serves im right for being cheeky i say smile.gif do a search for it

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

Just a thought, but couldn't you determine if it was a ricochet by checking the kills list of your Tiger? If the self defense mortar system (not going to even try to spell it in German wink.gif) killed the crew, shouldn't it be listed as a kill for the tank? If it was a ricochet, then I don't think it would be there. I have never tested this however.

Of course, you may or may not still have a save game file to reload and check with, so it may be moot.

Darren

Good point, didn't think to check about the kill record. Thanks for the replies on this. I was surprised a PIAT would ricochet given its design (notably the delivery system), I figured the thing had to have high reliability (especially to explode). Otherwise if I was an AT crew and was handed a spring loaded AT weapon to use against a Tiger, I might have some choice words (and no confidence).

------------------