Will there be another CM Western Front 44-45 game, I think there should be

I think that there should be another Western Front 44-45 game in a few years time for these reasons:

1) This is probably everyone's favourite theatre of battle, and a new game would benefit from an improved graphics system and better play mechanics.

2) D-Day has not been simulated in full 3D yet, and is an omission of this game. D-Day is arguably one of, if not the most important days in WW2 and so I would like to play it using a CM-like engine. Whether any other game company simulates D-Day in 3D is up to them, but if they did it would probably be a click-and-fire style game like Close Combat, rather than the grand overview provided by Combat Mission.

3) The battle for Berlin was missing from this game. If included in a future Combat Mission, the new 3D buildings which are sure to come would be ideal for Berlin, and all kinds of interesting sub-missions involving the bunker breakout could be concocted.

4) There are other factors which I am sure other people can think of but which I have not listed here.

Anyway, just my opinion smile.gif

Coupla nitpicks -

A lot of people think the Eastern Front was more interesting than the Western, actually. I'm one of them smile.gif

Also, RE: the Battle of Berlin. Well, there's a good reason this wasn't included in a game about the Western Front - the Russians captured Berlin smile.gif The Western Allies weren't directly involved in the Battle of Berlin.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't buy another CM-based West Front game if it were made, but I would rather see other campaigns covered before the West is revisited smile.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

There will be an early-war CM from .. 39 to 44? Should be very interesting, all sorts of odd countries and OOBs.

I think it will be cm4 from memory.

I would say it's almost certain we will see another western front CM.

However, D-day is dull. go make your own scenario if you really dig it, (or try one off the net). I mean, as germans, you sit there trying to kill everything, which means not moving and hardly touching hte units. As the allies you just run guys up a beach and hope they don't die.. well don't die much. How fun.

PeterNZ

In response:

1)It has been stated that each new release of CM will upgrade the previous versions of the game to the new standard. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

2)D-Day can be simulated with CMBO, in fact several people have done so in user-made scenarios. In a testament to the modelling that CM has used, it's sort of like the real thing. Basically carnage for the Allies and for the purposes of the game, not terribly exciting, resulting in a lot of waiting for turns to end while watching pinned down men. If that's your thing, just load up one of the scenarios and enjoy.

And incidentially while D-Day was probably *one* of the most important days in the Second World War, there is no logical argument that can be made that it was *THE* most important day or battle of the war.

3)Just realised Chupacabra addressed this point in precisely the same terms I was going to. The Russians took Berlin, why would the taking of Berlin by the 5 Allied armies represented in CMBO be included? Unless you want to do an alternate history, in which case go ahead and feel free (the editor is a wonderful, powerful tool).

4)I for one would much rather see some other theatres with the promised (hinted) upgrade of the CMBO engine and mechanics.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, RE: the Battle of Berlin. Well, there's a good reason this wasn't included in a game about the Western Front - the Russians captured Berlin The Western Allies weren't directly involved in the Battle of Berlin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, brain meltdown!! smile.gif I had just finished a book on the Battle of Berlin as well smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>However, D-day is dull. go make your own scenario if you really dig it, (or try one off the net). I mean, as germans, you sit there trying to kill everything, which means not moving and hardly touching hte units. As the allies you just run guys up a beach and hope they don't die.. well don't die much. How fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the first 25 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan were so boring weren't they!! wink.gif C'MON with an even better graphics engine, I would for one would love a D-Day simulation. Mark my words: when the Meditarranean Front game comes out, people will be making many, many D-Day scenarios!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And incidentially while D-Day was probably *one* of the most important days in the Second World War, there is no logical argument that can be made that it was *THE* most important day or battle of the war.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I said this: "D-Day is arguably one of,"

Have you noticed the thread on the Scenario Talk section about a companion disk of more scenarios and operations? This could be a resolution of this request, at least in part.

About the only thing I could see here would be an updated version of the current CMBO with some features that the current version does not have.

That too, could be included (IF it were done) in a companion disk to CMBO. Just a thought.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

It should take some 5 years (or something) to finish CM2-CM5.

I bet BTS will then start over with a new engine. smile.gif

Hey, they're in a neverending loop! biggrin.gif

I was under impression that improvements of CM2 to CM5, MIGHT be retrofitted

to earlier versions,

but only if it's easily done.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Guest Big Time Software

OK, the original questions were answered well. However, the question about beach landings should be addressed a bit more. First of all, you can simulate the first day of D-Day. You just can't simulate (very well) the landings themselves. Since CM is centered around a company sized force for a 30-40 minute battle, the reasons why we did not bother doing the landings themselves is because they would be "boring". Just think of landing your company (or most of it) and then having 50% of them mowed down before you can do so much as issue your first order other than Disembark. Then for the rest of the game have your guys get shot up to all Hell by the defending Germans. Yup, sounds like a real blast to me smile.gif No tactics, not thinking, just watching your men get cut to pieces or cut the other guy to pieces.

If you are really interested in knowing more about our very FIRM position on D-Day landings... use the Search as this has been covered in more detail before.

Steve

Steve, I see that you commented on the D-Day thing, and I happen to agree. I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding the "companion" CD which would include the user created scenarios, mods, and anything else you would want to put on it. On the scenario forum, Wild Bill and I have correspoded regarding this and I'm wondering if you care to comment. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This is probably everyone's favourite theatre of battle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a bit presumptuous don't you think? There seems to be quite a variety of 'favourites' around here. I for one wouldn't want to see anything else hold up CM3, I can't wait to take on PzII and III with 2pdrs and Boyes AT rifles biggrin.gif

------------------

"Fatso-the battlers' prince"

I for one would love to see Vietnam tackled

with BTS's eye for detail and realism. Don't

get me wrong, I dig WWII, especially with

the changes of seasons and all the various locals and nationalities involved. I'd just

like for once to have a game company handle

Vietnam in a form that was accurate

but didn't involve me imagining little

squares with X's as my troops. I've always

felt that the computer could handle wargames

better graphically than that. And Man!

doesn't Combat Mission do it well!

And I am well aware that a good part of the

game play would have to be changed seeing that Nam wasn't as armor heavy as WWII. But

it'd kick some major glutious I bet!

So I know I'll have to wait through all the

WWII theaters (What a tragedy that will be)

but afterwards...Wink wink. Nudge nudge. I'd

love to see a little South East Asian love.

Pretty Witty Witty please?

Mord

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-23-2000).]

Slightly OT, but when I saw this thread the first thing to come to my mind was: will any future improvements to the CM engine be applicable to our beloved CMBO?

I'm sure I'll love CM2, but I really hope CMBO can be updated so I won't have to "downgrade" to CMBO when I'm tired of fighting Russians, Italians, etc. in CM2+.

------------------

“Thus, the M4A3E8(76)W designation meant a tank with an official Mortality of 4 minutes, Actually 3 minutes, cost Extra, and had a 76% chance of going WHOOSH." - Bullethead