A useful book for all CM players...

An excellent source for the US Army is "World War II Order of Battle" by Shelby Stanton. This mammoth red covered book covers all US regiments and divisions. Great charts show the TO&E for battalions, regiments, etc..

Some other favorites:

Eisenhower's Lieutenants by R. Weigley

Brute Force

My favorite Bulge book is Danny Parker's "Battle of the Bulge". This has many maps, pictures and is a great bulge source book written by one of the great Bulge boardgame designers.

------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

[This message has been edited by Airborne (edited 08-02-2000).]

I would like to know the details of "the complete encyclopedia of Weapons of world war 2". I cannot find it in Amazon and B&N.

Thx in adv.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

One of the best books i have read or ever will read about WW2 is 'Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer... It is a very dramatic, human account of a german soldier's life throughout the entire war (i should say it is an autobiography, btw)... Kind of like an 'All Quiet on the Western Front' during WW2. First person accounts are always my favorite... This book gives you the war in all its destruction, violence, irony, humanity.. you name it. He really is a good writer, you almost feel like you know all the characters and that you are part of the platoon. The tank action that he sees on the Russian front goes on and on.. its gritty. action packed.. horrifying.. everything you could ever want out of a war story. I still have yet to find a story that equals this one. The only downside is that the translations are down rather haphazardly. So many military terms will be either misplaced or used in English in one chapter and used in german in another... Anyone else out there read this?? Love to hear your takes...

Zaff'

I have that book as well. I enjoyed the book. There were two quotes that I love to paraphrase out of that book.

The first won deals with the cold and how some of the fellow soldiers would be upset if in the -40 degree weather someone relieved themselves (urinated) and didn't tell anyone. Because apparently, people would put their hands under the stream to warm them up. A very shocking wake up to the real brutality and effect the cold weather had on the Eastern Front.

The second one deals with how he tries to describe tiredness and battle to the readers. He says to take for instance the reading of this book. If you stay up as long as you can and read as much as you can, just when you think you can't stay up any longer, and realize how tired you are, to multiply that by a minimum of a factor of 10 and that gets a "little" close to the fatigue in combat.

Overall a good read, although I wonder how much of it is based on memory from real events or imagined. Also, correct me if I'm wrong as it's been a few years, but wasn't he with a supply unit that drove supplies the grueling thousands of miles on the Eastern Front??

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

>Today I was putting some order on my WWII books shelf when I was hit on the head (literally) by a falling copy of HPS Simulations' "Encyclopedia of Land Combat" Volume 1. It is a thick spiral-bound book that describes weapons, vehicles, equipment and even different types of infantry squads from 1936 to 1945. It includes all major and minor countries which fought during WWII and even short sections about airplanes and ships.

Their tactical games kicks aswell, especially if you're into realistic events of things and less on-screen explotions...

(just had to tease Fionn...)

------------------

The HPS freak smile.gif

[This message has been edited by OSCAR (edited 08-02-2000).]

I also read "Company Commander" by MacDonald (mentioned above by another poster) awhile ago, great ground level description of the GI's lot. I always enjoy books by Carlo D'Este - Decision in Normandy, a Patton biography, a book about Anzio I don't have yet. D'Este's Normandy book is a very clear headed and well researched book about the whole scene, the relations amongst Eisenhower, Monty, Bradley, and the rest of them. Great read. Also a book called "Top Secret" by Ralph Ingersol (I think) and other books by him. He is a period author (the books are from the late forties early fifties). In "Top Secret" he gets into the relationships between the Brits and US, its great stuff.

If we are on the subject of books, then anything by Michael Reynolds is a must have item.

Also for those who like playing the axis forces, there is also the US war department's Handbook on German Military Forces. Published by the Louisiana State University press. about $29 dollars though you might get a discount from amazon.

I have heard that it is avialable somewhere for free in pdf format...but cannot find it myself

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, correct me if I'm wrong as it's been a few years, but wasn't he with a supply unit that drove supplies the grueling thousands of miles on the Eastern Front??

GI Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GI, yes... Sajer started out in a supply column and after a year or so joined the Grossdeutschland unit in the Wehrmacht. That is where all the action is. I dont recall the quote on the hand warming technique, the book was rather lengthy... There was a scene where they raided an officer's quarters of all kinds of food n alchohol and told all the officials to go to hell.. that was rather amusing.. Another good army book to read is The German army 1933-1945 by Matthew Cooper. Very descriptive account of the german army and the way it interacted with the Nazi party. Even interesting if your not into the military aspect... Another one Ive been wanting to order is "When the odds were Even", or something like that.. its about the Vosges compaing and looks at the style and results of fighting between evenly matched american and german forces.. sounded very interesting... anyone picked this one up??

Zaff'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverdon:

Could someone please post the ISBN for "The Complete Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know if this is the same book, but it's very good:

"The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II" (Cris Bishop Editor) ISBN 0-7607-1022-8. Coffee Table sized, bright red cover, 550 pages, many pictures & drawings. Very useful, information about many weapons from handguns throught tanks and airplanes and warships and everything in between.

I picked it up at Barnes & Noble at a deep discount for $6.50 (down from $25 at discount) I think you can get it for $25 on their website. I'd recommend it highly for a brief overview of a great number of weapons (including so far as I've seen, at least, every one in CM).

--Philistine

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Have you read Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Day yet? I bet you'd like it.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read it years ago, along with The Last Battle and A Bridge Too Far. Very good books. The D-Day book I haven't read is Max Hastings' Overlord.

-- 19 Echo

Thanks for the info guys. B&N site made me buy some other books including DNA sequencing and ballastic characteristics, etc. My fault. biggrin.gif

Griffin @ lunch.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Tom,

Please post a report on the book when you're done. It is on the discount rack at my local B&N, and I am considering buying it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ethan,

Keeping to your request, I strongly recommend this book. It does an excellent job of showing what the mindsets were for both sides at the start of WWII and why. It spends alot of time going back in time to show why reactions were what they were.

Do not expect minute details on armament and various other things, but it is a wonderful read IMVHO.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GI Tom:

Ethan,

Keeping to your request, I strongly recommend this book. It does an excellent job of showing what the mindsets were for both sides at the start of WWII and why. It spends alot of time going back in time to show why reactions were what they were.

Do not expect minute details on armament and various other things, but it is a wonderful read IMVHO.

GI Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G.I.T -- Thanks. I'll probably pick it up the next time I'm at B&N. That is if Professor Doktor Hamster X lets me; I've given him financial power of attorney now.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Oh, WTH. I just bought Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor. I compiled a list of books I want from the various past threads on this board. I have never really read any East Front books before, but with CM2 coming I feel compelled to read as much as I can. Thus I bought Stalingrad.

Other books I almost bought (read that as I will buy later smile.gif)

The Bloody Forest by Gerald Astor (about Hertgen Forest)

Barbarossa: The Russian-German Conflict 1941-45 by Alan Clark

Enemy at the Gates by William Craig

Panzer Leader by Hanz Guderian

and of course the Encylcopedia of German Tanks of WW2 by Peter Chamberlain, Hilary Doyle.

I now officially add the Complete Encyclopedia as suggest on this thread. One question though.

Is the Complete Ency. of Weapons and the Ency. of German Tanks redundant? Sounds like I need to replace the German Tank ency. with the complete encyclopedia?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Banshee,

Von Luck's book is a must read. We should be grateful that he was categorically forbidden to attack, since he had his panzer force cranked up and ready to roll on D-Day. He's also the guy who gave a Luftwaffe Flak 88 battery commander a choice between glorious combat and instant death at Bourgebous Ridge. Those guns stopped the British.

Regards,

John Kettler