MAC, Mods, help?

OK, I've been looking at all the mods out there for the PC type folks and I think I've figured out how to make them work on my Mac. Clicking on the little pic loads a big one and shows a Panther A in snow camo. I think I can make it pretty straightforward to automate the conversion process from the things available at the CMHQ.

My questions are:

1) Is what I'm seeing 'proof' that the mod installed?

2) Assuming 1's true, would Mac folks be interested in a semi-automated way to xfer PC mods to their combat mission?

By semi-automated, what I see now is using Graphic Converted to convert from BMP to PICT resource, then a program to run. I see the program asking for the original (off the CD) resource file, asking what directory has the current resource file, and comparing that resource to the CD to let you know if you've already modified it, and then modifying the resource file is you OK it. It would make a backup and be a drag and drop of the converted PICT resource files to run.

Sounds seem trickier, so I'm concentrating on the graphics first.

<A HREF="http://www.albany.net/~oplinger/Winter%20Panther.jpg">

Winter%20Panther%20Small.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bsoplinger:

I'd say yes and yes

Dave Rat aikidorat@home.com has also been working on this idea. Give him an email jingle and maybe the two of you can connect and have it put together to relieve our collective Mac envy..

(PS) Excuse the haste.....They look good, hey feel free to share biggrin.gif Do I sound desparate yet???

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 08-25-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

What I am wondering is whether there is any point in my trying to use hi-res textures on a machine that only has a 4MB card?

Michael

Hi res textures need 16m ram. We found that out in testing. They really push the limits.

Sorry, you'll need more power to see them (including the grids, only seem to work with 16M)

dave

ps. I emailed bsoplinger regarding the mod manager. After we chat one or both of us will post an update for the rest of the mac users.

------------------

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once

Guest Michael emrys

Problem with the Cubes is no expansion slots. You're stuck with whatever video card it comes with. If it wasn't for that, I'd get one myself in a hot minute.

Michael

Just a followup on the status of my Mac Mod maker (gleamed from an email with akiadorat):

Anyhow, I got ambitious this weekend, stayed up late, etc. I've got a pretty well working program. Things in it now:

Name of the Graphics file, the PICT #being worked on, a skip 1 item, skip all items, replace 1 item, replace all, preview of the new PICT and the old one (or summer if its winter camo and the file doesn't have a winter), progress bar. The thing also accepts picts and jpgs and tiff files, not just BMPs.

Things I still need to do:

Convince the @#$% RealBasic to let the application it creates to support drag and drop. Right now you have to launch the app then drag the bmp files to it. (Btw, I found out that the file type is 'BMPf' if its a Quicktime BMP and 'BMP ' a GraphicConverter one)

Convince the doubly #$%^ RealBasic to use the custom icon I threw together when it builds the app.

Intelligently search for the right file, that is, have the user select a 'Graphics xx' file, but then check that the resources are there, and ask what to do it they aren't (allowing for the winter camo schemes).

Don't make a backup file of the original until its needed.

If I'm feeling horribly ambitious, let the user drag a pic in the preview window (for those rare cases when the thing's bigger than the 128x128 I've allowed for).

Actually RealBasic is a pretty nice package, just a bit sparse on the documention. So I'm sure my problems are most likely due to errors on my part and not bugs with RealBasic

I agree that you're stuck with whatever video card comes with the G4 Cube (right now, an ATI 16 meg card, IIRC). But it's a hell of a machine anyway (i.e., it will run CM very well wink.gif ). Otherwise you're gonna have to pay for a G4 Tower, and get less bang for the buck.

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bsoplinger:

Just a followup on mthe status of my Mac Mod maker (gleamed from an email with akiadorat):

Things I still need to do:

... the application it creates to support drag and drop.

...use the custom icon I threw together when it builds the app.

Intelligently search for the right file, that is, have the user select a 'Graphics xx' file, but then check that the resources are there, and ask what to do it they aren't (allowing for the winter camo schemes).

Don't make a backup file of the original until its needed.

If I'm feeling horribly ambitious, let the user drag a pic in the preview window (for those rare cases when the thing's bigger than the 128x128 I've allowed for).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, did more work. Got drag and drop working just fine and the custom icon. Both were related to how one defines a RealBasic project. It wasn't clear in the docs what was needed but I found the answer from the mailing list.

The app doesn't make a backup until the user chooses to replace a resource. This allows the app to be used as a browser of what's already in the Graphics file.

I made up a archive and sent it off to 1 person, he had a favorable impression, so now I just have to figure out how and where to release it.

Oh, in re-reading this I noticed I forgot a big step I've included. You don't need anything other than QuickTime 4 installed, the app will open the PC .bmp files directly.

[This message has been edited by bsoplinger (edited 08-27-2000).]

Hey, bsoplinger, why don't you check with MadMatt about putting it up on CHMQ? The Mac versions of the MDMPs are already there.

Great work, by the way. I look forward to not having Mod Envy thanks to your efforts! wink.gif

------------------

Hey guys, just an update...

been talking with bsoplinger, who can code much faster, elegantly, and effectively than I, and we're going to do one of the following things:

1. post both versions of the mod managers (take that, PC guys! Not 1 but 2! mod managers for the mac :) ).

His is simple, drop and drag, and elegant, and the one I've been doing which allows you to play with the resources more (revert whole resource, revert specific IDs, view what is in each resource file), though it is a bit more involved to use, and not nearly as elegant.

2. Combine elements of both into one program

either way, should be pretty soon. the one I've been working on is in test right now, and a few nits and bugs have been discovered. We're working on testing the other, but it looks pretty good right now.

Either one is way cool, and allows for very fast mods. Look for an update, and hopefully a release, coming real soon.

thought you'd like to know. We're racing to finish them up for you mac users!

We're also debating on providing the standard patches for MDMP-2, in addition to the mod manager. Not sure yet if we will, or just allow the Mac Combat Mission Mod Manager (MCMMM) - like it MadMatt? - to handle all the future MDMP's.

later

dave

------------------

Kudos to bsoplinger and aikidorat! No more Mac mod envy! Now we can sit back and enjoy it when those sorry PC users bitch about how complicated it is to deal with the upgrade patches! biggrin.gif

------------------

I made up a archive and sent it off to 1 person, he had a favorable impression, so now I just have to figure out how and where to release it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attention Mac Users, Our day of liberation is almost at hand.

As prob. the "1 person" I got a chance to "beta" test the CM MacMod maker. It's freakin cool. As aikidorat mentioned, very elegant. Simple to use. I pretty much DL'd the entire set of stuff from CMHQ. Winter mods, AFV and Infantry, New village and church building mods, (two!)New Tiger looks, all mine, all installed and running on my Mac Bwahahaha....oh yes where was I. Hats off to bsoplinger and aikidorat for supporting the Mac community. Way to go guys

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

I cannot thank you two fine individuals enough! I've wanted to do more with Mods, but it was too time consuming, and too annoying to change things back if I didn't like something. You're both stand up fellows, bsoplinger and aikidorat!

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

BTW to the Coders

I imagine you guys are planning on releasing this little gem as freeware.

But for all your hard work you have other choices

1. Shareware (I'd kick in a few bucks !!!)

2. Charityware (free but we donate to a cause that either you or the downloader picks)

Just a suggestion.

We CM Mac players all appreciate your efforts

there are multiple ways we can express it

Cool! VERY COLL! nice work

Is it publically available?

Where is it and how can I get it?

It sounds great but how do you get your hands on this little magical piece of Software?

just curious, thanks

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Remember that no dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be coming out soon. Bsoplinger got tied up with some other stuff for a few days, and I'm just doing some tweaks to the other version.

based on Bsoplinger's work though, I think we'll have something usable out in the next week, two tops. Sorry, just a bit longer. Trying to do a decent job, not some hack.

then again, mine just may be a hack so....

Not talking for bsoplinger, but the version I'm doing will be freeware. Cant see making anything off something to support CM. I'm getting a chance to learn some new skills, and that's good enough for me.

off to work on it some more.

later!

dave

------------------

On the freeware/shareware/donationware thing...

I spent 100 bucks to get a version of RealBasic that would produce and app without a timelimit (That's how they do the demo, it stops 30 days from when its built, only runs 5 minutes. A pretty kewl way to try out the program).

I'll probably find other uses for it now that I have it, so I'm leaning towards a 5 or 10 shareware fee, but with full features and no nagging, so nobody'd have to pay to use it.

PS: After looking at aikidorat's version, I added the ability to drop a resource file on the app, to let you revert back to the CD versions of things if needed. The only trouble with my version, since its visual, it can be pretty slow to skip the first 200 PICTs you don't want to change to get to the ones you do. Perhaps I can add a slider or index, that would be enabled when a resource file as opposed to a graphic file is dropped on the app

On the freeware/shareware/donationware thing...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would happily pay a $5 shareware fee for a utility like this, and, if the project were a joint venture, and he wouldn't take any payment, another $5 to a charity of aikidorat's naming (provided it wasn't something disturbing, like the Hamster Liberation Front). I think any Mac Mod user worth the powder to blow them from the gun muzzle would feel the same. Thanks for this labour of love, guys.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

I would enjoy learning how to use the kinds of tools and software you guys the two you are using to code the mac mod maker,

I'll happily pay for the final product ($ 5.00 or $ 10.00 Cnd :) or $5.00 US ) but I would really like to know how it was made how it works and how to set up the Mac mods in ResEdit or what ever else you are using.

I must admit I'm geting too Old (about 40) to learn the hard way by actually doing it myself, 5 or 6 years ago I would have enjoyed hacked it myslef and spent a weekend doing it but now I hardly have enough free time to play CM never mind learn new ResEdit tricks to master the MAc Mod manager miracle. I'm really happy you two have taken this upon your selves and I will be very supportive (financially) off your efforts.

Thanks guys

-tom w

Hey Jeff Smith: My signature quote, which I still love, was in an early Dilbert cartoon.

And to all you others: I also have been privileged to try out the program (bsoplinger's), and it rocks! I'd pay a $10 shareware fee without even thinking about it.

Them Shermies look nice when they're dirty! biggrin.gif

------------------

Hi everyone!

well, moving closer to getting these two programs released. Bsoplinger and I have decided to release BOTH versions for you guys to use. They both have their purposes, and allows you to decide just how much you want to muck around with CM.

I've sent Mac CM Mod Manager (MCMMM), my version, to one of the testers Bsoplinger is using, so we can get some opinions from a guy who has used both. You can then decide which one you want to use. Or just use both.

As for MCMMM status, here's an update after some testing and a new version:

MCMMM allows the user to open up a folder of PICTs or bmps, then select all, or just a few to Convert into CM. When you select on a file, a preview comes up showing what the mod looks like (nope, not a 3-d preview, thought that would be cool!). The user then selects which DATA folder he wants to modify. This way you can do one of a few things:

- keep different data folder for different mods (or graphics files)

- modify the data folder in the CM directory of your harddrive

- practice on something and then move the modified data file into the CM data directory

For the more adventuresome, you can play with the resources directly by clicking on the advanced button. This opens up a new list where you load in the grapics file (resource file) of your choice. Select a resource ID,and a preview comes up showing what is currently in the resource.

You can then select all, or a few, of the resources and revert them to either the original CM version (on the CD), or a different version of the file you may have made. Say MDMP-1 and then MDMP-2, you can revert MDMP-2 to MDMP-1 if you want.

I'm also adding a revert file feature so you dont have to select all the files and then revert them, but i have a bit of a bug in that part right now.

SO far, MCMMM does not support drag and drop, but I may add that at a future time, depending on demand, number of users, etc. Also plannning on adding a few other features (maybe not for first release, but future ones), such as:

opening up the bmp or PICT full size when you double click on the preview,

displaying the file size and resolution so you can tell if it's hi-res or not, that kinda thing.

So,there you go.

Before i depart, I have to thank Bsoplinger for coming along, as he's created a good product, and pushed me to make mine better. With luck we'll figure out a sound manager sometime after we get the graphics managers out to you all.

Another update in a couple of days, after I get some more testing info back. We're close though, for both programs.

best,

dave

------------------